Author Topic: [EXILE ASSET RELEASE] - SCv Scylla HTL  (Read 17399 times)

Offline Nyctaeus

• The Slavic Engineer
  • My "FS Ships" folder is 582gb.
    • Minecraft
    • Exile
[EXILE ASSET RELEASE] - SCv Scylla HTL

I said... And I did what I said. Hi-poly "reincarnation" of well known SCv Scylla corvette straight to your hands :)

>>>DOWNLOAD<<<

Including:
- Two versions of SCv Scylla: Version from Mystery Project with more turrets and 3 spinal medium beams and destroyable navigation subsystem, and requested drag-and-drop replacement for Scylla in Inferno R1. This one might not be compatible with Scylla used in Project Outreach and Tides of Darkness.
- Hi-res textures
- Medium shivan beam
- Some test mission

Special thanks to:
- The Dagger - For help with baking the texture
- Col.Hornet - Table and suggestions
- Original autor - I have no idea who made low-poly Scylla, but he was great!
- FreeSpaceKing - Parts of textures.

May I ask some Wiki Contributor to do his magic? :D

______________________________OLD POST______________________________
I was working on TFg Vengeance, but in my current situation, I realised that this might be a better choice for now... So status of the Vengeance is "frozen", but not abandoned.

I realised something more - I need some new skills. After studing HTL Akrotiri and models of some of our senior modelers, I modeled my first shivan ship. Ladies and gentelmens, the Scylla:
scylla (View in 3D)

Obviously a WiP and I think I can turn it into some real beauty. I just need some advices from you, guys.
- Firstly: Eye of some senior modeler with experiance with shivan ships to give this noob [me :D] some advices about modelling alien ships.
- Secondly: What details do you want to see on HTL Scylla? I never modeled anything shivan before and TBH I have no idea for details.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2016, 12:54:44 pm by Betrayal »
Exile | Shadow Genesis | Inferno | Series Resurrecta  | DA Profile | P3D Profile

Proud owner of NyctiShipyards. Remember - Nyx will fix it!

All of my assets including models, textures, skyboxes, effects may be used under standard CC BY-NC 4.0 license.

Re: Looking for advice... [Scylla HTL]
Someone's HTLing my favorite Shivan Corvette? Hell yes  :yes: So far, its looking awesome with all that smoothness!

The main detail I could think of for suggestion currently is the engine section. I always pictured in a high-poly version that it would be take after the Moloch or the Rakshasa to an extent. Perhaps looking to them for the other details might help, though also, the front is a bit reminiscent of the Ravana so can't exclude her.

That's my two cents worth. Looking forward to seeing what love you can give the old gal.  :D
Previous Projects: Ancient-Shivan War | GTF Durandal

Current Projects: Exile: Into The Dark Waters (Proof-editing/misc)

Offline Droid803

• Trusted poster of legit stuff
  • /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕ 人\ Do you want to be a Magical Girl?
I think it shares the most charactersitics with the Sathanas more than anything. (it's like, a 3-armed sath head with two 'bodies' stuck together behind it and then an engine block)
Maybe you could look at the HTL sath for inspiration on how to detail the Scylla from there?
(´・ω・`)
=============================================================

Offline Nyctaeus

• The Slavic Engineer
    • Minecraft
    • Exile
I added some details, and I will show some progress soon [mostly inspirated by Moloch and Rakshasa]. To be honest, I never liked some details like launch tubes of RGA's Sath, while Bobb's one is mostly smoothness so there is no inspiration here. I will post some updates when I finish Moloch-inspired armor plating.

Edit: Added some things and updated p3d link. Lines in armor plates were supposed to be places, where armor is divided onto smaller parts but after all, they will be cables of somekind and will glow. Also I must spend some time on shading and smoothing.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2014, 09:28:51 am by Betrayal »
Exile | Shadow Genesis | Inferno | Series Resurrecta  | DA Profile | P3D Profile

All of my assets including models, textures, skyboxes, effects may be used under standard CC BY-NC 4.0 license.

Offline Aardwolf

• Minecraft
It looks like you're confining yourself very strictly to the original mesh's geometry. That is, a lot of the edges of the original are unbroken. Maybe try changing that?

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
No, Scylla is a very nice design, and it needs a proper HTL, not another re-imagining. I say, I like the direction in which it's going.

Offline Hades

• FINISHING MODELS IS OVERRATED
  • i wonder when my polycounts will exceed my iq
It looks like you're confining yourself very strictly to the original mesh's geometry. That is, a lot of the edges of the original are unbroken. Maybe try changing that?
I agree. The Cain is a good example, it breaks up the lines and changes a shape but in a way that the ship as a whole benefits from it. Currently, most of the detail on the ship looks like... tiling, which doesn't need to be modeled in, not does it benefit areas that need lines broken up - like the arms, and it doesn't really flow well with the shape.
[22:29] <sigtau> Hello, #hard-light?  I'm trying to tell a girl she looks really good for someone who doesn't exercise.  How do I word that non-offensively?
[22:29] <RangerKarl|AtWork> "you look like a big tasty muffin"
----
<batwota> wouldn’t that mean that it’s prepared to kiss your ass if you flank it :p
<batwota> wow
<batwota> KILL

No, Scylla is a very nice design, and it needs a proper HTL, not another re-imagining. I say, I like the direction in which it's going.

