Author Topic: 3.7.2 RC5 and Final Main Hall hotkeys tripped by keyboard's volume buttons  (Read 7719 times)

Re: 3.7.2 RC5 and Final Main Hall hotkeys tripped by keyboard's volume buttons
You guys are asking me to do something that, for me, would be much harder and much more time-consuming than for you to just map some of your keys to be Volume Up and Volume Down and then test them in the Main Hall. Really, you all could have done that by now and then you'd probably have reproduced this problem just like Solatar did for me. As he found, you don't even have to use SharpKeys if you are really that suspicious of it. I mean again, Solatar has the same problem with his laptop's built-in media keys for Volume Up and Volume Down. So obviously, THIS ISN'T CAUSED BY SHARPKEYS. Besides, SharpKeys simply does the same thing that some people do manually, but it does it all for you in a simple GUI.

All you need are keys on your keyboard that are set to be Volume Up or Volume Down. How you achieve it doesn't matter. So why was I asking you to use SharpKeys? Because of it's simplicity and because it doesn't have to be installed (that's why I used it).

So far, you guys seem very unwilling to truly help me. You want me to do everything while you just type up posts. Solatar actually went and did something to see if I'm not alone, and I appreciate it because he's experiencing the exact same thing - just in case anyone missed it (it's in my original post... here's the link to his post: http://www.hard-light.net/forums/index.php?topic=90490.msg1795896#msg1795896).

I thought that with a bug report like this, the standard procedure is, ask how to reproduce it and then go and reproduce it upon learning how. All you have to do here is just find some way to make 2 of your keys on your keyboard be Volume Up and Volume Down and then use them in the Main Hall. That should be all you need to do.

You guys need to understand that I'm not a programmer or a developer or anything like that. I just play the game. That's it. All I'm doing here is reporting a bug. Thanks to Solatar, I know that this isn't caused by SharpKeys and that all you really need are keys on your keyboard that change the volume. Beyond that, I'm clueless. I'm just a user here. I don't know what you guys know. You guys are asking too much of me here!
« Last Edit: September 22, 2015, 05:05:12 pm by TwoCables »
Why do you say "as" instead of "because"?

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• The Cthulhu programmer himself!
    • Twitter
Nobody said it was caused by SharpKeys. We just want confirmation that it's actually caused by FSO before we spend more time looking into it. Having somebody else experience the same problem does nothing to guarantee that FSO is actually the problem, and basically telling us that we're lazy when you're unwilling to provide basic confirmation of your own bug report does not incline us to spend our free time helping you further. If you are under the impression that nobody looked into this problem, that is simply not true: I looked at the code from RC5 and RC3 and as far as I can tell, snazzyui should behave identically in this regard. Having determined that, according to the code, there shouldn't be a behavior difference, the natural next step is that you confirm that there actually is a behavior difference. This should not take a great deal of time for you; downloading and running a a specific build of FSO shouldn't take more than a minute. Once armed with the confirmation that FSO actually is the problem, then I might consider spending time playing with my registry to try to reproduce the problem (and then, assuming it gets reproduced, figure out why it's happening). Otherwise, I do have other things I could be spending my time on than "maybe possibly reproduce a potential bug that may or may not actually be caused by FSO and affects very few people even if it is", even just counting FSO-related things, and having to deal with somebody who does not seem willing to perform basic troubleshooting steps is automatically going to rank it lower on my priorities.
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Codethulhu GitHub wgah'nagl fhtagn.

schrödinbug (noun) - a bug that manifests itself in running software after a programmer notices that the code should never have worked in the first place.

When you gaze long into BMPMAN, BMPMAN also gazes into you.

"I am one of the best FREDders on Earth" -General Battuta

<Aesaar> literary criticism is vladimir putin

<MageKing17> "There's probably a reason the code is the way it is" is a very dangerous line of thought. :P
<MageKing17> Because the "reason" often turns out to be "nobody noticed it was wrong".
(the very next day)
<MageKing17> this ****ing code did it to me again
<MageKing17> "That doesn't really make sense to me, but I'll assume it was being done for a reason."
<MageKing17> **** ME
<MageKing17> THE REASON IS PEOPLE ARE STUPID
<MageKing17> ESPECIALLY ME

<MageKing17> God damn, I do not understand how this is breaking.
<MageKing17> Everything points to "this should work fine", and yet it's clearly not working.
<MjnMixael> 2 hours later... "God damn, how did this ever work at all?!"
(...)
<MageKing17> so
<MageKing17> more than two hours
<MageKing17> but once again we have reached the inevitable conclusion
<MageKing17> How did this code ever work in the first place!?

<@The_E> Welcome to OpenGL, where standards compliance is optional, and error reporting inconsistent

<MageKing17> It was all working perfectly until I actually tried it on an actual mission.

