Author Topic: Analysis Part 2- Electric Boogaloo  (Read 2472 times)

Offline Firesteel

• Some Kind of Writer
    • Steam
    • Twitter
    • YouTube Channel
Analysis Part 2- Electric Boogaloo
Hello again general discussion. Here's part 2 of the series of indeterminate length about Freespace, mainly discussing the game's opening and first four missions with lots of straw grasping to boot! At the very least I hope that, even if you disagree with me at some parts, that Freespace 1 still has some successes that made it a unique experience and that it's both a good game in its own right and laid a fantastic foundation for Freespace 2 and the community here. Enjoy!

Current Projects:

- Video Critiques of Freespace
- Re-learning FRED

Offline Trivial Psychic

• Snoop Junkie
Re: Analysis Part 2- Electric Boogaloo
Nice.  For a second I thought you were playing my FS-TGW Augmented as I saw the Omega listed as "Scanned".
The Trivial Psychic Strikes Again!

Offline Firesteel

• Some Kind of Writer
    • Steam
    • Twitter
    • YouTube Channel
Unfortunately TGW Augmented is another thing I have yet to get around to.

One other weird thing from FSPort (that I can't remember from retail) was the Lucifer just showing up in Doomsday, no warp in, just pops into existence. I vaguely remember it warping in with retail but it's been too long.
Current Projects:

- Re-learning FRED

Offline Cyborg17

• Life? Don't talk to me about life....
Well done!  Might want to add a note or link for Silent Threat Reborn, in case any newbies stumble upon the video.

Offline Firesteel

• Some Kind of Writer
    • Steam
    • Twitter
    • YouTube Channel
Good thinking. It'll be at least 4 more videos before I get around to Silent Threat in the first place.

I'm still debating whether to lump Hammer and the Anvil in with the rest of the Shivan stuff or leave it for its own video since it's one of my favorite missions and is one of the best examples of the way Freespace can deal with technology in game.
Current Projects:

- Re-learning FRED

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
This is excellent.  Very thoughtful commentary, with some insights that I hadn't considered before, or had glossed over.  Well done!  Can't wait for the next video.

EDIT:

One other weird thing from FSPort (that I can't remember from retail) was the Lucifer just showing up in Doomsday, no warp in, just pops into existence. I vaguely remember it warping in with retail but it's been too long.

Believe it or not, the no-arrival-warp flag is present in the retail mission, too.  When we did the most recent mission conversion, we left it as it was.  Perhaps we should change it.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2017, 02:42:37 pm by Goober5000 »

Offline Firesteel

• Some Kind of Writer
    • Steam
    • Twitter
    • YouTube Channel
Thanks!

As for the Lucifer's arrival flag, it's the age old question of accurate emulation/porting vs. possible fixes.

Not that I'm advocating having two versions of the FSPort just for this change but considering what feels like a renewed interest retail FS and updating it (TGW Augmented and FS Blue come to mind), it might be interesting to see what sort of changes the FSPort team might come up with but hey, I'm just spitballing.
Current Projects:

- Re-learning FRED

Offline Droid803

• Trusted poster of legit stuff
  • /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕ 人\ Do you want to be a Magical Girl?
Good stuff!
(´・ω・`)
=============================================================

Offline Bossman

This is awesome -- looking forward to the rest

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
I really enjoyed that. I'm looking forwards to the next video but even more so to when you get around to FS2 (which I've always felt was the much deeper of the two).
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline Firesteel

• Some Kind of Writer
    • Steam
    • Twitter
    • YouTube Channel
If I can keep the upload schedule to weekly (we'll see when grad school starts in a couple months) I'll hopefully get to FS2 in a month. I'm still planning on talking about Silent Threat Reborn before it (mainly to set up the state of affairs by the time Freespace 2 rolls around and to do a bit of showcasing of some of HLP's work in the process). I'm also debating about bothering to do a video on Operation Templar. I can't remember if I ever finished it but it might be worth a look, again to complete the lines from FS1 to FS2.

Thanks for the support guys, glad you like what I've done so far!
Current Projects:

- Re-learning FRED

Offline Firesteel

• Some Kind of Writer
    • Steam
    • Twitter
    • YouTube Channel
I figured I'd post a schedule update here since you guys are probably my primary audience for this stuff.

I'm working on the next FS1 video and I might wind up splitting the Shivans into 2 parts simply because of how much there is to talk about with Out of the Dark, Into the Night. Also I'm going on vacation next week so if I don't get anything up I'll definitely keep the Shivan discussion in 1 video. After the possible 2-parter with the Shivans I'm guessing there'll be only 1 or 2 more videos about FS1. Then it'll be on to Silent Threat: Reborn for likely 3 videos though that's a rough estimate at best.

Again thank you all for your support on this project and I hope my little way of giving back to the community's going to keep being enjoyable!
Current Projects:

- Re-learning FRED

Offline Firesteel

• Some Kind of Writer
    • Steam
    • Twitter
    • YouTube Channel
Also, here's a bit of a preview for the upcoming video. It will contain a fairly lengthy section about why Paving the Way is a good mission :D
Current Projects:

- Re-learning FRED

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
:yes:

I'm interested to hear your take on Paving the Way.  The first time I played it, one of my friends commented that it was just the classic arcade game Asteroids with better graphics and plot.

Offline Firesteel

• Some Kind of Writer
    • Steam
    • Twitter
    • YouTube Channel
Now the pressure's on (and the second guessing after I did a few editing passes while recording) :D.
Current Projects:

- Re-learning FRED