Author Topic: HLP Newsletter - March 2013  (Read 17024 times)

Offline Apollo

• Free Market Fascist
Re: HLP Newsletter - March 2013
I don't like these terms of un-inventive or not innovative. Every campaign is a unique take on things and adds to the larger story of FreeSpace.

I see nothing wrong with describing something that way. Shrouding the Light has better characterizations than FreeSpace, but the gameplay is basically the same--hence, not innovative. It's still a good campaign.
Campaign-wise things may seem quiet right now, but that's because no devs have been talking much. :p This month saw a lot of model news anyway, which is great for mission designers to add to their lofty dreams.

You may be right about that, and I hope you are.
I don't like them either.

We're talking a campaign where you're taking existing assets and FREDding new missions. I can't think of a way to quickly define that where someone would just know what you meant after you said it. Can you?

That's not exactly what I mean. My examples just happen to fit that bill.

I mean campaigns without a whole bunch of new gameplay features.

Sorry for any confusion.

EDIT: This is probably going to get split.
Current Project - Eos: The Coward's Blade. Coming Soon (hopefully.)

Offline Axem

Well you could say simpler missions, I guess. Focused, light on custom assets, retail-styled. It's just that "not innovative" gets banded about as a bad thing about campaigns even if you don't mind them.

Offline Apollo

• Free Market Fascist
I didn't mean it in a negative way.
Current Project - Eos: The Coward's Blade. Coming Soon (hopefully.)

Offline Lorric

Well you could say simpler missions, I guess. Focused, light on custom assets, retail-styled. It's just that "not innovative" gets banded about as a bad thing about campaigns even if you don't mind them.

Retail-style campaigns isn't a bad way to describe it. Before all that fancy new stuff came along, just using FRED.

Don't worry, I know you didn't, and I'm sure Axem knows too. It's just the wording, it has negative tones to it.

Offline Xelion

• In the Ether
Gob-smaking awesome Axem! :D Yet to read previous 2 newsletters, will be all-over those tonite. Great comedic value :lol: and highly informative.

Keeping up with the latest developments has never been more fun  ;)

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ

I don't think it's an unfair term. Freespace wasn't innovative either. There's very little in that game which wasn't in a previous game. From looking at Saint's Row in addition to FS, I'd say that Volition is at its best when it refines an existing genre to perfection rather than when it tries something new.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Meh.. regardless, in today's culture with innovation being thrown around all over the place for tech companies, the term 'not innovative' implies a negative. Whether you agree with why it implies a negative is irrelevant.

Furthermore, if it didn't have some sort of negative implication, we wouldn't be having this conversation.
Cutscene Upgrade Project - Mainhall Remakes - Between the Ashes
Youtube Channel - P3D Model Box
Between the Ashes is looking for committed testers, PM me for details.
Freespace Upgrade Project See what's happening.

Offline Luis Dias

"Non-Innovation" only becomes an hassle when the thing being innovated would benefit tremendously. Well, sometimes it doesn't. Sometimes, less is more, tradition better than modernity. I really don't like "non-innovation" be aligned with something "negative" at all. It's completely neutral on that point and it should be understood and taken that way.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
I don't like these terms of un-inventive or not innovative. Every campaign is a unique take on things and adds to the larger story of FreeSpace.

Campaign-wise things may seem quiet right now, but that's because no devs have been talking much. :p This month saw a lot of model news anyway, which is great for mission designers to add to their lofty dreams.

But if any devs spill any updates or want to forward any esteemed press releases, I'll be happy to include them in the future newsletter.

I don't like them either.

We're talking a campaign where you're taking existing assets and FREDding new missions. I can't think of a way to quickly define that where someone would just know what you meant after you said it. Can you?

The term we use for this is 'campaign built on existing assets'. But it's not what Apollo is talking about.

Offline Axem

Antagonist writeup posted, as well as this month's campaign spotlight!

Offline fightermedic

• quite a nice guy, no really, i am
good job axem, i enjoy reading those updates
>>Fully functional cockpits for Freespace<<
>>Ships created by me<<
Campaigns revised/voice-acted by me:
Lightning Marshal 1-4, The Regulus Campaign, Operation: Savior, Operation: Crucible, Titan Rebellion, Fall of Epsilon Pegasi 1.1Aftermath 2.1,
Pandora's Box 2.2, Deep Blood

Other Campaigns I have participated in:
The Antagonist, Warzone, Phantoms & Echo-Gate

All the stuff I release is free to use or change in any way for everybody who likes to do so; take whatever you need