Author Topic: New heavy frigate  (Read 48167 times)

PROJECT CURRENT STATUS:
I subscribed a P3d account. Here is the model at the current status.

" width="100%" height="480px" frameborder="0" seamless allowfullscreen webkitallowfullscreen>
« Last Edit: May 07, 2017, 07:27:19 am by whitearrow »

Looks promising. Definitely has a UEF feel about the structural elements, like those detached armour plates.
The good Christian should beware of mathematicians, and all those who make empty prophecies. The danger already exists that the mathematicians have made a covenant with the devil to darken the spirit and to confine man in the bonds of Hell.

Offline Beskargam

• We'z got a nob to lead us boys, wadaful.
I was gonna say mass effect-y with the swept "wings". But I very much see the UEF resemblance. Congrats and keep up the good work

Offline An4ximandros

• Transabyssal metastatic event
 I see none of Blue Planet's metastatic influence.

The ship's silhouette is quite interesting, looking forward to more pics. :nod:

Offline Black Wolf

• Twisted Infinities
  • Hey! You! Get off-a my cloud!
    • Visit the TI homepage!
Interesting. Getting a bit of a SW vibe from it myself, to add to the confusion. :D

Is it intended for the FS universe, out of curiosity? If so, what role do you see it playing? Frigate has been used ambiguously and inconsistently (The Iceni was consistently called a "Command Frigate" and the Hippocrates a "Medical Frigate", so the way I've always rationalized that is that a frigate is a greater-than-cruiser sized ship with a specialized function - any plans for such a function with this ship?
TWISTED INFINITIES · SECTORGAME· FRONTLINES
Rarely Updated P3D.
Burn the heretic who killed F2S! Burn him, burn him!!- GalEmp

Yes, it is intended for FS universe and it's a stealth long range artillery asset. It's mission is to rapidly destroy dreadnoughts' support ships from safe distance, to allow other friendly ships to concentrate fire on their main target.
Actually t's a long story: this design is influenced by so many games/movies that I'm afraid it's becoming a bit confusing.

Let's start from the beginning: initially it was intended as an UEF ship. I was intrigued by those armored plates on Karuna's aft and wanted to build something with them. Than I played Shadow Genesis and appreciated the mighty power of Nightmare's beams, but they were poorly protected. I could sweep away an entire fleet's main firepower with a sigle fighter thanks to extraordinarily effective long range weapons.
Finally I also had a look to BlasterNT's stealth bomber.

SO,
I wanted to merge all these features into one ship: stealth design, UEF-like armour, super-heavy long range primary laser, well protected and difficult to target (infact the beam's emitter is recessed into the hull, altough still visible from the very front view). I'm currently building it's primary structure, that has a Yamato-battleship feeling indeed...
The general arrow + swept-wing design is inspired to Star Wars' Imperial destryers. I plan to arrange the engines exhoust nozzles like the Executor-class superdestroyer's.
It won't feature all that greebling you can find on SW ships instead: I need the upper deck to remain polish to maintain stealth capability. There will be also some AAA turrets but not too many: I don't want the ship to seem overpowered, since it is already heavily armoured, stealth, fast and has a deadly primary.

As far as the size is concerned I think that, once finished, it will be more or less as big as the UEF Narayana...

The hull is taking shape...

This is my very first model (except for the one from the ShadowWolf_IH's tutorial, which I found extremely useful), so all good advices all welcome!

[attachment deleted by ninja]

I'm liking the way the structure's looking, but are you going to be adding more 'solid' areas? Right now the cannon seems to be the only non-armour section except for the bridge.
The good Christian should beware of mathematicians, and all those who make empty prophecies. The danger already exists that the mathematicians have made a covenant with the devil to darken the spirit and to confine man in the bonds of Hell.

yes of course! The cannon and the engineering section are the only parts that you can see right now, but there will be a fighter bay, two heavy turrets on the dorsal side and some AAA turrets spread around the entire ship. I plan to add some antennas here and there... :) don't worry it won't appear so flat...

