Author Topic: The Neu Mainpage: Discuss!  (Read 7650 times)

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Re: The Neu Mainpage: Discuss!
One thing that should be mentioned is that wxLauncher can no longer retrieve the latest news from the main page. :nervous:

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
Things appear...extremely basic; the black background on the majority of the page is blah, and the fact that news items and highlights aren't even bordered or given anything other than chunks of text on a black background is not visually appealing. Nor is it a particularly good layout for comprehensibility. If not for the blue "Read More" text that cuts each of them off it would not be obvious to someone simply reading the text portion where they're supposed to stop. If someone ever writes a concise announcement...
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline SypheDMar

• Student, Volunteer, Savior
    • Minecraft
I like the style of the page. It seems very contemporary and useable on mobile devices now. Lots of tweaks need to be made, but I think this is a great start.

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
Not directly related to the new main page, but since you are working on the website, I figured I'd bring up the utterly useless blue news bar on the top of the forums.

Might as well removed it, because its just clutter on top of the page that is unused.
Urutorahappī!!

[02:42] <@Axem> spoon somethings wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> critically wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> im happy with these missions now
[02:44] <@Axem> well
[02:44] <@Axem> with 2 of them

Offline Black Wolf

• Twisted Infinities
  • Hey! You! Get off-a my cloud!
    • Visit the TI homepage!
The original idea with the blue news bar was that news would expire after a couple of weeks, so the only clutter that anyone would notice would be temporary. Without that fading out, it doesn't really work as intended.
TWISTED INFINITIES · SECTORGAME· FRONTLINES
Rarely Updated P3D.
Burn the heretic who killed F2S! Burn him, burn him!!- GalEmp

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Actually, news must be manually removed, which I've just done.

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper
FYI, I haven't forgotten this thread... I've been working on integrating forum content into EE, so we can get things like Recent Topics and whatnot (Google "SMF SSI.php" to see what all I can work with) showing up on the mainpage.
SERIOUSLY...! | {The Sandvich Bar} - Rhino-FS2 Tutorial | CapShip Turret Upgrade | The Complete FS2 Ship List | System Background Package

"...The quintessential quality of our age is that of dreams coming true. Just think of it. For centuries we have dreamt of flying; recently we made that come true: we have always hankered for speed; now we have speeds greater than we can stand: we wanted to speak to far parts of the Earth; we can: we wanted to explore the sea bottom; we have: and so  on, and so on: and, too, we wanted the power to smash our enemies utterly; we have it. If we had truly wanted peace, we should have had that as well. But true peace has never been one of the genuine dreams - we have got little further than preaching against war in order to appease our consciences. The truly wishful dreams, the many-minded dreams are now irresistible - they become facts." - 'The Outward Urge' by John Wyndham

"The very essence of tolerance rests on the fact that we have to be intolerant of intolerance. Stretching right back to Kant, through the Frankfurt School and up to today, liberalism means that we can do anything we like as long as we don't hurt others. This means that if we are tolerant of others' intolerance - especially when that intolerance is a call for genocide - then all we are doing is allowing that intolerance to flourish, and allowing the violence that will spring from that intolerance to continue unabated." - Bren Carlill

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper
One thing that should be mentioned is that wxLauncher can no longer retrieve the latest news from the main page. :nervous:

Can wxLauncher parse RSS feeds?

Also, I'll take suggestions on where to place a nice visible FORUMS button on the main site... :)
SERIOUSLY...! | {The Sandvich Bar} - Rhino-FS2 Tutorial | CapShip Turret Upgrade | The Complete FS2 Ship List | System Background Package

"...The quintessential quality of our age is that of dreams coming true. Just think of it. For centuries we have dreamt of flying; recently we made that come true: we have always hankered for speed; now we have speeds greater than we can stand: we wanted to speak to far parts of the Earth; we can: we wanted to explore the sea bottom; we have: and so  on, and so on: and, too, we wanted the power to smash our enemies utterly; we have it. If we had truly wanted peace, we should have had that as well. But true peace has never been one of the genuine dreams - we have got little further than preaching against war in order to appease our consciences. The truly wishful dreams, the many-minded dreams are now irresistible - they become facts." - 'The Outward Urge' by John Wyndham

"The very essence of tolerance rests on the fact that we have to be intolerant of intolerance. Stretching right back to Kant, through the Frankfurt School and up to today, liberalism means that we can do anything we like as long as we don't hurt others. This means that if we are tolerant of others' intolerance - especially when that intolerance is a call for genocide - then all we are doing is allowing that intolerance to flourish, and allowing the violence that will spring from that intolerance to continue unabated." - Bren Carlill

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper
I could fit a Forums link up top if I minimized the wording on some of the other navigation items. Also, I think they could stand to be rearranged a lot more logically. Here's what we have now:

