Author Topic: Contraband  (Read 62945 times)

Offline DahBlount

• Alpine ☆ Cancer Tribulation
    • Minecraft
Indeed, it is an Artillery Destroyer. The final armament isn't set at the moment but it will include at least 3 spinal mass drivers as well as several turret mounted MACs and torpedo batteries.

The design is actually based off of the Hercules and, oddly enough, the Zephyrus. Strange how design elements from specific ship types can work in larger or smaller vessels.
<Axem> yet still more insightful than #hard-light

<Axem> jad2.23 will just be cat videos

<DahBlount> So
<DahBlount> JAD2.2 is like that
<Axem> maybe
<Axem> it can be whatever you like!
<DahBlount> A Chocolate Sundae?
<Axem> sure

My models: GTF Gilgamesh - GTD Nuadha [Redesigning] - Ningirama [WIP] - GTG Zephyrus

Offline Nyctaeus

• The Slavic Engineer
  • My "FS Ships" folder is 582gb.
    • Minecraft
    • Exile
I see... Bathroom tile on first screenshot! It's a Scooby's ship, right? I'm really interested how are you going to incorporate his vessels into your mod. Good job :yes:
Exile | Shadow Genesis | Inferno | Series Resurrecta  | DA Profile | P3D Profile

Proud owner of NyctiShipyards. Remember - Nyx will fix it!

All of my assets including models, textures, skyboxes, effects may be used under standard CC BY-NC 4.0 license.

Offline Rheyah

• Will release something one day. Promise.
While time seems to slip by and my nails threaten to become roots, I study them.  The metronomic delivery of the mercurial sustinence indicates both their interest and disregard for our society.  I remain uncertain as to whether they understand exactly who or what they have in their custody, though clearly they understand our biology.  One of them, a five legged biomechanical monstrosity, saw fit to enter the chamber where I rested and merely stared.  At another time, this may have given me cause to fear.  Now, I simply regard the unearthly creature with the same regard as it sees fit to greet me.  It remained standing in a room without gravity, serving neither as jailor nor scientist before turning to depart.

Since that brief, cryptic encounter, the apertures which pass for doors in their vessel have begun to open for my passing.  The walls have subtly changed, a certain periodic translucence revealing glimpses of a cosmic netherstorm through which the Shivan warship travels.  They have not seen fit to implement gravity nor substantially change the soup like composition of their vessel's atmosphere.  There is no suggestion of work involved in this construction.  Sections simply appear after a length of time, translucent to light and yet as solid as the objects surrounding them.  very often, the same section will appear and disappear between passings.  If the Shivans have labourers, they are remarkably efficient.

I have yet to find a location to which they seem unwilling to allow my access.  Occasionally I find them anchored to walls, their bodies ignited with a hellish glow as if burning from within.  Yet strangely, there is not a hint of warmth.  I have even ventured to touch one, only to find their bodies as cold as the walls surrounding them.  Something, I note, which has changed recently - the walls themselves now radiate warmth.

Perhaps I would have preferred hostility.  I have been a hostage before and may yet survive to become one again.  They regard me not as experiment or subject or hostage but as a curiosity.  They appear to be adjusting the environment to suit my needs, even sending emissaries to study me in order to ensure their accuracy.  I have explored most of their vessel and found little to nothing even resembling a control pit or CIC.  I have found no computers and no systems of any kind.  Nor did I find anything approaching a biological interface or brain structure.  The vessel is clearly not alive.

Their motivations, as ever, remain an enigma.

Offline deathspeed

• i can't think of a good avatar
    • Steam
I literally got a chill in my spine reading that.  That has never happened to me while reading science fiction.
Maybe someday God will give you a little pink toaster of your own.

I literally got a chill in my spine reading that.  That has never happened to me while reading science fiction.
"Wouldn't it be so wonderful if everything were meaningless?
But everything is so meaningful, and most everything turns to ****.
Rejoice."
-David Bazan

Offline Rheyah

As always, I like to provide a periodic update on exactly what I'm doing, why I'm doing it and how I intend to carry on.

I am making extremely slow progress at the moment - my mind is pretty drained by the time I get home from work and I kind of have to shut down for a while.  However, I did throw together some basic events for mission 9, write a bit more fiction, do some balance testing and continue to write missions 10, 11 and 12.  Missions 1-8 are playable.  Missions 3, 4, 5 and 6 are essentially complete.

I will be asking for some help with Shetland once I have released Ephesus, but this campaign is one I want to finish myself.  I am determined to finish this damn thing and allow people to enjoy what's been going through my head for the last year and a half.  The writing I've given here is only a pale reflection of what's actually going on in this little world I've built and I hope people will enjoy it when it is done.

Further update later tonight - I want to post a little bit of design process stuff to motivate myself :)

Offline Rheyah

Six months went by in a whirlwind.  That was how it felt to me, at least.  I can't speak for the others.

