Author Topic: Star Fox: Event Horizon for FSO  (Read 177376 times)

Offline niffiwan

• Eluder Class
Re: Star Fox: Event Horizon for FSO
The sentry turret weapons are just standard primaries, like the Subach HL-7 attached to this sentry gun. (i.e. X-wing / TIE Fighter style "mines")
I meant to specify a weapon that actually deploys the turrets from your craft, not the weapon the turret itself uses.

Ah - sorry, I misunderstood you.  I don't believe there's currently any builtin way for a craft to spawn a mine-style object. It would need to be done with something like scripting, or fancy SEXP work.

Another question, are cloaking devices possible in Freespace 2? It seems like they are just a special effect you can set in FRED, not an actual ability.

Again, I don't think visual cloaking (as opposed to sensor stealth) is builtin to the engine.  I know that Wing Commander Saga adding cloaking for the Kilrathi stealth fighters but I don't know what mechanism they used to achieve this.
Creating a fs2_open.log | Red Alert Bug = Hex Edit | MediaVPs 2014: Bigger HUD gauges | 32bit libs for 64bit Ubuntu
----
Debian Packages (testing/unstable): Freespace2 | wxLauncher
----
m|m: I think I'm suffering from Stockholm syndrome. Bmpman is starting to make sense and it's actually written reasonably well...

Offline CKid

Dimensional Eclipse uses visual cloaking on their Yukikaze fighters. Mjn.Mixael made the cloaking effect for it. (At least, that is what the Wiki says.)
If I agreed with you, we would both be wrong

Offline Axem

Nah, we have visual cloaking these days. That's done through the ship-effect sexp, type is Cloaking. If you don't have it as a selectable thing, you might need to copy some post_processing.tbl settings from the mediavps.

Offline Droid803

• Trusted poster of legit stuff
  • /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕ 人\ Do you want to be a Magical Girl?
There's two ways to go about it.
The easy way is the post-processing effect.
The "hard" way is via change-ship-class and animated textures (which is what you did before post-processing). It takes ship slots and texture slots, but you can get some different effects without writing shaders or whatever it'd take to customize the post-processing-based cloak effect.
(´・ω・`)
=============================================================

Offline UndyingNephalim

Awesome I'll look into Cloaking then, I didn't realize the post processing effect actually caused enemy weapons to not be able to get a lock.

Another random question...

Is there a way to make it so the camera can zoom further in while in 3rd person view? It's really annoying playing as Capital ships because the camera is zoomed out so far, and while I can zoom in somewhat with the + and - keys it's not nearly enough. It's made even worse when I used afterburners, it zooms the ship out further and won't let me zoom in to the starting veiw.

Offline Axem

Well the post proc effect is only visual, you'll need to set a stealth flag for the ship so weapons won't target it.

Offline niffiwan

• Eluder Class
Is there a way to make it so the camera can zoom further in while in 3rd person view? It's really annoying playing as Capital ships because the camera is zoomed out so far, and while I can zoom in somewhat with the + and - keys it's not nearly enough. It's made even worse when I used afterburners, it zooms the ship out further and won't let me zoom in to the starting veiw.

Sorry, no  :( (I hate that I have to keep saying that)

IIRC the camera view distance is based on the model's radius value.  This can be manually changed using PCS2.  However it will have some knock-on effects with things like AI guard distance, shockwave damage, and maybe collision detection.  Anyway, the desire to manually set the view distance has been mentioned before (for capship command missions) so this would be a good candidate for a new feature to be added to FSO.  I don't imagine that It would be very hard to add either, just need to find a coder with some spare time (I'd like to have a look myself but I already have a long list of stuff to work on...)
Creating a fs2_open.log | Red Alert Bug = Hex Edit | MediaVPs 2014: Bigger HUD gauges | 32bit libs for 64bit Ubuntu
----
Debian Packages (testing/unstable): Freespace2 | wxLauncher
----
m|m: I think I'm suffering from Stockholm syndrome. Bmpman is starting to make sense and it's actually written reasonably well...

Offline UndyingNephalim

Two more playable characters and craft revealed:

Offline zookeeper

• *knock knock* Who's there? Poe. Poe who?
It's worth noting that the cloaking effect is not a post processing effect even if the tabling entries are in post_processing.tbl. For example, one doesn't need to enable post processing to see it.

Offline Nyctaeus

• The Slavic Engineer
  • My "FS Ships" folder is 582gb.
    • Minecraft
    • Exile
Do I see Protoss artillery cannon from SC2? :P

Great work!
Exile | Shadow Genesis | Inferno | Series Resurrecta  | DA Profile | P3D Profile

Proud owner of NyctiShipyards. Remember - Nyx will fix it!

