Author Topic: Cease and Desist??  (Read 5487 times)

Hey everyone, really great job on the game so far. With the news that star wars: galaxy in turmoil has been shut down with a cease and desist order, it sort of had me concerned about this mod.  Lucasarts aren't too bothered about free initiatives but that one was free and still shut down as it was too similar to battlefront. As the battlefront add-ons and sequel next year may well include space battles, isn't there a likelihood the same will happen to this mod? That would be such a terrible shame after all the years of work on this.

Offline CountBuggula

• Fate of the Galaxy
A couple of things to consider:

• We've made a conscious and deliberate effort to keep the name "Star Wars" out of our mod.  It's not in our title, it's not in our graphics or opening crawl.  It's something most mods have done in the past to avoid litigation, and something Galaxy in Turmoil failed to do.  We don't know all the details behind why Galaxy in Turmoil was shut down (as opposed to countless other Star Wars mods), but I've got a feeling it was much more due to using "Star Wars" in the title than by being "too similar" to battlefront.
  • Even if there's a Battlefront game that includes space battles, there's virtually no overlap.  FotG is a space combat simulator, Battlefront is an action/arcade shooter.  I haven't seen any indication that Lucasarts has any interest at all in getting back into the Space Combat Simulator genre again.  We're not taking any sales away from any current or proposed Lucasarts game.
  • Tying in with the "Star Wars" directly in the title, they were slated to be released on Steam.  I can understand the reluctance of LucasArts/Disney to allow a free game with the name Star Wars in the title being distributed on an official platform like Steam where there are many other official Star Wars games available for purchase.  The possibility of customers confusing the fan made mod for an official product are too high, and that seems to be a big deal in the courts for these sorts of issues.
  • We use no copyrighted assets in our mod.  All our models and textures and graphics are built from scratch.  We've created our own sound effects from scratch instead of using stock clips from the movies.  Our music has been composed from scratch in a manner reminiscent of John Williams'.

These are not all foolproof, but we've gone to pretty great lengths to avoid calling down the wrath of Disney's lawyers.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2016, 03:43:05 pm by CountBuggula »

Offline MetalDestroyer

• Starwars reborn!
Well, the team behing Galaxy in Turmoil has meet Lucasfilm staff, and the latter could accept Galaxy in Turmoil but they have a contract with Electronic Arts. EA has for now, all exclusivity on Star Wars licensing for video game.
And since Galaxy in Turmoil compete with their Star Wars Battlefront, the game has been shut down.

Offline Trivial Psychic

• Snoop Junkie
This may be a stupid thought, but would it be proper for someone on the team to contact Lucasarts directly, identify what the mod is about, identify how you are trying to avoid infringement, identify how it won't get in their way, and ask if there is anything further you should do to stay out of their turret arc, so to speak?  Or is it suicide to deliberately raise your hand?
The Trivial Psychic Strikes Again!

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
It's best to let sleeping lawyers lie.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline CountBuggula

• Fate of the Galaxy
It's best to let sleeping lawyers lie.

Yep.  I have no desire to poke the bear with a stick.  Once we release we will do so with as much fanfare and attention as we can muster, but also have to consider that there's much less interest from the general public in a combat sim based on an outdated game engine than something like Battlefront.  We're a niche interest, and that does protect us to some degree.  More so because we're a niche interest that LucasArts has publicly stated they have no interest in.  But that doesn't make us invulnerable, and I don't want to go causing unnecessary waves.

Offline chief1983

• Still lacks a custom title
  • ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
The first rule about C&Ds is...
Fate of the Galaxy - Now Hiring!  Apply within | Diaspora | SCP Home | Collada Importer for PCS2
Karajorma's 'How to report bugs' | Mantis
#freespace | #scp-swc | #diaspora | #SCP | #hard-light on EsperNet

"You may not sell or otherwise commercially exploit the source or things you created based on the source." -- Excerpt from FSO license, for reference

Nuclear1:  Jesus Christ zack you're a little too hamyurger for HLP right now...
iamzack:  i dont have hamynerge i just want ptatoc hips D:
redsniper:  Platonic hips?!
iamzack:  lays

I was afraid that this would happen once Battlefront came out. It would have been nice to see the game.

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam
I was afraid that this would happen once Battlefront came out. It would have been nice to see the game.

:confused:

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• The Cthulhu programmer himself!
    • Twitter
Maybe he was talking about Galaxy in Turmoil?
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Codethulhu GitHub wgah'nagl fhtagn.

schrödinbug (noun) - a bug that manifests itself in running software after a programmer notices that the code should never have worked in the first place.

When you gaze long into BMPMAN, BMPMAN also gazes into you.

