Author Topic: Lighting test for WiH  (Read 49814 times)

Offline pecenipicek

• Roast Chicken
  • Powered by copious amounts of coffee and nicotine
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • PeceniPicek's own deviantart page
Matter of opinion. I love seeing the inside of the ship I'm piloting, I get Imp's HUD mod for X3: Terran Conflict so I can see the insides of the cockpit, it doesn't get in the way for me in any way. I actually don't like having just a blank view with the HUD indicators, I hate that.
it enhances nothing, and gets in the way of the gameplay FSO was designed for.

I have bolded the important part for you. If the HUD wasnt drawn over the cockpit like normal, i'd agree. but as it is, cockpits are useless if you ask me, and i vastly preferred cockpit-less models of all fighters.

Also, i meant to say the gameplay FS2 was designed for, not FSO, just not to get any confusions in
Ho, ho, ho, to the bottle I go
to heal my heart and drown my woe!
Rain may fall and wind may blow,
and many miles be still to go,
but under a tall tree I will lie!

The Apocalypse Project needs YOU! - recruiting info thread.

Well, the cockpit haters have hijacked another thread. Wasn't this about post-processing?
Did you hear that fellas? She says I have a Meritorious Unit.

Offline torc

• Diaspora SFX engineer
we aren't cockpit haters, we want a real cockpit!!!!!  :lol:
back to the topic: i notice the motion blur effect seems applicated only to the stars...is that right or the effect is applied at the ships too?
indossare una divisa può avere un prezzo alto...ma a volte...è troppo alto!!! Bill Adama

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
The "motion blur" effect (which really isn't motion blur) has been in the engine since retail, and only affects stars.

It's also horrible.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline -Sara-

Sort of a "/blur on" and "/blur off" while everything not background stays crispy.
Currently playing: real life.

"Paying bills, working, this game called real life is so much fun!" - Said nobody ever.

Offline -Sara-

At Fury's request, one without post-processing.

Blue Planet - the vid without post processing

Blue Planet - the original vid with post processing

As colourful as a divebar jukebox.. or a rave party..  :ick:

NOTE: For those who think it's too dark, just don't use the additional command line Fury included seperate from the post processing data and it should show up lighter. It's also worth checking your monitor settings. Many monitors at factory values show too much contrast and may not have a proper brightness level.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2010, 02:03:23 pm by -Sara- »

"Paying bills, working, this game called real life is so much fun!" - Said nobody ever.

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
Hey look, colors

Awesome
Urutorahappī!!

[02:42] <@Axem> spoon somethings wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> critically wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> im happy with these missions now
[02:44] <@Axem> well
[02:44] <@Axem> with 2 of them

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
I definitely prefer it with postprocessing over without, but I think we can hopefully find a compromise setting that's less desaturated.

Offline NFSRacer

• Professional aircraft crasher!
    • Steam
I agree with Battuta, but I also like fuller colors.  I guess you can't have the best of two worlds, huh?
"Said 'It was up to us.  Up to us, to decide.  You've become a virus that eating up it host.  We've been watching you with all our eye, and what you seem to value most.  'So much potential'.  Or so we used to say.  Your greed, self-importance, and your arrogance, you p*** it all away.'" - NIN from Year Zero

Offline -Sara-

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq

Offline NFSRacer

• Steam
"Said 'It was up to us.  Up to us, to decide.  You've become a virus that eating up it host.  We've been watching you with all our eye, and what you seem to value most.  'So much potential'.  Or so we used to say.  Your greed, self-importance, and your arrogance, you p*** it all away.'" - NIN from Year Zero

Offline Liberator

• Poe's Law In Action
Definately better than the first one, but I'm inclined to reserve this kind of "noir" for flashbacks/foreshadowing than regular gameplay.  It's "unreal" qualities would serve very well as a narrative break to indicate that this is not part of the existing narrative.
So as through a glass, and darkly
The age long strife I see
Where I fought in many guises,
Many names, but always me.

There are only 10 types of people in the world , those that understand binary and those that don't.

Offline Deadly in a Shadow

• Buntu!
What a the differences in this video (despite the music). Like NFSRacer I didn't see any unusual.
"Ka-BOOOOOOOOM!!!!"
"Uh, Sir we can hear the explosion."
"No you can't, there is no air in space. Sound can't travel through a vacuum!"

Offline -Sara-

The Orion isn't pitch black.

Offline -Norbert-

I agree with Battuta, but I also like fuller colors.  I guess you can't have the best of two worlds, huh?
Did you even download the archive Fury provided in the first post? Or for that matter read the rest of this thread?
You CAN have a version with post processing and only very little color loss. Just use the data_subtle folder instead of data_verystrong.

Or if that's still too little color you can even open up the table file and edit the value to whatever you like, including 100% (which would be 1.0 in the file) and maybe even beyond, though since I havn't tried that I have no idea how that would look.... eyeglaring maybe....
But I couldn't really tell the difference between normal colors and the subtle saturaiton sets, unless I get two pictures side-by-side.

See http://www.hard-light.net/forums/index.php?topic=72883.msg1439827#msg1439827 for some screenshots with post-processing and color, even though the saturation value is lower (less color) than in the "stock" subtle folder of Furys archive.

Offline -Sara-

For example, 500% saturation.

MY EYES!!!
17:37:02   Quanto: I want to have sexual intercourse with every space elf in existence
17:37:11   SpardaSon21: even the males?
17:37:22   Quanto: its not gay if its an elf

[21:51] <@Droid803> I now realize
[21:51] <@Droid803> this will be SLIIIIIGHTLY awkward
[21:51] <@Droid803> as this rich psychic girl will now be tsundere for a loli.
[21:51] <@Droid803> OH WELLL.

See what you're missing in #WoD and #Fsquest?

[07:57:32] <Caiaphas> inspired by HerraTohtori i built a supermaneuverable plane in ksp
[07:57:43] <Caiaphas> i just killed my pilots with a high-g maneuver
[07:58:19] <Caiaphas> apparently people can't take 20 gees for 5 continuous seconds
[08:00:11] <Caiaphas> the plane however performed admirably, and only crashed because it no longer had any guidance systems

Offline NFSRacer

• Steam
Oh.  I thought the effects levels were fixed?  Okay, then I guess I can have them both! :warp:

Offline -Norbert-

500% looks about right for JAD  :lol: