Author Topic: BP: War in Heaven discussion  (Read 908607 times)

Offline Makhpella

• Kharak is burning!
Re: BP: War in Heaven discussion
Has something happened with team colours? 1st Fleet specifically.

The turqoise is gone from the spinning thingy.

[attachment stolen by Russian hackers]
'I'm from the marksman school of conversation.' -Kovacs

Years if ever, the problem is that we're all adults now and Darius is a doctor and I'm a writer. BP tended to get done in full-crunch sprints when one of us would work on it full time, no job no distractions, and the rest of the team would rally in support: but that's not really practical now.

But the story will be wrapped up somehow. Also we started sneaking in some planned BP3 mechanics in AoA.

I got the sense this was going to be the way of thing. It's why I kind of wish you guys hadn't tried to reinvent the wheel quite so hard with the level of complexity. Nothing's worse than a story you get invested dying a slow death.

On the plus side, you all did some great work over the years. Actually, would it be possible to FRED a cutscene conclusion to the story? That might give everyone some needed closure.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
I don't think complexity was particularly an issue; it's just a matter of man-hours available for work. We spent our last big sprint on voice acting instead of finishing BP2. The story won't die. One way or another it will be told.

Offline Bryan See

• Has anyone really been far as decided to use even go want to do look more like?
  • Trying to redeem, but under Tiger Parents
    • Twitter
Years if ever, the problem is that we're all adults now and Darius is a doctor and I'm a writer. BP tended to get done in full-crunch sprints when one of us would work on it full time, no job no distractions, and the rest of the team would rally in support: but that's not really practical now.
Just like me. But the situation is different.
Bryan See - My FreeSpace Wiki User Page (Talk, Contributions)

Full Projects:
Shattered Stars

Campaigns:
Lost in the Mist - Cyrene vs. Psamtik
FreeSpace: Reunited

Ships:
GTS Hygeia, GTT Argo, SC Raguel

Tools:
FSO TC/Game template

I've been under attack by Tiger Parents like Jennifer Pan...

So, not like you then.

Offline Bryan See

• Has anyone really been far as decided to use even go want to do look more like?
  • Trying to redeem, but under Tiger Parents
    • Twitter
Fine with me.

Now then, back to the BP: WiH discussion. What will happen to Admiral Steele and Noemi Laporte?
Bryan See - My FreeSpace Wiki User Page (Talk, Contributions)

Full Projects:
Shattered Stars

Campaigns:
Lost in the Mist - Cyrene vs. Psamtik
FreeSpace: Reunited

Ships:
GTS Hygeia, GTT Argo, SC Raguel

Tools:
FSO TC/Game template

I've been under attack by Tiger Parents like Jennifer Pan...

Offline Makhpella

• Kharak is burning!
Uhm, we'll find out in acts 4 and/or 5? the future?
« Last Edit: April 03, 2017, 12:03:03 pm by Makhpella »
'I'm from the marksman school of conversation.' -Kovacs

Offline Abaddon

• Behind you, pilot!
I'd predict some sort of new alliance against the Vishnans, echoing the formation of the GTVA in some ways... Steele could probably offer terms soft enough to achieve UEF surrender, perhaps some degree of local UEF autonomy in exchange for a UEF-GTVA military alliance and overall GTVA governance.

This makes a bit of sense when you think about the greatest UEF victory, the destruction of the Carthage. It took an immense amount of logistics and planning, and very heavy losses, including three frigates (four when you count the Indus getting flung into the sun) - all to take down a ship that, however well altered, is still a retrofitted Great War-era destroyer. This doesn't come anywhere near providing a solution for the Atreus or Imperieuse, not to mention the Orestes or Temeraire should they be actively deployed. So in my opinion, the threat of directly deploying any subset of the superdestroyer force against Earth's defenses could succeed in achieving surrender under any kind of reasonable terms, especially now that both sides would seem to be aware that the Vishnans' interference isn't benevolent. Common enemies always speed things along.

Of course this is all just my speculative headcanon. I'd love to have it replaced with real BP canon at some point  ;)
There are four types of critics:
  (1)  People who reflexively criticize any idea (contrarians)
  (2)  People who enjoy making you suffer (sadists)
  (3)  People who are angry for no good reason (nuts)
  (4)  People with valid criticisms (bastards)
- S. A.

Offline CT27

I'd predict some sort of new alliance against the Vishnans, echoing the formation of the GTVA in some ways... Steele could probably offer terms soft enough to achieve UEF surrender, perhaps some degree of local UEF autonomy in exchange for a UEF-GTVA military alliance and overall GTVA governance.

So somewhat kind of like the current China-Hong Kong situation?

Offline Abaddon

• Behind you, pilot!
In a way. Maybe a closer parallel would be Russia/Chechnya given the wars there in recent decades.
- S. A.

Offline Mito [PL]

• Proud Member of Slavicus Mechanicus
Whoah. I thought I wrote these two replies above...

Welp, it wasn't me. :rolleyes:
How do you kill a hydra?

You starve it to death.

Offline Abaddon

• Behind you, pilot!
Haha my bad, this has been my Steam avatar for a while, I swear!
- S. A.

Offline NFSRacer

• Professional aircraft crasher!
    • Steam
I suspect I may be asking a question that's already been answered, but as it's been almost two and a half years since I've gotten FSO and played Blue Planet, I'd like to know if WiH II has had any work for possible voice acting?  I feel like it'd add to the story's quality a fair bit more.  Likewise...Well, I have recently started up doing video game commentary, so I'd like to possibly do a Let's Play of WiH II myself (the first two acts I kind played to death, so I don't feel like it'd be genuine enough to really allow viewers to enjoy).  As it stands, WiH II I don't think I've ever completed, let alone even fully understood that story at all due to the lack of voice acting.  The combat makes all the discussions get drowned away.
"Said 'It was up to us.  Up to us, to decide.  You've become a virus that eating up it host.  We've been watching you with all our eye, and what you seem to value most.  'So much potential'.  Or so we used to say.  Your greed, self-importance, and your arrogance, you p*** it all away.'" - NIN from Year Zero

Offline starlord

At the risk of having a different point of view than most, I'd much prefer some more work on acts 4 and 5, not to mention the seemingly more and more elusive BP3.
All I'm saying is I wouldn't wish for those to be cancelled simply because all time and resources got shifted to VA.

Offline Abaddon

• Behind you, pilot!
I don't think that's an unpopular opinion. I'm fairly sure I read that's the devs' consensus too, either earlier in this discussion or in another thread.
- S. A.

Offline Aesaar

When the team has time for another month-long sprint, it'll almost be certainly devoted to getting Act 4 (at least!) out the door.  It's just hard to find the time.  Even I haven't worked on a model in many, many months.

Offline starlord

I don't think we are in a position to demand anything from people who are already freely giving us a stunning product on their own time.

I must say however that I would love to see this go through to the end one day.

By the way, don't get me wrong: the voice acting is superb.

Offline Torchwood

• Mechanical Templar
Of course we're not entitled to demand something. We are, however, free to proclaim what we believe is more important. Everyone in the devteam probably knows already, but it nevers hurts to give confirmation.

And while the voice acting is great, I wouldn't say it's a critical as bringing the story to a close.

Offline Darius

Still chipping away at Act 4 when I get the time alongside occasional spurts of activity by the team polishing up the modpack. It's been five years and most of the act 4 missions are a good way to completion with just the finale causing trouble and not yet started.  I'd bet on the next release as being Act 4 before any VA release.

Offline starlord

Great to know.