All of my assets including models, textures, skyboxes, effects may be used under standard CC BY-NC 4.0 license.

Offline UndyingNephalim

Some more random questions:

1) How exactly do countermeasures work? I've tried giving my craft the Type One Countermeasure but it seems to do absolutely nothing. Are the countermeasures supposed to fire on incoming missiles automatically? Does the player have to fire countermeasures themselves?

2) Is a Tractor Beam type weapon possible? I've managed to create a black hole sort of weapon that sucks ships in, but nothing that holds them in place.

EDIT
3) Does anyone know where the deploy Sentry Turret script can be found? I keep hearing about it all the time yet I can't seem to find it anywhere on these forums or the wiki.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2014, 02:07:09 am by UndyingNephalim »

Offline UndyingNephalim

Nobody has anything? I've sort of hit a wall here.  :lol:
« Last Edit: August 30, 2014, 03:29:09 pm by UndyingNephalim »

Offline Droid803

• Trusted poster of legit stuff
  • /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕ 人\ Do you want to be a Magical Girl?
press...x to launch countermeasures...yes you have to manually launch them

not to my knowledge i don't think you can make something pull along the beam

no clue, never heard of it
(´・ω・`)
=============================================================

Offline Aardwolf

• Minecraft
Easiest to do with scripting. You can have a script that runs when the weapon hits the ship, and changes the hit object's velocity any way you want. (It's smarter to change the velocity than changing the position directly, since that can break collision detection.)

Offline z64555

• Self-proclaimed controls expert
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
Sigh, guys. He said he already figured out the Push/Pull mechanics (It's basically a Morning Star with a negative mass value) but he's looking for something that'll lock up your flight controls for the duration the craft is in the Area of Effect.

Coincidentally, Scripting is your best bet at the moment. You might be able to concoct something that will 1. Determine that a ship has been hit with the tractor beam 2. Effectively reduce the ship's rotational and translational rates by some significant factor.

UndyingNephalim: Countermeasures in FSO are triggered manually, and act like the "Chaff" type in Star Wars: X-Wing Alliance but with a greater chance of luring warheads from a larger distance away (as opposed to disarming only the warheads that come into contact with the chaff)

There was actually some additions to the countermeasures not too long ago, the topic may be still floating around in the scp subforums.
Secure the Source, Contain the Code, Protect the Project
chief1983

------------
funtapaz: Hunchon University biologists prove mankind is evolving to new, higher form of life, known as Homopithecus Juche.
z64555: s/J/Do
BotenAlfred: <funtapaz> Hunchon University biologists prove mankind is evolving to new, higher form of life, known as Homopithecus Douche.

Offline UndyingNephalim

Easiest to do with scripting. You can have a script that runs when the weapon hits the ship, and changes the hit object's velocity any way you want. (It's smarter to change the velocity than changing the position directly, since that can break collision detection.)

That method seems to be working. Very nice solution.

In addition to the Sentry Turret, are there any sexp scripts that can allow me to transform a ship between two modes? I'm using change-ship-class, however if I set the Repeat or Trigger count of the event higher than 1, the ship constantly tries to transform and will not let me transform back to the previous state through another event (essentially getting stuck in an infinite look that never ends). Alternately, not setting a Repeat or Trigger Count higher than one only lets me use the transformation once. There seems to be absolutely no way to have a trigger fire off only once, set all its conditions back to false so the specific triggers have to be triggered again. Instead it seems events are either always false, or once triggered once are forever true after that and can't be reset to false. It's really annoying... is there any way around this?

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• The Cthulhu programmer himself!
    • Twitter
Use trigger count (not repeat count; usually, the behavior you're going to expect is handled by trigger count) and have it activate when a variable is non-zero (and set it back to 0 as its first action).
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Codethulhu GitHub wgah'nagl fhtagn.

schrödinbug (noun) - a bug that manifests itself in running software after a programmer notices that the code should never have worked in the first place.

When you gaze long into BMPMAN, BMPMAN also gazes into you.

"I am one of the best FREDders on Earth" -General Battuta

<Aesaar> literary criticism is vladimir putin

<MageKing17> "There's probably a reason the code is the way it is" is a very dangerous line of thought. :P
<MageKing17> Because the "reason" often turns out to be "nobody noticed it was wrong".
(the very next day)
<MageKing17> this ****ing code did it to me again
<MageKing17> "That doesn't really make sense to me, but I'll assume it was being done for a reason."
<MageKing17> **** ME
<MageKing17> THE REASON IS PEOPLE ARE STUPID
<MageKing17> ESPECIALLY ME

<MageKing17> God damn, I do not understand how this is breaking.
<MageKing17> Everything points to "this should work fine", and yet it's clearly not working.
<MjnMixael> 2 hours later... "God damn, how did this ever work at all?!"
(...)
<MageKing17> so
<MageKing17> more than two hours
<MageKing17> but once again we have reached the inevitable conclusion
<MageKing17> How did this code ever work in the first place!?