<IronWorks> I am useful for FSO stuff again. This is a red-letter day!
* z64555 erases "Thursday" and rewrites it in red ink

<MageKing17> TIL the entire homing code is held up by shoestrings and duct tape, basically.

Well again, I'm just a user. I just play the game. I'm not like you guys where this stuff is easy and takes just seconds. All I know is, you just need one key on your keyboard for Volume Up and one for Volume Down. You don't even have to mess with your Registry because there are programs out there that will create media keys for you without making any changes to your system at all (but they do need to stay open in order to maintain the key settings). With as good as you guys seem to be on your computers, I'd bet that this wouldn't take long at all to accomplish and would probably be a walk in the park. Asking me to do all this stuff though is overwhelming me. I'm sorry, but I'm just not at the same level as you guys are! I'm nowhere near it. I don't even know where to begin here. I'm like a damn deer in headlights reading all of your posts here - except maybe for Solatar's. heh

Call me stupid, but I don't see why you can't just find a program that does this, one that you trust. I trust SharpKeys because it was recommended by experts. You can use whatever you want though. All you need are media keys on your keyboard for volume control. Now, since I don't know any better, you might also need Windows 7. I don't know. That's what I have, so that's all I can go by.

Maybe you're not aware, but this thread was moved for me by a moderator because I originally posted it in the general support forum on here. I didn't know that it should go here instead. Does the fact that this thread is in this specific forum give you guys the impression that I'm a computer expert or something? Or that I'm a programmer? I mean, you almost need to be gentle and treat me like I'm damn-near computer-illiterate compared to you. Like I said, I'm not at the same high level as you guys are. I'm just a user.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2015, 05:23:00 pm by TwoCables »

Offline Axem

I can reproduce the issue and it goes back to far far far before RC3, I'm getting it in a build from 2008! Not sure if it was there since retail, I'll have to try it a bit later.

I can reproduce the issue and it goes back to far far far before RC3, I'm getting it in a build from 2008! Not sure if it was there since retail, I'll have to try it a bit later.

Thank you!

I'm honestly surprised to see this happening in a build that old. When this happened to me in 3.7.2 RC5, it really threw me off. It definitely wasn't the first time that I had adjusted my volume at the main hall like that. Like I said, that's where I usually adjust it. So I don't know what's going on. I haven't changed anything. My Windows Update history doesn't show anything new since July of 2012, so I don't know. I haven't changed anything else either, except for the FSO .exe that I'm launching using FS2 Open Launcher 5.5g.

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• Twitter
If the behavior was not introduced with 3.7.2 RC5, that means that an FSO code change is not responsible, and (since my keyboard's volume spinner doesn't trigger the same behavior, when I'd imagine it also maps to Volume Up/Down) the behavior is likely (but not necessarily) caused by something external to FSO.

(Or it's an operating system difference, since I am running Windows 10. Still, I'm pretty sure I've probably changed my volume in the mainhall at some point while I was running Windows 7.)

TwoCables, it would really help if you could absolutely verify that your system and Axem's system are not behaving completely differently, and to know that, we need confirmation of whether or not you experience the problem in an older build. I don't want to overwhelm you with insistence that you perform beyond your technical literacy, so I'll try to break this down to a simple set of steps:

1) Download this build.
2) Extract it to your FSO folder.
3) Run fs2_open_3_7_2_RC3.exe (you shouldn't need to go through your launcher; odds are you aren't using any command-line options added since then).
4) If you're really, really worried about messing up your campaign savefile (you won't, but even if you're worried anyway), make a new pilot.
5) See what happens when you hit volume up/down in the mainhall, and report back here.

schrödinbug (noun) - a bug that manifests itself in running software after a programmer notices that the code should never have worked in the first place.

<MageKing17> "There's probably a reason the code is the way it is" is a very dangerous line of thought. :P
<MageKing17> Because the "reason" often turns out to be "nobody noticed it was wrong".
(the very next day)
<MageKing17> "That doesn't really make sense to me, but I'll assume it was being done for a reason."
<MageKing17> **** ME

<MageKing17> Everything points to "this should work fine", and yet it's clearly not working.
(...)
<MageKing17> so

<@The_E> Welcome to OpenGL, where standards compliance is optional, and error reporting inconsistent

<MageKing17> It was all working perfectly until I actually tried it on an actual mission.

<MageKing17> TIL the entire homing code is held up by shoestrings and duct tape, basically.

Offline Axem

I got it to happen with the steam version of FS1 as well. :p

Oh also, no special hotkey programs or registry edits. Just a Steelseries G6v2 keyboard.

It's happening in RC3 too.