We had lost eight hundred when one of the starboard magazines went up as we fled for the node.  A third of the crew was injured or incapacitated.  With most of the standing forces either destroyed or defecting, all we had was a handful of cruisers, a few fighter wings, the Ephesus herself and the GTCv Manchester.  All of them were carrying wounds.

I don't know much about what the politicians did during that time.  I mean, they must have known, surely!  You don't just annex three systems and forty percent of the Terran standing fleet without some kind of warning.  There must have been something they saw that could have tipped them off as to the bottle of antimatter brewing in the outer colonies, but then we didn't see it either.  We were right next door and we only found out through our brass.

After we fled, the Vasudans held the node for forty two hours.  The Psamtik was a front line Vasudan capital ship and the now NTD Victory was licking her wounds.  They couldn't really challenge her, but everything beyond the Psamtik was quiet.  We were having a workup at Midgard station and taking on supplies.  The Exec had been in emergency session for close to a day by this point.  The Big E's wrecked squadrons were being resupplied with fresh rooks and gear but it wasn't coming fast enough.

We were a morgue.   None of us had duties - most of our birds were wrecked.  What could we do other than sit in the mess waiting for news?  We were helpless.  We'd lost friends, family, even homes.  My whole squadron was dead.  Where would I be reassigned?  For the first time in my career, maybe even my life, I felt genuinely helpless.  Looking around the mess, I knew I wasn't alone.

The casualty reports didn't help our fugue.  Counting Ephesus alone, we'd lost two thousand, two hundred and forty seven.  Aboard the Manchester, close to four hundred.  Fleet wide, barring defections, over thirty seven thousand had been lost.

When the Exec finally made their choice, I don't remember being happy.  I know some Zeta wavers will paint it as a moment where our mighty military apparatus ground into motion and we reorientated ourselves to face the enemy in our midst.  I can't remember it like that.  I can only remember my family who were now behind enemy lines,  the friends who I now had to kill and the pit in my stomach.

They teach you to switch off that part of you, but I don't think it ever fully goes away.  I am not enough of a refined sociopath.  It was Renard who finally taught me how to deal with it.  How to pull the trigger, not knowing if I was murdering an ex-boyfriend or an old university drinking mate.  Not everyone could harden their hearts like I could.  It cost us.  Six months is a long time to nurse a grudge.

I owe a lot of what I am to Renard Stallon.  I am not always sure I should thank him for it.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2014, 04:18:42 am by Rheyah »

Offline Rheyah

So Why Is This Demo Taking So Long, Rheyah?

Well, the reality is that I have been caught by a love for the source material and feature creep.  When I started Ephesus, my original design document called for a three mission demo, beginning with a demonstration of some FRED ideas and a new weapon set, ending with a climactic mission.  However, I realized very quickly that I got into this gig out of a love for storytelling and while I can make a valiant effort, 3 missions was never enough for the story I realized I wanted to tell.

The more I got into the campaign, the better the story I wanted to tell became.  It was no longer a demo of FREDing ability.  It became a fully formed campaign with its own ideas, its own weapon structures, characters, mission archetypes and even a complete redesign of capital ship mechanics - something which will carry through to Shetland.  There was a story to be told and I wanted to tell it.

I have been working on these two campaigns for over a year now.  I aim to continue my slow and steady work on them while continuing to expand on the universe itself in this thread with the aim of eventually expanding into my own little forum once everything is released - I have a ton of background stuff I have yet to post here which will come up once I release Ephesus and it no longer is a spoiler.

I hope everyone continues to enjoy the little parts of the world I show.

I for one admire your tenacity, and I am definitely enjoying these expositions.
"Wouldn't it be so wonderful if everything were meaningless?
But everything is so meaningful, and most everything turns to ****.
Rejoice."
-David Bazan

Offline Luis Dias

Feature Creeps do not concern me, Admiral. I want that mod, not excuses.

Offline Husker

Ok, I must admit I am a bit demanding when it comes to stories in games. Either be pretty good at a story or get rid of any story. You sir, Rheyah, are a better storywriter than half the games I know. Keep it up. I love it.

Offline Lorric

Good things come to those who wait. And I will be waiting. :)

Offline Rheyah

"You aren't being serious."
"Forty seven.  I seek not to spread fallacy."
"Honestly?"
"Indeed."
"I never knew."
"I chose to prevent your information."

Sip.  It goes straight to the head.

"That's not how you use that word, Khalresh."
"I was unaware I committed a transgression."
"...is that a smile?"
"I am incapable of such."
"I know that expression."
"It remains a deceit on behalf of your conscious mind.  You seek, yet again, to humanise me, Lilian Shawcross."
"And you are being obtuse.  Again"
"I share nothing in common with such an angle."
"That's not what I meant."
"My joints are acute at this moment in time."

A moment passes.

"How many years has it been now?"
"Which moment do you choose as reference?"
"I thought you believed in time as a..."