Seconded. The direction its going in is amazing! Very impressive thus far, Betrayal.
Previous Projects: Ancient-Shivan War | GTF Durandal

Current Projects: Exile: Into The Dark Waters (Proof-editing/misc)

Offline Nyctaeus

• The Slavic Engineer
    • Minecraft
    • Exile
I really like old-school HTL models, without changing basic shape of the model. Scylla is one of the most known fan-made shivan ships. When I'm redoing something like this, I try to catch original feel of the ship as much as possible. The only thing that's changed is turret setup. She will be armed with 3 spinal MReds on the biggest spikes, instead of LRed and 4 SReds. Eye-like thing on the front of the ship will be destroyable subsystem, probably navigation.

As for my modeling/greebling/detailing skills, I know my details are kinda repetitious. I'm n00b in training. Sooner or later I will get how to make better details, especialy when I'm working on shivan model. Till than, I'm doing my best :P.

BTW. Another update - multi-level armor plating added on the top parts of the ship. I need some ideas for the bottom parts.

Offline Trivial Psychic

• Snoop Junkie
Re: [WIP] SCv Scylla HTL
My I suggest that you consider making one version that matches the turret layout of the original, allowing it to be a drop-in replacement for any campaigns using the original?
The Trivial Psychic Strikes Again!

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
Seconded. As it was, for a long time, the only decent user-made Shivan corvette around, it's used in quite a few places.

Offline Nyctaeus

• The Slavic Engineer
    • Minecraft
    • Exile
My I suggest that you consider making one version that matches the turret layout of the original, allowing it to be a drop-in replacement for any campaigns using the original?
I'm afraid the geometry of my Scylla won't help me with that. There is destroyable navigation subsystem instead of main beam. and every spike is equipped with the turret. Even if I set nevigation submodel as a main beam, original Scylla don't have turrets on her arms and her table won't match to my model. I can always leave these turrets empty in tables, or do something else. Hmmm... Ok. I will figure it out.

BTW. Another update - moar pipes!

Offline fightermedic

• quite a nice guy, no really, i am
nice stuff man, keep it up
>>Fully functional cockpits for Freespace<<
>>Ships created by me<<
Campaigns revised/voice-acted by me:
Lightning Marshal 1-4, The Regulus Campaign, Operation: Savior, Operation: Crucible, Titan Rebellion, Fall of Epsilon Pegasi 1.1Aftermath 2.1,
Pandora's Box 2.2, Deep Blood

Other Campaigns I have participated in:
The Antagonist, Warzone, Phantoms & Echo-Gate

All the stuff I release is free to use or change in any way for everybody who likes to do so; take whatever you need

Offline NeonShivan

• Previously known as BTA
  • By the Omnisiah's grace.
I must say, considering what people have said about the Scyllia I'm surprised anyone has decided to give it a facelift. This is wonderful! Simply wonderful! It now looks like it would cause even the strongest of willed ship captains to release their bowels upon seeing this ship. In it's current stage atm I think it looks perfectly fine and imo doesn't need any more changes for it stays true to the Shivan architecture of giant death black bug ships of absolute destruction. Keep it up! :D
In German even the most beautiful love letter sounds like an execution order -Mito

(•_•)
 <)  )/
 /  \ All the Single Ladies

( •_•)
\(  (>

(•_•)
 <)  )/
 /  \  Oh Oh Oh

Author of Dusk Wars - A modification for Freespace 2.

Offline Nyctaeus

• The Slavic Engineer
    • Minecraft
    • Exile
It's quite fun, to work on old models. Despite the fact, that you have to basicly remodel everything, I feel respect to model I'm working on. I need much more practice. There are a lot of old designs which deserved for some refresh, and a lot of them comes from INFR1. I will pick up somethinf when I finish and release the Scylla and I'm open for suggestions if someone wants something HTLed :).

As for the model itself, just a few places left to be detailed and than I start texturing. I think 25-30k verts is enough for the ship of this size and my skills.

Offline The Dagger

• I like zod ships
Your model is looking pretty good but maybe you can take some inspiration from the HTL Vidyadhar for the top frontal claws? I really love the way the claws flow in that model.

Offline Nyctaeus

• The Slavic Engineer
    • Minecraft
    • Exile
Re: [RELEASE] SCv Scylla HTL
:bump:

Now I'm waiting to see my baby in some campaigns :], Enjoy!

Offline Droid803

• Trusted poster of legit stuff
  • /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕ 人\ Do you want to be a Magical Girl?
Looks great!
(´・ω・`)
=============================================================

Offline NeonShivan

• Previously known as BTA
  • By the Omnisiah's grace.
My god...this is amazing!

:bump:

Now I'm waiting to see my baby in some campaigns :], Enjoy!

Hey look, my Scyllia now has a replacement >.>
In German even the most beautiful love letter sounds like an execution order -Mito

(•_•)
 <)  )/

( •_•)
\(  (>

(•_•)
 <)  )/
 /  \  Oh Oh Oh

Author of Dusk Wars - A modification for Freespace 2.

Offline Black Wolf

• Twisted Infinities
  • Hey! You! Get off-a my cloud!
    • Visit the TI homepage!
This is awesome. :D Highlit.
TWISTED INFINITIES · SECTORGAME· FRONTLINES
Rarely Updated P3D.
Burn the heretic who killed F2S! Burn him, burn him!!- GalEmp