Offline headdie

• i don't use punctuation lol
  • Lawful Neutral with a Chaotic outook
    • Minecraft
    • Headdie on Deviant Art
I think PhantomHoover hover is on about the fact that all the ship seems to be atm is a cannon with a load of plates stuck to it, many of which, to me anyway, dont seem to be protecting anything, jutting away from the ship with not even anything to support them.
Minister of Interstellar Affairs Sol Union - Retired
quote General Battuta - "FRED is canon!"
Contact me at [email protected]
My Release Thread, Old Release Thread, Celestial Objects Thread, My rubbish attempts at art

I think PhantomHoover hover is on about the fact that all the ship seems to be atm is a cannon with a load of plates stuck to it, many of which, to me anyway, dont seem to be protecting anything, jutting away from the ship with not even anything to support them.
the ship actually IS a cannon with plates. The plates will gain a support and will protect the secondary anti-ship weaponry. I will add thicker armour to the cannon in case.

Anyway, what improvements are you suggesting?

Offline headdie

• Minecraft
    • Headdie on Deviant Art
Personally, it dosnt look like there are a lot of places for crew to occupy, sub systems to be located and stuff like that unless you are thinkign they should be in the plates themselves, also looking at the cannon is it a UEF mass driver type?  in which case where woudl the ammo be stored.

while I know this sort of stuff comes under the category of what ever works for you and it's your model to take where you like, to me it feels to streamlined to be plausible.
My Release Thread, Old Release Thread, Celestial Objects Thread, My rubbish attempts at art

Offline Mars

• I have no originality
  • Attempting unreasonable levels of reasonable
Personally, it dosnt look like there are a lot of places for crew to occupy, sub systems to be located and stuff like that unless you are thinkign they should be in the plates themselves, also looking at the cannon is it a UEF mass driver type?  in which case where woudl the ammo be stored.

while I know this sort of stuff comes under the category of what ever works for you and it's your model to take where you like, to me it feels to streamlined to be plausible.

The crew of an Orion could fit in a Fenris or less. I don't think the crew will be too cramped.

Personally, it doesn't look like there are a lot of places for crew to occupy, sub systems to be located and stuff like that unless you are thinking they should be in the plates themselves, also looking at the cannon is it a UEF mass driver type?  in which case where woudl the ammo be stored.

Ok, now the point is clear. Maybe the perspective is a bit confusing. In the stern section, there is a quite a lot of space in the gap between the "core" (engine) and the plates to be filled with crew's quarters, I don't think it'll be a problem.

Anyway, I think that maybe I was misunderstood: the picture I posted don't even nearly represent the final version of the ship. I wanted to show the evolution of the project to attract suggestions: indeed there is still plenty of stuff I have to add under those big plates. The ship is going to look more massive than it seems right now...

On the cannon's type... I meant it to be a high energy weapon. I'm aware that this is not the kind of stuff the UEF is used to build. But, as I said, I played the Shadow Genesis campaign and I learnt how dangerous energy weapons can be. I wanted to give UEF something to allow them to sweep away a deimos-class with ease.
Spoiler:
In Blue Planet's storyline, I think this kind of weapon can be justified by the analysis of the Agincourt's databases and subsequent development of an energy cannon based on GTVA's researches. Fedayeen captured a Shivan specimen, so they might have used him to hybridize GTVA's technology with Shivan's.
On the other end this doesn't prevent the ship to be used in whatever other FS's campaign.

Offline headdie

• Minecraft
    • Headdie on Deviant Art
ahhh fair enough then, that makes sense

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
While you should of course draw inspiration from anything that moves you, bear in mind that an energy weapon (or any other kind of weapon) is just as dangerous as the campaign designers make it. All you need to do to see how dangerous energy weapons can be is to table one that does a billion damage. All you need to do to see how useless and ineffectual they are is to table one that does one point of damage.

Offline Rampage

• Son Of Rampage
  • Urogynaecologist
Nice ship...however, one common mistake many new modelers make is they add too much detail before finalizing the general ship of the hull.  This is often overlooked because it is time-consuming to make the hull exactly you imagine it to be.  So make your hull first before adding any bevel to the main structure.  Right now it looks as if your ship is still comprised of simple polygons but already has too much detail - - this will cause much difficulty later if you wish to go back to changing your hull as your little bevels here and there will impede modification.

R

You're right, but while the ship is growing, the hull's shape is remaining more or less the same you can see in those previous pictures... I understand your point, but I like to define some details immediately, but only some. The greebling stage is still far from coming...

Offline An4ximandros

• Transabyssal metastatic event
 Recommend you move pictures to a dedicated site (Ex: ImageShack) or to make a P3d (Or whatever the rival site was called) account. Attachments are deleted by the forum basterd.

Details of the bridge