Author Topic: [RELEASE] FreeSpace Port German Retranslation Package (1.0.2)  (Read 406 times)

Offline Novachen

• The one and only Capella supernova.
[RELEASE] FreeSpace Port German Retranslation Package (1.0.2)
Heyya everybody,

as i already announced in the FSPort Mission Upgrade Pack thread i have finished my second Freespace Mod translation into german. This time it is the FreeSpace Port.
This thread is more an information for everybody who can speak german and maybe would like to experience the game with german text, but do not visit a german speaking community anymore because that is.. yeah, quite dead, unfortunately.

Of course i know, that the Freespace Port offer a german language pack that is based upon the official german retail release of FreeSpace: The Great War. But in my opinion the translation of the game was never really good. So i retranslated this game from scratch and ignored the previous translation completely. With this Package you will have a FreeSpace Port with english voice over and german text. Because i did not pay attention for the retail-compatibility i translated also all the single missions that are available through the tech room, even most of them are not very good by today standards.

What is this Package translating?
- 89 missions, that have german text to, if available, english voice over.
- The complete technical database in german.
- All cutscenes with english voice over and german subtitles.

What is different to the original files?
- This package includes everything from the Mission Upgrade Pack, look for details there.
- Some objects in the missions now have a german name.
- Especially in Act 2 of "The Great War" the text is different from the speech in terms of system names, because i tried to fix some chronology errors this way.
- A custom mv_root-lcl.tbm and mv_root-shp.tbm from the FS2-MVPs to fix some errors, that are caused if you use the string id system.

What is needed for this?
FreeSpace2 ( :rolleyes: )
FSO3.8.0 (even it should also work with much older builds)
MediaVPs 2014
All Files are also part of my FreeSpace 2 Installer (Pre-Alpha).
and
FreeSpace Port 3.5 with FSPort MediaVPs 2014 of course.
This is also part of my FreeSpace Port Installer (Version 1.0.1).

Download
You can download my FreeSpace Port Installer (4.63 GB) that does not only include the FreeSpace Port and this translation in Version 1.0.1, but also a predefined wxLauncher-Profile that houses all needed flags to start the modification right away after the Hardware configuration.

But for manual installation or update purposes, you can still download the translation itself:
FreeSpace Port (German) (1.0.2) (4,41 MB)

Optional - The Movies with subtitles:
FreeSpace Port German Subtitled Movies in 480p (570 MB)
FreeSpace Port German Subtitles Movies in 720p (828 MB)
FreeSpace Port German Subtitled Movies in 1080p (1.03 GB)

The movie packages includes the community remastered Ancients and Ending Sequences in the desired resolution as well the other movies, that are not upgraded in 480p. For the Retail movies i used the German DVD edition of "FreeSpace: The Great War" as source, which had a higher resolution and so better picture quality than any of the CD or even digital releases of this game. So these videos should look better than the movies that are available in the english ogg package.

Also this package includes the extended Ancients4 sequence with the Destruction of Vasuda Prime as an additional and so deactivatable file.

Installation
You have to extract the downloaded archives into the Freespace2-Folder. If you using the wxlauncher, you have to load "FreiRaum: FreeSpace Port" as the active mod. If you use another launcher, that uses folder names, you have to load "FreiRaum_fsport" instead.
If you want to use the standard Ancients 4 sequence, you have to delete the "FreiRaum_fsport_Filme_<Resolution> Xtra.vp" after installation.

Interesting links
German Release Thread
Developmentthread for my German Translations
Page on ModDB

Some impressions

Also you can find additional images on ModDB page or in the mentioned thread for the Mission Upgrade Pack.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2017, 01:05:52 pm by Novachen »
Female FS2 pilot since 1999.

German Translations created by me:
Between the Ashes: Slaves of Chaos, FreeSpace Port, The Destiny of Peace, Silent Threat: Reborn, Awakenings (in development),

Other projects:
FSPort Mission Upgrade, Out of the Shadow: Nova Safiya Edition (Remake of the Out of the Shadow campaign, in development)

If you want to know, what my nickname means, -chen is a german diminutive term, so you can translate Novachen as something like Little Nova or Novalet.
Even my original meaning of this name is more like "Sweet pretty deadly (Super)Nova" ;).

