Author Topic: this is amazing  (Read 3074 times)

I MADE A WEAPON GUYS

I DID THE THING

i think i understand how tbms work now

mostly

Offline Darius

Modding fs2 is ez

Good work now replace the prom r.

Offline NeonShivan

• Previously known as BTA
  • By the Omnisiah's grace.
How about sharks with friggin laser beams on their heads.
In German even the most beautiful love letter sounds like an execution order -Mito

(•_•)
 <)  )/
 /  \ All the Single Ladies

( •_•)
\(  (>
  /  \ All the Single Ladies

(•_•)
 <)  )/
 /  \  Oh Oh Oh

Author of Dusk Wars - A modification for Freespace 2.

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
I regret nothing.

I regret nothing.

i was thinking more along these

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=06MS_h8Qmdo&t=6m57s

lines, but yeah

I'm having an issue, actually. I've gotten both particle spew and muzzle flash to work, but FSO has a fit if I try to use trail, or cycle. I'm using what I think is the right format -- "$Trail:" and then the parameters below it, with + signs -- but it gives me errors no matter what, even though I'm using the exact same format I'm using for the other flags, and those work. I mean, it says "needs either [#end] or [$name:], and that's precisely the format I'm using, so... Are they somehow different? Is there a specific place I need to put them, rather than just after the basic flags and before #end?

There seems to be a thing where the flags defined on the weapons.tbl page have different names? Like it's listed as "particle spew", but the actual flag is "pspew". It's listed twice -- once under Core Table and once under Flags. But Trail and Cycle are only listed once...

Aha! I've got Trail working. I think it needed a specific spot. Now to figure out Cycle and Player-Allowed...
« Last Edit: September 20, 2017, 09:07:30 pm by Kestrellius »

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• The Cthulhu programmer himself!
    • Twitter
I'm having an issue, actually. I've gotten both particle spew and muzzle flash to work, but FSO has a fit if I try to use trail, or cycle. I'm using what I think is the right format -- "$Trail:" and then the parameters below it, with + signs -- but it gives me errors no matter what, even though I'm using the exact same format I'm using for the other flags, and those work. I mean, it says "needs either [#end] or [$name:], and that's precisely the format I'm using, so... Are they somehow different? Is there a specific place I need to put them, rather than just after the basic flags and before #end?
All parameters must be in the exact order listed in the wiki; when the parser says it needs "either [#end] or [$name:]" it's not saying it needs text between a "$" and a ":", it's saying it needs the exact string "$name:", meaning the start of a new weapon entry (the reason you get this specific error rather than "you put a line in the wrong place" has to do with the way table files are parsed and the fact that every single parameter for a weapon entry is optional, to facilitate modular tables; basically, it keeps comparing the line it's on to possible parameters for a weapon and not finding a match, so it decides the weapon entry must be over).

There seems to be a thing where the flags defined on the weapons.tbl page have different names? Like it's listed as "particle spew", but the actual flag is "pspew".
The flag is "particle spew"; "$Pspew:" is the parameter used to define what the spew is.
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Codethulhu GitHub wgah'nagl fhtagn.

schrödinbug (noun) - a bug that manifests itself in running software after a programmer notices that the code should never have worked in the first place.

When you gaze long into BMPMAN, BMPMAN also gazes into you.

"I am one of the best FREDders on Earth" -General Battuta

<Aesaar> literary criticism is vladimir putin

<MageKing17> "There's probably a reason the code is the way it is" is a very dangerous line of thought. :P
<MageKing17> Because the "reason" often turns out to be "nobody noticed it was wrong".
(the very next day)
<MageKing17> this ****ing code did it to me again
<MageKing17> "That doesn't really make sense to me, but I'll assume it was being done for a reason."
<MageKing17> **** ME
<MageKing17> THE REASON IS PEOPLE ARE STUPID
<MageKing17> ESPECIALLY ME

<MageKing17> God damn, I do not understand how this is breaking.
<MageKing17> Everything points to "this should work fine", and yet it's clearly not working.
<MjnMixael> 2 hours later... "God damn, how did this ever work at all?!"
(...)
<MageKing17> so
<MageKing17> more than two hours
<MageKing17> but once again we have reached the inevitable conclusion
<MageKing17> How did this code ever work in the first place!?