Judging from my log file names, I went directly from 3.7.0 Final to 3.7.2 RC4 and then went to 3.7.2 RC5 and then to 3.7.2 Final. I could have sworn I used more versions than that. Either way, I don't remember it happening in 3.7.0 Final. I can't get it to work right now though. I just get this:

Code: [Select]
mv_effects-sdf.tbm(line 16):
Error: Required token = [#END] or [$Species_Name:], found [$Countermeasure Type: Type One] .

ntdll.dll! ZwWaitForSingleObject + 21 bytes
kernel32.dll! WaitForSingleObjectEx + 67 bytes
kernel32.dll! WaitForSingleObject + 18 bytes
fs2_open_3_7_0.exe! <no symbol>

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
MediaVPs is not compatible with 3.7.0. Just run 3.7.0 with no mods and it will work.
Cutscene Upgrade Project - Mainhall Remakes - Between the Ashes
Youtube Channel - P3D Model Box
Between the Ashes is looking for committed testers, PM me for details.
Freespace Upgrade Project See what's happening.

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• Twitter
Still, the fact that it happens on RC3 is confirmation enough that your results should be no different than Axem's.

(the very next day)
<MageKing17> **** ME

(...)
<MageKing17> so

Offline Axem

My discovery is this so far:

Using this program I was able to see the keyboard scan codes when I press certain buttons. When I press Vol Down the BIOS key code is 0x2E. When I press C I also get 0x2E. The keycodes are also the same for Vol Up and C, and Play/Pause and G (other mainhall hotkeys!)

Sort of odd, but when you look at the scan codes in general for the multimedia keys, you see that they collide in the spec as well. (Vol down = E0, 21, C = 21)

Now I asked MageKing to do the same thing, install the program and report what he got. All of his media keys report a BIOS key code of 0x0. So... unintentional hardware level problem perhaps?

Now it's doing it in 3.7.0. The only possible conclusion that I can come up with is, maybe I tolerated it back then - maybe I just put up with it. I used 3.7.2. RC4 *FAR* longer than I used 3.7.0, so I guess that's a possible explanation for why I'm like "whoa, what's this?"

If I copy C:\Games\FreeSpace2\data\players to a safe place, then would I be able to start completely fresh and then copy that back to where it was when I'm done so that I can continue where I left off?

Offline Axem

And then using a different keyboard with media keys, the bios key code for those media keys is 0x0 and FreeSpace doesn't do anything weird with switching screens. So this looks like a case of different hardware implementations causing FreeSpace a little confusion.

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• Twitter
If I copy C:\Games\FreeSpace2\data\players to a safe place, then would I be able to start completely fresh and then copy that back to where it was when I'm done so that I can continue where I left off?
You can just... make a new pilot.

(the very next day)
<MageKing17> **** ME

(...)
<MageKing17> so

Offline niffiwan

• Eluder Class
Sort of odd, but when you look at the scan codes in general for the multimedia keys, you see that they collide in the spec as well. (Vol down = E0, 21, C = 21)

According to that link the scancodes are different, the multimedia ones have an extra "E0", whatever that means. Maybe the test program & FSO are ignoring that "modifier"?
Creating a fs2_open.log | Red Alert Bug = Hex Edit | MediaVPs 2014: Bigger HUD gauges | 32bit libs for 64bit Ubuntu
----
Debian Packages (testing/unstable): Freespace2 | wxLauncher
----
m|m: I think I'm suffering from Stockholm syndrome. Bmpman is starting to make sense and it's actually written reasonably well...

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam
You can just... make a new pilot.

Yes you could but as AdmiralRalwood said, not necessary; make a new pilot and your old campaign files won't be touched (they are stored in the pilot file).

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• Twitter

According to that link the scancodes are different, the multimedia ones have an extra "E0", whatever that means. Maybe the test program & FSO are ignoring that "modifier"?
FSO intentionally performs an "& 0xFF" masking on the key to strip out modifiers that get bitpacked in. The problem is that, assuming that "E0, 21" means that the actual keycode is 0xE021, we have a problem because it overlaps with KEY_DEBUGGED, KEY_CTRLED, and KEY_ALTED.

(the very next day)
<MageKing17> **** ME

(...)
<MageKing17> so

Offline niffiwan

• Eluder Class
what a pain... I wonder what antipodes does here :)
Creating a fs2_open.log | Red Alert Bug = Hex Edit | MediaVPs 2014: Bigger HUD gauges | 32bit libs for 64bit Ubuntu
----
Debian Packages (testing/unstable): Freespace2 | wxLauncher
----
m|m: I think I'm suffering from Stockholm syndrome. Bmpman is starting to make sense and it's actually written reasonably well...

Offline m!m

what a pain... I wonder what antipodes does here :)
That may be worth a try.

@TwoCables: Please try an antipodes build (you'll also need to unpack this zip to your FSO directory) to see if that changes your situation. Those builds use a new and (hopefully) better way of checking which keys were pressed which may solve this issue.