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
  • Administrator
    • Goober5000 Productions
Re: [RELEASE] FreeSpace Port German Retranslation Package (1.0)
:yes:

Offline Yarn

Re: [RELEASE] FreeSpace Port German Retranslation Package (1.0.0.1)
For the Retail movies i used the German DVD edition of "FreeSpace: The Great War" as source, which had a higher resolution and so better picture quality than any of the CD or even digital releases of this game. So these videos should look better than the movies that are available in the english ogg package.
If you're comparing the quality of your source MVE files to that of the Ogg files, then keep in mind that the Ogg files (except for mjn's) are conversions of MVE files and are thus of lower quality. If the sizes of your MVE files total to around 450-500 MB, then they're probably the same as the ones from the CD version.
"Your fighter is running out of oil.  Please check under the hood and add more if necessary"
--strings.tbl, entry 177

"Freespace is very tired.  It is shutting down to get some rest."
--strings.tbl, entry 178

Offline Novachen

• The one and only Capella supernova.
Re: [RELEASE] FreeSpace Port German Retranslation Package (1.0.0.1)
For the Retail movies i used the German DVD edition of "FreeSpace: The Great War" as source, which had a higher resolution and so better picture quality than any of the CD or even digital releases of this game. So these videos should look better than the movies that are available in the english ogg package.
If you're comparing the quality of your source MVE files to that of the Ogg files, then keep in mind that the Ogg files (except for mjn's) are conversions of MVE files and are thus of lower quality. If the sizes of your MVE files total to around 450-500 MB, then they're probably the same as the ones from the CD version.

Actually the DVD versions of FreeSpace: The Great War and FreeSpace2 i have, does not use MVE for the movie files at all. Like other DVD games at the time (Wing Commander IV, Starfleet Academy etc.) they use MPEG2. And they have different exe files, i think because of the MPEG2 decoder.

The resolution of the DVD movies is higher. The CD movies only have a resolution of 640x320. The DVD movies are played in the same resolution in the game itself, because the game is only running at 640x480. But the resolution of the Movies is higher on the DVD (854x428 if you convert them to 1:1 pixel aspect).

So they are indeed look better, even in the game. Also they have a doubled sample rate in the audio. 44 kHz instead of the 22 kHz you found on the CD. Even i am not sure if the game sample this down also.

But this DVD conversion is not really good in my opinion. If you play DVD versions of other games at the time, the quality of the cutscenes of both FreeSpace games is much underwhelming, because you can still see a lot of pixels. The remastered ancient cutscenes in 480p are much much better for example. Away from it, it has the same game files as the CD retail, which is also disapointing given the fact, that there was also the enhanced Darkness Rising release (even it has only 10 missions) before this one. Actually these versions are not worth to buy for a higher price on eBay, even there are rare and hard to find, because there are also a lot of DVD versions that only have simple transfered the CDs on a DVD to have only 1 Disc.

The conversion into OGG does not make the quality any better, i am aware about that. But this subtitled cutscenes still has more quality than the OGG package that is still around. And as i created it, i was not aware, that FSO has already support for MP4. But i never make a new movie package, because i do not think that the Quality gain is worth the effort of a complete reupload. Because we are already talking about a small resolution by today standards.
So i am more hoping that there will be a remaster of all the remaining cutscenes someday :).

---------

Apart from that, in the mean time i have updated this translation. Next to a bugfix for a bug that was reported in my Mission Upgrade Pack, i also fixed some spelling errors in a reorganization of the tstrings.tbl.
Additionally there is now also a translation of The Destiny of Peace available, which works as an AddOn-translation, because it uses a .tbm-file to extend the tstrings.tbl.
This version of the campaign fix some continuity errors and also reactivates the bonus objective in "Shadow Dancer" that was deactivated for unknown reasons in one of the last versions of this campaign.

Also i have uploaded an All-in-One Installer for the FreeSpace Port that includes the FreeSpace Port with the FSPort MVPs, the Translation, the Subtitled Movies as well a predefined wxLauncher Profile that houses all flags that allows you to play the translation right after the installation and the hardware configuration without any additional configuration in the "Advanced Settings" tab. This installer has 4.62 GB in size and is primarily for users, that do not want to install and configurate all requirements manually or do not use the FSOInstaller for whatever reason.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2017, 07:46:18 am by Novachen »
Female FS2 pilot since 1999.

German Translations created by me:
Between the Ashes: Slaves of Chaos, FreeSpace Port, The Destiny of Peace, Silent Threat: Reborn, Awakenings (in development),

Other projects:
FSPort Mission Upgrade, Out of the Shadow: Nova Safiya Edition (Remake of the Out of the Shadow campaign, in development)

If you want to know, what my nickname means, -chen is a german diminutive term, so you can translate Novachen as something like Little Nova or Novalet.
Even my original meaning of this name is more like "Sweet pretty deadly (Super)Nova" ;).