<@The_E> Welcome to OpenGL, where standards compliance is optional, and error reporting inconsistent

<MageKing17> It was all working perfectly until I actually tried it on an actual mission.

<IronWorks> I am useful for FSO stuff again. This is a red-letter day!
* z64555 erases "Thursday" and rewrites it in red ink

<MageKing17> TIL the entire homing code is held up by shoestrings and duct tape, basically.

I still don't think I understand the difference. Is the flag name supposed to appear in the code of the table? Because I just have "pspew" and not "particle spew" listed, and it still works...And muzzleflash has a parameter entry, but no apparent flag name...

On the other hand, cycle has a flag name but no parameter entry. Which makes sense, since cycle is just a binary thing so you don't need anything more specific than whether the flag is present, but it means I'm not sure what the proper syntax is, because the listed flag names don't seem to be verbatim what you put in the file. I'm putting cycle after pspew, which is the order it's listed on the wiki, but it still doesn't work. Aargh.

Basically there are two different lists, and I don't understand how they relate to one another. What's the difference between the core table and the flags, and why are some things listed in both but with different names?

EDIT: ohhhhh

okay I think I get something

You put the flags next to the $Flags: entry, in the same line? Is that how this works? And then the reason there's is because if you have a flag listed that requires parameters, you put the corresponding parameter entry in its own line? But then why does pspew work without particle spray being defined in the flags?
« Last Edit: September 21, 2017, 02:29:00 am by Kestrellius »

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
I still don't think I understand the difference. Is the flag name supposed to appear in the code of the table? Because I just have "pspew" and not "particle spew" listed, and it still works...And muzzleflash has a parameter entry, but no apparent flag name...

The correct syntax for the flags field is
Code: [Select]
$Flags:                                ( "player allowed" "stream" "ciws" "particle spew" )

You put the flags next to the $Flags: entry, in the same line? Is that how this works? And then the reason there's is because if you have a flag listed that requires parameters, you put the corresponding parameter entry in its own line? But then why does pspew work without particle spray being defined in the flags?

The engine applies the "particle spew" flag automatically if a $Pspew entry is found. This behaviour is necessary for retail compatibility (the ability to define a particle spewer was something added by FSO; FS2 retail only added a default spewer which can be seen on the Lamprey, Standard Flak, Heavy Flak and Long Range Flak weapons).
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Ah, I see. Thanks.

I'm not asking too many questions, am I? I try to use the wiki when I can, but it's not always terribly clear.

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
There is no such thing as asking too many questions when it comes to using the engine or its documentation.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

There is no such thing as asking too many questions when it comes to using the engine or its documentation.

Good, good.

also I made my negative-mass tractor gun and it's awesome

Other thing: I seem to be missing something about impact effects. I can define a .dds or .ani file, or even an .eff file, in the impact effect line, but it doesn't appear to do anything...Is there some table somewhere I should be referring to for numbered effects, like with sounds?

grabbing Shivans and hurling them over your shoulder

it's SO MUCH FUN

aaaaaagh

why is this happening

okay so

I'm trying to do that thing I was talking about in that one thread -- using an invisible beam and armor types to create a piercing flame effect at all times on a ship. I have an armor type called "SunArmor" that applies piercing effects for the normalweapon damage type at 100. This armor type is applied to my test ship using a SEXP. The invisible, damageless, no-whack beam is fired using another SEXP, with an interval time of 0 and a maxed-out repeat count. The beam is obviously firing because there are shield and impact effects going off, but the actual piercing impact just refuses to show up. I have the piercing effect section all laid out in the beam table. Agh.

And the weird thing is, it was working before at one point, and I have no idea what changed...