"I am one of the best FREDders on Earth" -General Battuta

<Aesaar> literary criticism is vladimir putin

<MageKing17> "There's probably a reason the code is the way it is" is a very dangerous line of thought. :P
<MageKing17> Because the "reason" often turns out to be "nobody noticed it was wrong".
(the very next day)
<MageKing17> this ****ing code did it to me again
<MageKing17> "That doesn't really make sense to me, but I'll assume it was being done for a reason."
<MageKing17> **** ME
<MageKing17> THE REASON IS PEOPLE ARE STUPID
<MageKing17> ESPECIALLY ME

<MageKing17> God damn, I do not understand how this is breaking.
<MageKing17> Everything points to "this should work fine", and yet it's clearly not working.
<MjnMixael> 2 hours later... "God damn, how did this ever work at all?!"
(...)
<MageKing17> so
<MageKing17> more than two hours
<MageKing17> but once again we have reached the inevitable conclusion
<MageKing17> How did this code ever work in the first place!?

<@The_E> Welcome to OpenGL, where standards compliance is optional, and error reporting inconsistent

<MageKing17> It was all working perfectly until I actually tried it on an actual mission.

<IronWorks> I am useful for FSO stuff again. This is a red-letter day!
* z64555 erases "Thursday" and rewrites it in red ink

<MageKing17> TIL the entire homing code is held up by shoestrings and duct tape, basically.

Yep. Isn't that what this OT of this thread is about? But also would like to hear how this will affect Fate of The Galaxy seeing it is a non profit game.

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam
Oh I see.  Thought you were thinking FotG had received a C&D for some reason.

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
Gotta admit, that's why I poked my head in here.

Battlefront is receiving a 3D flight sim component for the Playstation 3D headset by the way. I think that's what OP was referring to.
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

Offline Mobius

• Back where he started
  • Porto l'azzurro Dolce Stil Novo nella fantascienza
    • The Lightblue Ribbon | Cultural Project
I doubt it would be comparable to an actual space sim, Dekker. All the examples of space sim "components" I know of are so poor they can't be even considered space sims by those who actually know the genre and its main characteristics. Also, bear in mind that the audience of FPS games probably wouldn't accept anything other than a space sim minigame with very simple controls; go beyond that and you'd get a crowd of angry players complaining about it.

Yet, it doesn't mean FotG can't piss those game programmers off. I hope it won't.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2016, 06:23:59 am by Mobius »
The Lightblue Ribbon

Inferno: Nostos - Alliance
Series Resurrecta: {{FS Wiki Portal}} -  Gehenna's Gate - The Spirit of Ptah - Serendipity (WIP) - <REDACTED> (WIP)
FreeSpace Campaign Restoration Project
A tribute to FreeSpace in my book: Riflessioni dall'Infinito
My interviews: [ 1 ] - [ 2 ] - [ 3 ]

Well these companies are getting protective over their intellectual property more these days. Look at CBS suing the fan made movie Axanar over copy right infringement when it uses less than most elements of Star Trek than any other fan made movie. It is just getting more attention because of its quality.  Lucasfilm has always been a bit more supported of fan made movies and mods but Disney is another animal to deal with. They have a lot of money to recoup.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1W1_8IV8uhA

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
This is what I was referring to and much like Kylie Minogue it may seem short but boy......is it sexy.

-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....

Offline 0rph3u5

• Oceans rise. Empires fall.
I doubt it would be comparable to an actual space sim, Dekker. All the examples of space sim "components" I know of are so poor they can't be even considered space sims by those who actually know the genre and its main characteristics. Also, bear in mind that the audience of FPS games probably wouldn't accept anything other than a space sim minigame with very simple controls; go beyond that and you'd get a crowd of angry players complaining about it.

Yet, it doesn't mean FotG can't piss those game programmers off. I hope it won't.

*cut*

I saw it in the flesh, it is visually impressive but it is what is already in Battlefront with a VR interface and fuctionality from the headset (the simplicity of SW:BF's gameplay actually helps to soak it all in)

EDIT: Also the IGN video is really misleading as none of the footage they show is from the demo; (also you don't "walk around" the X-Wing in mission prep - you jump around view points around it)
« Last Edit: August 22, 2016, 03:45:14 am by 0rph3u5 »
"As you sought to steal a kingdom for yourself, so must you do again, a thousand times over. For a theft, a true theft, must be practiced to be earned." - The terms of Nyrissa's curse, Pathfinder: Kingmaker

==================

"I am Curiosity, and I've always wondered what would become of you, here at the end of the world." - The Guide/The Curious Other, Othercide

"When you work with water, you have to know and respect it. When you labour to subdue it, you have to understand that one day it may rise up and turn all your labours into nothing. For what is water, which seeks to make all things level, which has no taste or colour of its own, but a liquid form of Nothing?" - Graham Swift, Waterland

"...because they are not Dragons."

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
 :yes: you lucky so and so  ;)
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine

Secret bomb God.

Offline Tnadz

FYI, in case anyone was still looking at this, the Galaxy in Turmoil game is still going to be released on Steam.  They will just be pulling out certain Star Wars and Battlefront related assets out and supposedly replacing them with originals.  This may push their deadline back, but it seems that they are still optimistic about hitting a 2017 Q3 date for a demo.  One that's definitely aimed at a supported crowd funding campaign.