• HLP Network:
  • HLP
    • Main Site
    • Forums
    • Donate
    • IRC links
  • FreeSpace Wiki
    • Various
    • Wiki
    • Links
  • Hosted Projects
    • Ginormous
    • List
  • External Sites
    • A list of other sites
    • SCP list
    • SectorgGame List
    • ModDB list
  • Mantis
    • Link to a forum thread (?!?)
    • SCP Mantis
    • HLP Mantis (Hosted Projects)
  • Installing FreeSpace Open
    • Installer
    • Manual Installation
      • Windows
      • Linux
      • Mac

I'd like to change that, but before I suggest what I have in mind, I'd like to present the issues with this setup that I can see, and then hear from you guys.

• IRC stuff is hidden under HLP.
  • Forums should be more prominent
  • "FreeSpace Wiki", "Hosted Projects", and "External Sites" are unnecessarily long (the actual menu names, not the contents of those menus)
  • "Mantis" is completely meaningless to Joe Schmo who just downloaded FSO and wants to report a bug
  • "Installing FreeSpace Open" is too specific for a nav menu.

For your suggestions, think along the lines of what kind of menu items are commonly seen on the web... "Community", "Downloads", "Support", etc.

I think that some issues with the interface can be solved simply if you have the "HLP" tab open by default. This would solve problems 1 and 2 without re-arranging anything.

#3 - Just "Wiki", "Projects", "Links"?

Personally I'd like to see the menu bar tilted to the left (just like it is right now on the forums), and order highlights and news vertically rather then horizontally. Again, similar to the forum layout. I like the forum layout, and since that is where the most time on this site is spend, ensuring that the main webpage mirrors the look and feel of the forum would go a long way IMO.

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper
Well, seeing as there's a distinct lack of interest in this, I think I'll just go ahead and do what I see fit. :p Thanks for your reply, Joshua - your suggestions are pretty much exactly what I had in mind. :)

Offline Yarn

Now there doesn't seem to be a link to the main forum page anymore; I only see links to various boards now. Can you please restore that link?
"Your fighter is running out of oil.  Please check under the hood and add more if necessary"
--strings.tbl, entry 177

"Freespace is very tired.  It is shutting down to get some rest."
--strings.tbl, entry 178

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper
Ok, I've rearranged the menus on the frontpage to be more standard-y. For consistency, once we've nailed down that menu, I'll change the equivalent menu on the forums to match.

I also added a nice visible "Forums" link in the top-right corner.

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Pbthht.  You yourself asked me to come up with the menu arrangement and now you don't like it?  No wonder you have trouble getting people to help fill out the main page. :p

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper
Pbthht.  You yourself asked me to come up with the menu arrangement and now you don't like it?  No wonder you have trouble getting people to help fill out the main page. :p

I wanted to have a place to start. :p Besides, I needed to make room for the much-demanded 1-click "Forums" button... ;)

Would people prefer the nav menus push the site down (as they do currently), or hover over the upper part of the page?

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
Dunno if I'm just that blind, but I'm still not seeing any one-click forum link on there.  Granted I like the Community menu a lot more than the previous option.

Offline niffiwan

• Eluder Class
I vote for hover over.  I find the push down disconcerting & unfamiliar.

(I also downsized that Volition logo in the highlights from 6017x4513 to 1440x1080, despite having a small filesize I swear it was messing with page load times... :D)

(ps. +1 to the post from Mongoose)
Creating a fs2_open.log | Red Alert Bug = Hex Edit | MediaVPs 2014: Bigger HUD gauges | 32bit libs for 64bit Ubuntu
----
Debian Packages (testing/unstable): Freespace2 | wxLauncher
----
m|m: I think I'm suffering from Stockholm syndrome. Bmpman is starting to make sense and it's actually written reasonably well...

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper
Whoops, my bad - it was still wrapped in my "Only show this to admins" testing code. It should be showing now.

I'll change things to hover as well and let people see what they think. Nothing's set in stone, so if it's worse somehow, it can be changed back.

EDIT: Ok, menu is set to hover over things instead of pushing them down.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2014, 08:34:53 pm by Sandwich »

Offline niffiwan

• Eluder Class
... it is possible to make the hover background partially transparent?  :nervous:
Creating a fs2_open.log | Red Alert Bug = Hex Edit | MediaVPs 2014: Bigger HUD gauges | 32bit libs for 64bit Ubuntu
----
Debian Packages (testing/unstable): Freespace2 | wxLauncher
----
m|m: I think I'm suffering from Stockholm syndrome. Bmpman is starting to make sense and it's actually written reasonably well...

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper
Yes, done, but IMO, not worth it. Looks confusing to me... and that's with only 5% of the BG showing through.