Author Topic: FS Blue Killed My Audio  (Read 1379 times)

Offline Trivial Psychic

• Snoop Junkie
FS Blue Killed My Audio
So I was recently playing through FS Blue for the first time, and I had just completed the last mission after a marathon of many missions, as far back as "The King's Gambit".  I completed the mission and was watching the cutscenes.  The death-of-Capella cutscene worked properly, then it played the player-survives ending cutscene.  During this however, the video suddenly froze, though it took a few moments for the audio to freeze as well.  A few seconds later I saw the Windows-7 things-are-happening-so-please-wait cursor on the screen... a telltale sign that FS has crashed.  After it closed down, I tried to restart FS so I could see if my final mission stats got saved, but it just froze.  I had to go to crtl-alt-del to shut the process down.  After that, I tried restarting again, which did work, but there was no sound.  I shut the game down and tried to play a video on my vid-player, and it worked properly.  I then decided that a reboot was in order.  Windows was quite reluctant for me to leave and I eventually had to hit the reset button to get out.  When Windows was done booting, I openned FS again but ran into the same issue.  Other odd symptoms include:  the interface which had previously auto-stretched to match my screen, was now displaying in the old "full-screen" format.  Also, the sim-speech, which hasn't worked for a very long time, suddenly is working again.  I tried switching builds, but to no avail.  I've toggled off and on the more prominent audio-related options with no effect.  I've since run a debug build (using FSU-2014 media VPs, not anything Blue Planet) and I will post the debug_log file here.

[attachment DELETED!! by Strong Bad]
The Trivial Psychic Strikes Again!

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• The Cthulhu programmer himself!
    • Twitter
Re: FS Blue Killed My Audio
the interface which had previously auto-stretched to match my screen, was now displaying in the old "full-screen" format.
That would be this command-line option:
Code: [Select]
  -stretch_menu
Unless by "interface" you mean something other than the various out-of-mission menu screens...?

Also, the sim-speech, which hasn't worked for a very long time, suddenly is working again.
This is possibly related to some registry location tweaks...

Have you tried using OpenAL Soft?
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Codethulhu GitHub wgah'nagl fhtagn.

schrödinbug (noun) - a bug that manifests itself in running software after a programmer notices that the code should never have worked in the first place.

When you gaze long into BMPMAN, BMPMAN also gazes into you.

"I am one of the best FREDders on Earth" -General Battuta

<Aesaar> literary criticism is vladimir putin

<MageKing17> "There's probably a reason the code is the way it is" is a very dangerous line of thought. :P
<MageKing17> Because the "reason" often turns out to be "nobody noticed it was wrong".
(the very next day)
<MageKing17> this ****ing code did it to me again
<MageKing17> "That doesn't really make sense to me, but I'll assume it was being done for a reason."
<MageKing17> **** ME
<MageKing17> THE REASON IS PEOPLE ARE STUPID
<MageKing17> ESPECIALLY ME

<MageKing17> God damn, I do not understand how this is breaking.
<MageKing17> Everything points to "this should work fine", and yet it's clearly not working.
<MjnMixael> 2 hours later... "God damn, how did this ever work at all?!"
(...)
<MageKing17> so
<MageKing17> more than two hours
<MageKing17> but once again we have reached the inevitable conclusion
<MageKing17> How did this code ever work in the first place!?

<@The_E> Welcome to OpenGL, where standards compliance is optional, and error reporting inconsistent

<MageKing17> It was all working perfectly until I actually tried it on an actual mission.

<IronWorks> I am useful for FSO stuff again. This is a red-letter day!
* z64555 erases "Thursday" and rewrites it in red ink

<MageKing17> TIL the entire homing code is held up by shoestrings and duct tape, basically.

Offline Trivial Psychic

• Snoop Junkie
the interface which had previously auto-stretched to match my screen, was now displaying in the old "full-screen" format.
That would be this command-line option:
Code: [Select]
  -stretch_menu
Unless by "interface" you mean something other than the various out-of-mission menu screens...?
Actually, I had previously NOT been using the -stretch_menu command line, but it was stretching none-the-less.  After the incident, suddenly the menu and interface became un stretched, requiring the use of the flag to revert to the previous behavior.

Also, the sim-speech, which hasn't worked for a very long time, suddenly is working again.
This is possibly related to some registry location tweaks...

Have you tried using OpenAL Soft?
Tried switching to Generic hardware/software instead of my actual sound-blaster option, and the sound and sim-speech are working again, so I guess that my Sound Blaster drivers got screwed-up during the incident.  I will try to reinstall them, but if it doesn't work, at least I have the generic options.  Is there a speed advantage to using generic hardware as opposed to generic software?

Regardless, thank you for your suggestion as it seems to have bypassed the issue, if not 100% resolved it.
The Trivial Psychic Strikes Again!

Offline Cyborg17

• Life? Don't talk to me about life....
Is there a speed advantage to using generic hardware as opposed to generic software?

Pretty sure there isn't.  The major difference should just be sound quality.