Author Topic: GTCa Hera  (Read 29330 times)

Here is the model that I'm making now . Aesaar's Diomedes inspired carrier named Hera. I had a lot of free time yesterday so I managed to do some basic shape.

« Last Edit: December 11, 2013, 07:48:28 am by Col.Hornet »

Offline MatthTheGeek

• Captain Obvious
  • Frenchie McFrenchface
I think your p3d link is bogus or private, 404 here.
People are stupid, therefore anything popular is at best suspicious.

Mod management tools     -     Wiki stuff!     -     Help us help you

666maslo666: Releasing a finished product is not a good thing! It is a modern fad.

SpardaSon21: it seems like you exist in a permanent state of half-joking misanthropy

Axem: when you put it like that, i sound like an insane person

bigchunk1: it's not retarded it's american!
bigchunk1: ...

batwota: steele's maneuvering for the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: you mispelled grâce
Awaesaar: grace
batwota: oh right :P
Darius: ah!
Darius: yes, i like that
MatthTheGeek: the way you just spelled it it means fat
Awaesaar: +accent I forgot how to keyboard
MatthTheGeek: or grease
Darius: the killing fat!
Axem: jabba does the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: XD
Axem: bring me solo and a cookie

Offline MatthTheGeek

• Captain Obvious
  • Frenchie McFrenchface
Lookin' good so far, but I'm not sure I'm fan of the whole WC-esque run-the-length-of-the-ship bay, especially without doors , and especially when it makes the ship that hollow.

There's very little volume left for reactor, ammunition, crew, maintenance crew and spare parts for the fighters.

I suggest any of the battlestars from BSG as good examples of how you can make run-the-length bays right without compromising the whole ship.
People are stupid, therefore anything popular is at best suspicious.

Mod management tools     -     Wiki stuff!     -     Help us help you

666maslo666: Releasing a finished product is not a good thing! It is a modern fad.

SpardaSon21: it seems like you exist in a permanent state of half-joking misanthropy

Axem: when you put it like that, i sound like an insane person

bigchunk1: it's not retarded it's american!
bigchunk1: ...

batwota: steele's maneuvering for the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: you mispelled grâce
Awaesaar: grace
batwota: oh right :P
Darius: ah!
Darius: yes, i like that
MatthTheGeek: the way you just spelled it it means fat
Awaesaar: +accent I forgot how to keyboard
MatthTheGeek: or grease
Darius: the killing fat!
Axem: jabba does the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: XD
Axem: bring me solo and a cookie

Yes, you are right, however this is not the entire ship.  I plan to add some structures above the landing deck, like bridge and several other objects but now I cannot do that because I'm using mirror modifier in Blender. This ship will be asymmetric (the bridge will be on right or left side like on the US Navy carriers)

Offline Enioch

• Alternative History Word Writer
Yeah, I was about to say that that topdeck needed some superstructure. If you're planning on doing it, that'd be fine.

I like the large bay.
'Violence is the last refuge of the incompetent'  -Salvor Hardin, "Foundation"

So don't take a hammer to your computer. ;-)

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
I'd actually prefer a flythrough fighterbay, IMO it looks better. House engineering stuff in the engine pods, and command inside an "island" on top deck or on the side (like in HW Hiigaran Carrier).

i rescaled entire hull a little ("wings" seemed to be a little bit too big). I would also like to show you how I see the placement of the bridge.

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
I just had a thought. The island is nice, but could you try placing it on the front, around middeck level, facing sideways? Sort of like a Hiigaran Carrier from Homeworld 2. The way you have it now, it just seems a lot like Scooby's carriers. Side-mounted bridge with a perfectly flat top would be something new.

Oh, and it definitely looks like "flythrought converted to a closed-bay". Could you make it flythrought like it used to be? It looked much better.

Offline blowfish

• Join the cult of KILL MY ROUTER!!!!!!!!!!1
Very nice design :)  I'm not a huge fan of the asymmetric bridge though - IMO something lower and more centered would look better (though I know the height of such things is a matter of tireless debate).  You seem rather set on this arrangement though, so no need to listen to me :P

Also, I disagree with Dragon re: flythrough fighter bay.  It looks fine just loading through the front, engines need to go somewhere, and this is more consistent with ... everything else in the Freespace universe.

