Author Topic: Star Fox: Event Horizon for FSO  (Read 177367 times)

Re: Star Fox: Event Horizon for FSO
Have you tried using trigger count instead of repeat count?

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• The Cthulhu programmer himself!
    • Twitter
A "when" with a trigger count is definitely what you want... what's that bunch-of-9s argument? Isn't that "how recently was it fired"?
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Codethulhu GitHub wgah'nagl fhtagn.

schrödinbug (noun) - a bug that manifests itself in running software after a programmer notices that the code should never have worked in the first place.

When you gaze long into BMPMAN, BMPMAN also gazes into you.

"I am one of the best FREDders on Earth" -General Battuta

<Aesaar> literary criticism is vladimir putin

<MageKing17> "There's probably a reason the code is the way it is" is a very dangerous line of thought. :P
<MageKing17> Because the "reason" often turns out to be "nobody noticed it was wrong".
(the very next day)
<MageKing17> this ****ing code did it to me again
<MageKing17> "That doesn't really make sense to me, but I'll assume it was being done for a reason."
<MageKing17> **** ME
<MageKing17> THE REASON IS PEOPLE ARE STUPID
<MageKing17> ESPECIALLY ME

<MageKing17> God damn, I do not understand how this is breaking.
<MageKing17> Everything points to "this should work fine", and yet it's clearly not working.
<MjnMixael> 2 hours later... "God damn, how did this ever work at all?!"
(...)
<MageKing17> so
<MageKing17> more than two hours
<MageKing17> but once again we have reached the inevitable conclusion
<MageKing17> How did this code ever work in the first place!?

<@The_E> Welcome to OpenGL, where standards compliance is optional, and error reporting inconsistent

<MageKing17> It was all working perfectly until I actually tried it on an actual mission.

<IronWorks> I am useful for FSO stuff again. This is a red-letter day!
* z64555 erases "Thursday" and rewrites it in red ink

<MageKing17> TIL the entire homing code is held up by shoestrings and duct tape, basically.

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
I always preferred the look of venom capital ships.

I think Lucy just turned me furry.
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

Offline UndyingNephalim

Several random questions:

1) Is there a step by step list or guide of how to make a mod standalone? I'd like to release a demo pretty soon without users needing Freespace 2.
2) I've heard that it was possible to apply visual filters over the entire screen while in game, is there a tutorial on how to do that? I'd like to create an underwater filter for an Aquas level.
3) Is there any info on what size the animations for the Intelligence section of the Techroom has to be? Is it limited to the .ani format?

Offline niffiwan

• Eluder Class
For 1, I don't know of any currently documented list of steps.  I think you'd need to
1) move your current mod folder out of your Freespace folder
2) remove the mod.ini
3) copy a fs2_open .exe into the folder
4) set your launcher to point to the base dir

The (very) large piece of work would then be to replace all the interface artwork, effects, sounds, icons (etc) that you're probably currently using from Freespace2. For interface artwork, this would be useful. I'm not sure about everything else, maybe just running FSO in debug mode in your new standalone folder will at least identify all the missing files. Maybe some of the Diaspora team or Eiswolf (Aerotech TC) could offer more suggestions, as they're the two most recently released total conversions that I know of.

On 2 - sorry, I can't help with this one. if I had to guess I'd say post processing, or some shaders trickery?

For 3, I think there's a fixed size, looking at Freespace2 ones should give that to you.  I think that techroom intel entries support EFF animations as well as .ani, but I haven't personally tested that.

Hope this helps.
Creating a fs2_open.log | Red Alert Bug = Hex Edit | MediaVPs 2014: Bigger HUD gauges | 32bit libs for 64bit Ubuntu
----
Debian Packages (testing/unstable): Freespace2 | wxLauncher
----
m|m: I think I'm suffering from Stockholm syndrome. Bmpman is starting to make sense and it's actually written reasonably well...

Offline Lepanto

• Believes in Truth
Very nice-looking project. How much of your assets did you pick up from Shadows of Lylat, and how much is your own work?

Are you planning to release this demo somewhere else besides HLP? Otherwise, making it standalone doesn't seem to be worth the effort.
"We have now reached the point where every goon with a grievance, every bitter bigot, merely has to place the prefix, 'I know this is not politically correct, but...' in front of the usual string of insults in order to be not just safe from criticism, but actually a card, a lad, even a hero. Conversely, to talk about poverty and inequality, to draw attention to the reality that discrimination and injustice are still facts of life, is to commit the sin of political correctness. Anti-PC has become the latest cover for creeps. It is a godsend for every curmudgeon and crank, from fascists to the merely smug."
Finian O'Toole, The Irish Times, 5 May 1994

Blue Planet: The Battle Captains: Missions starring the Admirals of BP: WiH
Frontlines 2334+2335: T-V War campaign
GVB Ammit: Vasudan strike bomber
Player-Controlled Capship Modding Tutorial

Offline procdrone

• Formerly TheHound
  • Balance breaker! Thats me!
    • Steam
About your second Question. There is a special SEXP for that. It is found like: Change->Special Effects->set-post-effect.

This SEXP uses all effects defined in the effects.tbl, so it is easy to just add your own effects there, and use them in fred.

Yes, command intel animation supports the .eff format... it is very easy to do - just get your animation frame by frame, name them in proper way (you have to name them specifically for it to work... something like "youanim_0000.fileformat"), and make text file with .eff extension:

$Type: PNG
$Frames: 1
$FPS: 1

Frames, are the image count for your anim, so literary number of files, counting from one. Remember that your images must count from 0.
FPS is self expeditionary

--Did it! It's RELEASED! VeniceMirror Thread--

Offline UndyingNephalim

The (very) large piece of work would then be to replace all the interface artwork, effects, sounds, icons (etc) that you're probably currently using from Freespace2. For interface artwork, this would be useful.
Is there any way to extract all the other non interface files from Freespace 2 such as sounds and tables? All the Freespace 2 folders are completely empty.