There is a wave of a hand.

"...fluid thing."
"Even a fluid may be marshalled."
"You're being difficult.  I am trying to be nostalgic."
"I do not believe in this Terran quality of nostalgia."
"I thought that was more of a Vasudan quality."
"Ours is not nostalgia.  It is obsession.  Twelve years."

Another pause, longer this time.

"I've read your file.  I don't regret anything, but why?  Why spend your life here?  There are commands you could have in the core fleets.  Why here?"
"I prefer the company of Terrans."
"Bull****.  Even I don't prefer the company of Terrans.  Case in point."
"A poor preference."
"You still haven't given me a real answer."

An adjustment of seating, of uniform, of robing.

"Terrans have a saying - those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it.  As do we.  Better to be the parents of tomorrow than the children of yesterday."
"...oh come on, everyone has quotes like that."
"I have never been a child of yesterday, Lilian.  In this wilderness of vacuum, we give birth to the future.  Were I simply waiting for the destroyers, I would surrender to fear of the past."
"We still hunt them out here, you know.  That IS why we are out here."
"Yes, but we hunt them.  Out here, they are the prey.  Never again shall we be theirs."

Offline Rheyah

"So.  Lay it on the table for me."
"Thought I already had."
"Apparently not.  So?"
"Its all on that bloody report you expect from me.  Takes wrench time out of my day."
"You have plenty of it."
"Don't I ****ing know it.  You any idea how much bloody effort it takes to keep this archaic crap online?  I stripped out fifteen metres of crapped up duct sheathing just yesterday."

She folds her arms.  Unlike the others, she has a stare.  The engineer knows it.  He turns away from his console and tries to meet it.

"...what?"

Silence.

"...oh for ****s sake.  Don't give me that Tev Soldier crap.  Look, my boys and girls do good work but we aren't working miracles down here.  We do what we can with what we got and what we don't got is replacement parts."
"What do you need?"
"List is bloody endless.  I got half the systems on Orkney crapping out on us and you're expecting me to keep a prototype cruiser in one piece on top of all that."
"The Old Man wants his beam weaponry back."
"You still got the port and starboard flankers, right?"
"At half yield, yes."
"Unless you can get me a replacement WTR-74, that's all she got-"
"It's in the hangar."
"-and thos- wait what?"
"Bay 6."
"...so what the hell was this all about?  When the hell did we get hold of one of those?"
"I read your reports."
"...so what the **** are you doing down here?  You could have just said."

She smiles.

"You work best when you are annoyed.  Make the Shetland's main beam your priority."
"...I ****ing hate you."
"I'll see you in the mess."

Offline Rheyah

Re: Ephesus - TESTERS WANTED
Update 16/10/14

I am now at the point where I need actual feedback on mission design.  I am starting to doubt my own FREDing approach and need to refine it.

I'm looking for a limited number of well worn testers who will be willing to help me push through this and finish off the balancing of my missions.  At present I have around 9 missions with mission designs in place, however I am restricted in that I am unable to look with a fresh perspective at my own mission design.

This focus is solely on mission design.  I'm not looking for any story writing help or advice on the plot.  Just the designs in FRED :)

Offline Nyctaeus

• The Slavic Engineer
  • My "FS Ships" folder is 582gb.
    • Minecraft
    • Exile
You can count on me, if You need testers. I finished almost every released campaign and I know what's good and... What's not :P.
Exile | Shadow Genesis | Inferno | Series Resurrecta  | DA Profile | P3D Profile

Proud owner of NyctiShipyards. Remember - Nyx will fix it!

All of my assets including models, textures, skyboxes, effects may be used under standard CC BY-NC 4.0 license.

Offline procdrone

• Formerly TheHound
  • Balance breaker! Thats me!
    • Steam
Count me in too. Im maybe not the best out here, but well... im willing! And well, i might have that "fresh new aproach" :)
--Did it! It's RELEASED! VeniceMirror Thread--

Offline Rheyah

I'll be in touch with you both during the course of today :)

Offline PeterX

• Peter
In the last time i was in China and had been blocked access to this server. Can i test this campaign too?
Peter
If i can´t model any ship then i use "flying trains" :-)

Offline Rheyah

Hello!  It's been a little while since I updated this, so I thought I would let you know how things are going.  I have been hit with a few waves at work which have kept me from having the energy to FRED much.  Ultimately it is an intensive process as most other FRED people know, so I hope I can be forgiven for being lax on that front.

With that said, here's what I've been up to:

Standardizing mission design for ease of FREDing.  I had a few epiphanies based on my work which has lead me to produce a standard event template which lets me see at a glance what events perform which function.

Storyboarding Shetland.  I stopped writing the story for Ephesus several months ago.  All I am doing now is just working on the FREDing. 

Playing with weapon balance and bombers.

I've also been writing tech entries and have started writing the journal entries which provide a lot of the backstory to this slightly changed GTVA :)