Author Topic: ANOTHER BP2 Problem!  (Read 5005 times)

And just when I was getting comfortable....

So after my fight to get it working past the second mission; things have been running pretty smooth. I've made it up to the mission named "The Blunder" in Chap. 2. Everytime I get 3 clicks out from the main ship (can't recall the exact name right now) - the game (as if like clockwork) freezes entirely. I pressed the enter key, and it simply crashed to the desktop (must have been the usual Windows error dialog; 'FreeSpace2.exe has stopped working').

Not sure what the problem is now, but seriously, BP2 obviously does not want me to play it.  :banghead: HELP!.

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• The Cthulhu programmer himself!
    • Twitter
Please post your fs2_open.log file.  Instructions on how to do this can be found in this post.
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Codethulhu GitHub wgah'nagl fhtagn.

schrödinbug (noun) - a bug that manifests itself in running software after a programmer notices that the code should never have worked in the first place.

When you gaze long into BMPMAN, BMPMAN also gazes into you.

"I am one of the best FREDders on Earth" -General Battuta

<Aesaar> literary criticism is vladimir putin

<MageKing17> "There's probably a reason the code is the way it is" is a very dangerous line of thought. :P
<MageKing17> Because the "reason" often turns out to be "nobody noticed it was wrong".
(the very next day)
<MageKing17> this ****ing code did it to me again
<MageKing17> "That doesn't really make sense to me, but I'll assume it was being done for a reason."
<MageKing17> **** ME
<MageKing17> THE REASON IS PEOPLE ARE STUPID
<MageKing17> ESPECIALLY ME

<MageKing17> God damn, I do not understand how this is breaking.
<MageKing17> Everything points to "this should work fine", and yet it's clearly not working.
<MjnMixael> 2 hours later... "God damn, how did this ever work at all?!"
(...)
<MageKing17> so
<MageKing17> more than two hours
<MageKing17> but once again we have reached the inevitable conclusion
<MageKing17> How did this code ever work in the first place!?

<@The_E> Welcome to OpenGL, where standards compliance is optional, and error reporting inconsistent

<MageKing17> It was all working perfectly until I actually tried it on an actual mission.

<IronWorks> I am useful for FSO stuff again. This is a red-letter day!
* z64555 erases "Thursday" and rewrites it in red ink

<MageKing17> TIL the entire homing code is held up by shoestrings and duct tape, basically.

Please post your fs2_open.log file.  Instructions on how to do this can be found in this post.
Here it is.

So I ran the process to get the log, and I was able to progress past the part where it usually crashes. I encountered one error message, but not critical, I was able to continue. However, the lag was too much to tolerate, so I had to simply go with the data I gathered. I don't why the game suddenly (kind of) complies when running the DEBUG build. This is a strange program. I'll try the normal build again, but I dunno what's going to happen. Hopefully that log reveals the issue.

[attachment kidnapped by pirates]

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• Twitter
The checksums of your VPs in the /blueplanet/ folder don't match mine; you may want to try reinstalling Age of Aquarius just in case.

You also don't need the *-compat.vp files.

schrödinbug (noun) - a bug that manifests itself in running software after a programmer notices that the code should never have worked in the first place.

<MageKing17> "There's probably a reason the code is the way it is" is a very dangerous line of thought. :P
<MageKing17> Because the "reason" often turns out to be "nobody noticed it was wrong".
(the very next day)
<MageKing17> "That doesn't really make sense to me, but I'll assume it was being done for a reason."
<MageKing17> **** ME

<MageKing17> Everything points to "this should work fine", and yet it's clearly not working.
(...)
<MageKing17> so

<@The_E> Welcome to OpenGL, where standards compliance is optional, and error reporting inconsistent

<MageKing17> It was all working perfectly until I actually tried it on an actual mission.

<MageKing17> TIL the entire homing code is held up by shoestrings and duct tape, basically.

The checksums of your VPs in the /blueplanet/ folder don't match mine; you may want to try reinstalling Age of Aquarius just in case.

You also don't need the *-compat.vp files.
Age of Aquarius ran fine, though. It's War in Heaven that's  bugging out.

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• Twitter
War in Heaven depends upon Age of Aquarius. If you've got some subtle corruption problem, or just an outdated installation, it can affect War in Heaven, even if Age of Aquarius plays without issue.

(the very next day)
<MageKing17> **** ME

(...)
<MageKing17> so

War in Heaven depends upon Age of Aquarius. If you've got some subtle corruption problem, or just an outdated installation, it can affect War in Heaven, even if Age of Aquarius plays without issue.
I see.
I'm running the FSO Installer now to clean up whatever mess there is. It has done something to AoA and WiH, so I'll see how it goes whenever it's complete.

UPDATE:
Alright, so I tried it out again, and I was able to complete "The Plunder". Right after the debriefing, the game began to load the next mission, then this beautiful little message appeared:

Malloc Failed!

ntdll.dll! ZwWaitForSingleObject + 21 bytes
kernel32.dll! WaitForSingleObjectEx + 67 bytes
kernel32.dll! WaitForSingleObject + 18 bytes
fs2_open_3_7_2_RC4.exe! <no symbol>
KERNELBASE.dll! CheckTokenMembership + 943 bytes
<no module>! <no symbol>
<no module>! <no symbol>
<no module>! <no symbol>
<no module>! <no symbol>
<no module>! <no symbol>
<no module>! <no symbol>
<no module>! <no symbol>
<no module>! <no symbol>
<no module>! <no symbol>
<no module>! <no symbol>
<no module>! <no symbol>
<no module>! <no symbol>
<no module>! <no symbol>
<no module>! <no symbol>
<no module>! <no symbol>
<no module>! <no symbol>
<no module>! <no symbol>
<no module>! <no symbol>
<no module>! <no symbol>
<no module>! <no symbol>
<no module>! <no symbol>
<no module>! <no symbol>
<no module>! <no symbol>
<no module>! <no symbol>
<no module>! <no symbol>
<no module>! <no symbol>

-- What have I done to deserve this -- ?
« Last Edit: January 12, 2015, 07:07:38 pm by Prince_AKR »

You got a pretty slow rig for BP2. It's a demanding mod.

