Author Topic: 2010-10-29 - Diaspora Trailer 3  (Read 39708 times)

Offline Angelus

• The Angriest Angel
Re: 10-10-29 - Diaspora Trailer 3
wasn't it said that "arcing" would require doing a lot of math, and was rejected on that?

i'm not talking about the standard missile behaviour.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
wasn't it said that "arcing" would require doing a lot of math, and was rejected on that?

What you're describing doesn't sound any different from VLS behavior on, for example, the Narayanas in WiH. Unless you mean sustaining the arc around the target instead of going straight for it after the free flight time?

Offline Angelus

• The Angriest Angel

What you're describing doesn't sound any different from VLS behavior on, for example, the Narayanas in WiH. Unless you mean sustaining the arc around the target instead of going straight for it after the free flight time?

What i requested was, that the missile with an "arc-value" flag, is fired like a standard missile, but approaches the target in an arc.
That was the original request from a few months back, and i recently requested it again, with a minor change.
Say, your target is behind a large object, you can get lock, but when you fire the missile, it will go through the object in front.
With the "arc" flag, the missile would fly around the object.
The request was rejected sadly, but i understand that this is really math intensive.

To bad, no smart missiles...

Offline MR_T3D

• Personal Text
What about having the missiles turn VERY gradually (turn radius of maybe 400m+, could need some T&E to figure out the right stats) as they go toward the battlestar.  that would give the desired arc effect, not need too much coding work (I think, can different missiles have different manoeuvrability) at the expense of possibly having trouble with manoeuvring targets smaller than a battlestar..

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
What about having the missiles turn VERY gradually (turn radius of maybe 400m+, could need some T&E to figure out the right stats) as they go toward the battlestar.  that would give the desired arc effect, not need too much coding work (I think, can different missiles have different manoeuvrability) at the expense of possibly having trouble with manoeuvring targets smaller than a battlestar..

It will also have the hilarious effect of preventing the base stars from even hitting the battlestars at close range, and, in certain range brackets, causing them to shoot themselves!

Not what you want, sorry.

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
blahblahblah I can't read half the post

So yeah, you have any intention of addressing my other concerns besides the shortness of the trails? I mean, I even suggested they should at least be brighter and more opaque so they look like the smoke trails in the show. Surely that's not that hard.

Look flak can't have trails for engine reasons without more major code changes (well it could but would look darn stupid).

I didn't ask for that. I didn't ask for flak to have trails at all, so what the hell are you talking about?

I want the capitals to fire larger, brighter shots as flak and for the CIWS, so they're more visible, and you get the proper curtains of pretty yellow death effect.
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
I suggested they should at least be brighter and more opaque so they look like the smoke trails in the show. Could that be done?

Look flak can't have trails for engine reasons without more major code changes (well it could but would look darn stupid).

I want the capitals to fire larger, brighter shots as flak and for the CIWS, so they're more visible, and you get the proper curtains of pretty yellow death effect.

This is getting overly pissy (lolpocrisy!). Keep it down. I have included a version of your post I think would be more constructive in this one!

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
I bow to the wisdom of the Batts, man.
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
**** it, dude. Let's go bowling!

Offline Shade

Everyone be nice now - I'd hate to have to moderate. Here's an old blooper video to make you all feel better: A whole afternoon wasted. Incidentally, that's our official YouTube channel, which ideally all our videos should end up on in the future.
Report FS_Open bugs with Mantis  |  Find the latest FS_Open builds Here  |  Interested in FRED? Check out the Wiki's FRED Portal | Diaspora: Website / Forums
"Oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooh ****ing great. 2200 references to entry->index and no idea which is the one that ****ed up" - Karajorma
"We are all agreed that your theory is crazy. The question that divides us is whether it is crazy enough to have a chance of being correct." - Niels Bohr
<Cobra|> You play this mission too intelligently.

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
:3

More comedy please.
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

Offline torc

• Diaspora SFX engineer
simply awesome.... please go on guys!this project reminds me the old BTRL times... (in a positive way)   :yes: greetings from italy
indossare una divisa può avere un prezzo alto...ma a volte...è troppo alto!!! Bill Adama

Offline Rodo

• Custom tittle
  • stargazer
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
LOLz
el hombre vicio...

Offline Nighteyes

ahh I see I have some unhappy customers :P
lets address the issues:
The explosions don't really look lively, though this is often a matter of taste. Still, I prefer the explosions that are currently in mediavps, and both sets were done by Nighteyes.
the mediavps explosions would look extremely out of place here, its BSG and needs to look like the show, the look we decided to go for is like the miniseiries, and like Resurrection ship episode(gotta love the effects there :)).
fighter explosions in the show arn't so lively, its usually a fast burst of flames, and IMO the ones we have now look 90% like in the show...

I don't like the explosion effect with debris in it. It looks silly to have debris effect every time the explosion triggers no matter what it impacts or whether it impacts anything at all. Though with scripting you could have more than one explosion effect per weapon, useful for missiles really. I would also suggest to take a note from mediavps and add a bit of flavor to nukes and ships going boom.
with the amount of cylon missiles exploding, its pretty hard to make an effect that won't look overused... can you remind me please how I can use 2 effects for one weapon exploding?
here I agree, the trailer didn't show capship flash when they died, I'm currently implementing it for the rest of the fleet, and don't forget I was the one who asked for the weapons flash effect to be implemented :P my main thought back then was for the nukes in Diaspora...

Offline Angelus

• The Angriest Angel
ahh I see I have some unhappy customers :P
lets address the issues:
The explosions don't really look lively, though this is often a matter of taste. Still, I prefer the explosions that are currently in mediavps, and both sets were done by Nighteyes.
the mediavps explosions would look extremely out of place here, its BSG and needs to look like the show, the look we decided to go for is like the miniseiries, and like Resurrection ship episode(gotta love the effects there :)).
fighter explosions in the show arn't so lively, its usually a fast burst of flames, and IMO the ones we have now look 90% like in the show...

I don't like the explosion effect with debris in it. It looks silly to have debris effect every time the explosion triggers no matter what it impacts or whether it impacts anything at all. Though with scripting you could have more than one explosion effect per weapon, useful for missiles really. I would also suggest to take a note from mediavps and add a bit of flavor to nukes and ships going boom.
with the amount of cylon missiles exploding, its pretty hard to make an effect that won't look overused... can you remind me please how I can use 2 effects for one weapon exploding?
here I agree, the trailer didn't show capship flash when they died, I'm currently implementing it for the rest of the fleet, and don't forget I was the one who asked for the weapons flash effect to be implemented :P my main thought back then was for the nukes in Diaspora...

We could remind the coders of this request i did a long while ago:

Addition to $Impact Explosion:  to allow the usage for multiple explosion animations ( defined in
Weapon_expl.tbl ), which would add a bit of difference to flak weapon explosions.
If possible, with an additional flag in the weapons table that defines alternate explosions to one weapon.
and adjust, as needed.  :P

Offline Fury

• The Curmudgeon
You can already do as many impact effects as you want with scripting. For example, mediavps use "capflash" effect for beam impact in addition to an explosion set in tables. It's in the flashy weapons cfg and that part of the script should be relatively easy to adapt for other uses.