<@The_E> Welcome to OpenGL, where standards compliance is optional, and error reporting inconsistent

<MageKing17> It was all working perfectly until I actually tried it on an actual mission.

<IronWorks> I am useful for FSO stuff again. This is a red-letter day!
* z64555 erases "Thursday" and rewrites it in red ink

<MageKing17> TIL the entire homing code is held up by shoestrings and duct tape, basically.

Offline Herra Tohtori

• The Academic
  • Bad command or file name
Would the scripting solution disrupt collision detection? I seem to recall that being the biggest disadvantage to scripted Newtonian mechanics some several years ago...

I would think using Morningstar's code as basis, you could expand it so that the velocity change imparted by the projectile would dynamically depend on the relative velocity between the craft, and self-adjust so as to always reduce the relative velocity - not just radial velocity, but angular velocity as well. I just have no idea how practical a change like this would be to code.

If it should be an area effect weapon rather than a primary point-and-shoot weapon, then... I dunno. :confused:
There are three things that last forever: Abort, Retry, Fail - and the greatest of these is Fail.

Offline UndyingNephalim

Use trigger count (not repeat count; usually, the behavior you're going to expect is handled by trigger count) and have it activate when a variable is non-zero (and set it back to 0 as its first action).

The same problem happens, it just gets stuck in a loop forever cycling between the two modes. Here's my script in FRED2 I'm probably just doing something wrong:

Code: [Select]
---Deploy into Turret Mode---
every-time
and
    key-pressed
              Left Ctrl
            is-ship-class
              Aqua Vitae
                Fox 1
            is-primary-selected
                Fox 1
            string-equals
                TurretMode(0)
        key-reset
            Left Ctrl (apparently this one doesnt work in repeat or trigger events)
        change-ship-class
            Aqua Vitae Turret Mode
            Fox 1
        modify-variable
            TurretMode(0)

---Pack into Ship Mode---
every-time
and
    key-pressed
              Left Ctrl
            is-ship-class
              Aqua Vitae Turret Mode
                Fox 1
            is-primary-selected
                Fox 1
            string-equals
                TurretMode(0)
        key-reset
            Left Ctrl
        change-ship-class
            Aqua Vitae
            Fox 1
        modify-variable
            TurretMode(0)

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• The Cthulhu programmer himself!
    • Twitter
It does work, but you may need more layers of indirection between detecting the keypress and triggering the transformation. The event logic for Her Finest Hour (from Blue Planet: War in Heaven) might help, since it relies on repeatable keypresses...
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Codethulhu GitHub wgah'nagl fhtagn.

schrödinbug (noun) - a bug that manifests itself in running software after a programmer notices that the code should never have worked in the first place.

When you gaze long into BMPMAN, BMPMAN also gazes into you.

"I am one of the best FREDders on Earth" -General Battuta

<Aesaar> literary criticism is vladimir putin

<MageKing17> "There's probably a reason the code is the way it is" is a very dangerous line of thought. :P
<MageKing17> Because the "reason" often turns out to be "nobody noticed it was wrong".
(the very next day)
<MageKing17> this ****ing code did it to me again
<MageKing17> "That doesn't really make sense to me, but I'll assume it was being done for a reason."
<MageKing17> **** ME
<MageKing17> THE REASON IS PEOPLE ARE STUPID
<MageKing17> ESPECIALLY ME

<MageKing17> God damn, I do not understand how this is breaking.
<MageKing17> Everything points to "this should work fine", and yet it's clearly not working.
<MjnMixael> 2 hours later... "God damn, how did this ever work at all?!"
(...)
<MageKing17> so
<MageKing17> more than two hours
<MageKing17> but once again we have reached the inevitable conclusion
<MageKing17> How did this code ever work in the first place!?

<@The_E> Welcome to OpenGL, where standards compliance is optional, and error reporting inconsistent

<MageKing17> It was all working perfectly until I actually tried it on an actual mission.

<IronWorks> I am useful for FSO stuff again. This is a red-letter day!
* z64555 erases "Thursday" and rewrites it in red ink

<MageKing17> TIL the entire homing code is held up by shoestrings and duct tape, basically.