Updating your BP and BP2 installation to the most recent version is definitely recommended.

Since malloc keeps failing try to clean your rig before playing BP2. Close all background processes, to give your operating system some memory to work with. Browsers and update services eat lots of memory, too. Same as Skype.

You got a pretty slow rig for BP2. It's a demanding mod.

Updating your BP and BP2 installation to the most recent version is definitely recommended.

Since malloc keeps failing try to clean your rig before playing BP2. Close all background processes, to give your operating system some memory to work with. Browsers and update services eat lots of memory, too. Same as Skype.
It's a 4 year old Dell. She's no powerhouse, believe me, I know. Even so, I'm in no position to upgrade it. I'm also well aware of clearing out resources, that's why I use Advanced SystemCare's "Turbo Mode" and Razor Cortex.

It's a 4 year old Dell. She's no powerhouse, believe me, I know. Even so, I'm in no position to upgrade it. I'm also well aware of clearing out resources, that's why I use Advanced SystemCare's "Turbo Mode" and Razor Cortex.
Dunno, I don't really believe in software like that because it usually does what you can do manually and takes more resources which could be free. Had a very slow rig with 4GB of ram and no option to upgrade it in the past (A year ago), I know how it feels. :) *pats on the shoulder*
I really hope you will be able to go through BP2 because it's such a great mod but there will be some missions esp. at the end of act 2 and 3 which probably cripple your system entirely.
Your ram is only single channel and ddr2. You may be able to find a 2nd module on ebay or a local used electronics store to top it up to 8GB and dual channel which would make a good impact on performance. If you're lucky it'll be less than 30 bucks but the specs have to fit for that option to work.
Good luck with any options you might have, there *holds thumbs* ^^

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• Twitter
Make sure you don't still have any Advanced VP files lying around (bp-adv.vp, bp2-adv.vp, MV_Advanced.vp). The Advanced packages contain larger textures that could be eating your available RAM.

(the very next day)
<MageKing17> **** ME

(...)
<MageKing17> so

Make sure you don't still have any Advanced VP files lying around (bp-adv.vp, bp2-adv.vp, MV_Advanced.vp). The Advanced packages contain larger textures that could be eating your available RAM.
Moved em out. Let's see what happens.
EDIT: Alright. It's working. My only issue (for now at least) is actually passing the mission. It's pretty tough. The lag is real, though. I don't get it; I've ran other demanding games without too much trouble (like Just Cause 2 and Need for Speed Most Wanted 2012); what on earth is so big in War in Heaven that it's demanding this much out of the system?
« Last Edit: January 13, 2015, 09:32:50 pm by Prince_AKR »

-Full mesh collisions on high res ship models.
-AI in 3D space.
-Lots of projectiles and their collisions as well.
-Much more scripting than other mods.
Even I got FPS drops at times (from 60 down to 40fps) and my system is an AMD Piledriver 8x4.5GHZ 16GB DDR3 1600+ Radeon HD 7870
As I said, it's a demanding mod and there's much more going on in simulation terms than in games like NFS MW 2012 and Just Cause 2. :)

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• Twitter
Plus FSO is a single-threaded, not very well-optimized engine. Swifty's "deferred lighting and shadows" branch, despite having more graphical capabilities, actually gives me better performance due to also including optimizations.

(the very next day)
<MageKing17> **** ME

(...)
<MageKing17> so

Plus FSO is a single-threaded, not very well-optimized engine. Swifty's "deferred lighting and shadows" branch, despite having more graphical capabilities, actually gives me better performance due to also including optimizations.
And with that being said, as well as what Alzurana said, is there anyway for me to boost the performance a bit?

And with that being said, as well as what Alzurana said, is there anyway for me to boost the performance a bit?
Overclock ^^

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• Twitter
Well, you can try one of Swifty's builds (that's the newest one I could find). It's not up-to-date with the latest trunk changes, but you can see if it gives you a better framerate.

(the very next day)
<MageKing17> **** ME

(...)
<MageKing17> so

Overclock ^^
Overclocking on a sandy bridge i3 notebook CPU. let me know how that goes.

You're best bet (if your really tight on a budget and a new PC is not possible) would be to get some more RAM. Since your graphics card (Intel HD 3000) is integrated with the CPU, it also shares the system RAM. Chances are you've got a single stick of RAM in that notebook, and if you can add a second, you'll not only get more RAM but up it to dual channel, effectively doubling your bandwidth.

Well, you can try one of Swifty's builds (that's the newest one I could find). It's not up-to-date with the latest trunk changes, but you can see if it gives you a better framerate.
I'll try it and update you.
EDIT: Okay, so, I tried it, but, it won't open. Not sure how to install it.  :confused:
« Last Edit: January 14, 2015, 09:19:37 pm by Prince_AKR »

Overclock ^^
Overclocking on a sandy bridge i3 notebook CPU. let me know how that goes.

You're best bet (if your really tight on a budget and a new PC is not possible) would be to get some more RAM. Since your graphics card (Intel HD 3000) is integrated with the CPU, it also shares the system RAM. Chances are you've got a single stick of RAM in that notebook, and if you can add a second, you'll not only get more RAM but up it to dual channel, effectively doubling your bandwidth.
Yes, someone did mention this before. I've always thought about it, but I never really considered it, since it's a notebook. Not sure if it'll be difficult to install or not.