It's a nice model. I can see a bit of Aesaar's influence here and there. But that bridge's configuration looks like something that have been already seen around. Though the island bridge makes sense onto an aircraft carrier for obvious reasons, I don't think it does in a starship, unless you place some heavy weapon system on the deck or engines or something else to justify the bridge's asymmetric position...

Offline Nyctaeus

• The Slavic Engineer
  • My "FS Ships" folder is 582gb.
    • Minecraft
    • Exile
Most of the flat plate around the bridge will be occupied by landing pads, docks and other stuff like this.
Exile | Shadow Genesis | Inferno | Series Resurrecta  | DA Profile | P3D Profile

Proud owner of NyctiShipyards. Remember - Nyx will fix it!

All of my assets including models, textures, skyboxes, effects may be used under standard CC BY-NC 4.0 license.

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
Also, I disagree with Dragon re: flythrough fighter bay.  It looks fine just loading through the front, engines need to go somewhere, and this is more consistent with ... everything else in the Freespace universe.
The engines could go on side pods, and on the lower half of the hull. I agree that it's more consistent with other models... That's what we're trying to avoid, don't you think? We've already got enough of non-flythrought bays on other models.

Offline Droid803

• Trusted poster of legit stuff
  • /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕ 人\ Do you want to be a Magical Girl?
If you don't make it fly-through I would recommend putting doors on so the AI doesn't get stuck in it (and so players can't hide in it, etc).
While not strictly necessary, it's probably a good idea to consider how players may potentially try and break missions using this like that, heh.
(´・ω・`)
=============================================================

Offline blowfish

• Join the cult of KILL MY ROUTER!!!!!!!!!!1
I agree that it's more consistent with other models... That's what we're trying to avoid, don't you think? We've already got enough of non-flythrought bays on other models.

New and interesting features are always good, but I don't see a fly-through fighter bay as adding much aesthetically or gameplay-wise, beyond 15 seconds of "oh hey look" and then forgetting about it.

Edit: spelling
« Last Edit: December 21, 2013, 09:05:33 pm by blowfish »

Offline fightermedic

• quite a nice guy, no really, i am
i like where this is going!
keep up all the good modeling work
>>Fully functional cockpits for Freespace<<
>>Ships created by me<<
Campaigns revised/voice-acted by me:
Lightning Marshal 1-4, The Regulus Campaign, Operation: Savior, Operation: Crucible, Titan Rebellion, Fall of Epsilon Pegasi 1.1Aftermath 2.1,
Pandora's Box 2.2, Deep Blood

Other Campaigns I have participated in:
The Antagonist, Warzone, Phantoms & Echo-Gate

All the stuff I release is free to use or change in any way for everybody who likes to do so; take whatever you need

Offline Nyctaeus

• The Slavic Engineer
  • My "FS Ships" folder is 582gb.
    • Minecraft
    • Exile
It's awesome! Keep on rollin' :D
Exile | Shadow Genesis | Inferno | Series Resurrecta  | DA Profile | P3D Profile

Proud owner of NyctiShipyards. Remember - Nyx will fix it!

All of my assets including models, textures, skyboxes, effects may be used under standard CC BY-NC 4.0 license.

http://p3d.in/qpQj2 What do you guys think about this engine pattern?

Offline DahBlount

• Alpine ☆ Cancer Tribulation
    • Minecraft
Looks good! However I would like to know what happened to the bridge.
<Axem> yet still more insightful than #hard-light

<Axem> jad2.23 will just be cat videos

<DahBlount> So
<DahBlount> JAD2.2 is like that
<Axem> maybe
<Axem> it can be whatever you like!
<DahBlount> A Chocolate Sundae?
<Axem> sure

My models: GTF Gilgamesh - GTD Nuadha [Redesigning] - Ningirama [WIP] - GTG Zephyrus