Very nice-looking project. How much of your assets did you pick up from Shadows of Lylat, and how much is your own work?
I would say at least 25% of the models were from Shadows of Lylat. Things like the Harlock, Arwing X-03, Cornerian Fighters and handful of Venomian fighters.

Are you planning to release this demo somewhere else besides HLP? Otherwise, making it standalone doesn't seem to be worth the effort.
I am releasing it elsewhere.

Offline niffiwan

• Eluder Class
The (very) large piece of work would then be to replace all the interface artwork, effects, sounds, icons (etc) that you're probably currently using from Freespace2. For interface artwork, this would be useful.
Is there any way to extract all the other non interface files from Freespace 2 such as sounds and tables? All the Freespace 2 folders are completely empty.

Everything is in the *.vp files, you need to grab a VP extraction program to ... extract the files.  Here's a list: http://www.hard-light.net/wiki/index.php/VP; I'd suggest starting with VPGUI.  The tables will be in root_fs2.vp, I think the sounds are spread across many, including sparky_fs2.vp,  sparky_hi_fs2.vp  stu_fs2.vp and warble_fs2.vp.
Creating a fs2_open.log | Red Alert Bug = Hex Edit | MediaVPs 2014: Bigger HUD gauges | 32bit libs for 64bit Ubuntu
----
----
m|m: I think I'm suffering from Stockholm syndrome. Bmpman is starting to make sense and it's actually written reasonably well...

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• The Cthulhu programmer himself!
    • Twitter

Everything is in the *.vp files, you need to grab a VP extraction program to ... extract the files.  Here's a list: http://www.hard-light.net/wiki/index.php/VP; I'd suggest starting with VPGUI.  The tables will be in root_fs2.vp, I think the sounds are spread across many, including sparky_fs2.vp,  sparky_hi_fs2.vp  stu_fs2.vp and warble_fs2.vp.
sparky_hi_fs2.vp is the 1024x768 interface artwork (no sound effects there), stu_fs2.vp is all voices (although I'm not sure if there are any hardcoded voice references), and warble_fs2.vp is music.
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Codethulhu GitHub wgah'nagl fhtagn.

schrödinbug (noun) - a bug that manifests itself in running software after a programmer notices that the code should never have worked in the first place.

When you gaze long into BMPMAN, BMPMAN also gazes into you.

"I am one of the best FREDders on Earth" -General Battuta

<Aesaar> literary criticism is vladimir putin

<MageKing17> "There's probably a reason the code is the way it is" is a very dangerous line of thought. :P
<MageKing17> Because the "reason" often turns out to be "nobody noticed it was wrong".
(the very next day)
<MageKing17> this ****ing code did it to me again
<MageKing17> "That doesn't really make sense to me, but I'll assume it was being done for a reason."
<MageKing17> **** ME
<MageKing17> THE REASON IS PEOPLE ARE STUPID
<MageKing17> ESPECIALLY ME

<MageKing17> God damn, I do not understand how this is breaking.
<MageKing17> Everything points to "this should work fine", and yet it's clearly not working.
<MjnMixael> 2 hours later... "God damn, how did this ever work at all?!"
(...)
<MageKing17> so
<MageKing17> more than two hours
<MageKing17> but once again we have reached the inevitable conclusion
<MageKing17> How did this code ever work in the first place!?

<@The_E> Welcome to OpenGL, where standards compliance is optional, and error reporting inconsistent

<MageKing17> It was all working perfectly until I actually tried it on an actual mission.

<IronWorks> I am useful for FSO stuff again. This is a red-letter day!
* z64555 erases "Thursday" and rewrites it in red ink

<MageKing17> TIL the entire homing code is held up by shoestrings and duct tape, basically.

Offline UndyingNephalim

The Blue Marine

Offline Ulala

• Groooove Evening, viewers!
Looks awesome! I'm really looking forward to your demo. :yes:
I am a revolutionary.

Offline UndyingNephalim

Looks awesome! I'm really looking forward to your demo. :yes:

I'm getting it ready now, just finishing up the techroom entries for weapons and then making the game standalone. Hopefully I'll have something up in the next week or so.

Offline SypheDMar

• Student, Volunteer, Savior
    • Minecraft
I'm pretty excited for the Pleiades. That was about the only thing good from vanilla Brawl.

Offline UndyingNephalim

More Random Questions:

1. Is there a way for pilot and squadron icons to be animated .effs instead of .pcx files like other techroom images? It seems nothing but .pcx files work for pilot images.
2. Is there any way for FRED2 to recognize what pilot and squadron icons a player has chosen for their multiplayer profile?

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
Not actually sure mate.

Can't recall seeing this anywhere before. Axem, Karajorna and the E would be the ones to answer that more accurately.
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....

Offline niffiwan

• Eluder Class
From what I know, neither is current possible in FSO. They'd both need code changes.
----
----

Offline UndyingNephalim

Well I've managed to make the mod standalone.... except for one problem.

I need it to somehow read this line from the mod.ini file I had to delete:

Code: [Select]
[multimod]
secondarylist = mediavps_3612;

Otheriwise it crashes at the debriefing screen. I tried putting this line in the Settings.ini file, but still the same problem. Is there a way to get the game to read the mod.ini file while also being standalone?

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
Can you post your debug log?
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine

Secret bomb God.

Offline niffiwan

• Eluder Class
Is there a way to get the game to read the mod.ini file while also being standalone?

No, the mod.ini is designed for mods only.  I think here you'll need to extract the assets you're using from mediavps_3612 into your standalone data/(etc) directories.
----
----