Author Topic: Simple model request for testing  (Read 4313 times)

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Re: Simple model request for testing
Talon, can you post the model you used to create the POF?

Offline Talon 1024

• How do you turn this on?
    • Mods, Games, and Stuff
To understand religion, you need to understand morality first. | WCSaga website | WCSaga Forum | 158th website | 158th forum | Project Leader: WC: Hostile Frontier | WCHF Thread at CIC | Wing Blender | Twist of Fate | Multipart turrets on angled surfaces, tutorial included. | My Google Drive stuff | To convert speeds from WC to WCS, multiply both the cruise speed and the Afterburner speed by 0.15625 (5/32)

FS2 Mods I'm waiting on: Inferno 10th Anniversary
Current Project: Contestant Android app, Learn4Life iOS app, Blender Commander (importer).
The FreeSpace Font Foundry is back in action!

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Thanks.  Vasudan Admiral may be able to use it to adjust the orientations, depending on what we need to test next.

Offline Talon 1024

• How do you turn this on?
    • Mods, Games, and Stuff
I'd like to learn how to change the axes of a submodel in Blender myself.

According to this blog post, the equivalent of Reset XForm in Blender is Apply Location/Scale/Rotation/etc.
Quote from: visualfxmonk
15) ResetXForm. In 3ds max, to reset an objects transformation, you access the utilities panel and click on Reset XForm button. This will reset all transformations. In Blender, you have the choice of resetting only a certain type of transformation. Go to Object>Apply>Then choose the type of transformation you want to reset.

However, I think doing this just rotates the shape and sets its axes to be the same as the world axes.

Before applying rotation:

After applying rotation:
To understand religion, you need to understand morality first. | WCSaga website | WCSaga Forum | 158th website | 158th forum | Project Leader: WC: Hostile Frontier | WCHF Thread at CIC | Wing Blender | Twist of Fate | Multipart turrets on angled surfaces, tutorial included. | My Google Drive stuff | To convert speeds from WC to WCS, multiply both the cruise speed and the Afterburner speed by 0.15625 (5/32)

FS2 Mods I'm waiting on: Inferno 10th Anniversary
Current Project: Contestant Android app, Learn4Life iOS app, Blender Commander (importer).
The FreeSpace Font Foundry is back in action!

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Thanks for the update.  I don't know if it's related, but Vasudan Admiral has discovered that there may be a problem in the way FSO treats submodel hierarchies.  He'll be running more testing, and maybe your above post will have some relationship.  Hopefully VA himself will post in this thread. :)

Offline Vasudan Admiral

• Twisted Infinities
Well he could, but that would just take all the mystery out of me wouldn't it? :P

Ok so Talon: You're on the right track with how to do that in Blender. "Ctrl+A -> Apply scale and rotation" with all objects selected. When you export to DAE you want them all to read 0° rotations, and 1.0 in scale. (Otherwise chances are that PCS2 will make them into 0° and 1.0 with no regard for what that does to the model!)
Note: The POF format as far as I can tell, doesn't care at all about subobject rotation. I don't think it even stores it. So however something appears in a POF has no rotation in-game unless that is defined for that subobject, and then the game will handle that.

Anyway so we managed to get the look_at function working...sort of. We found that a lot of the problems I was having were actually due to naming my test model's hydraulic rams things like 'Ram1_A' and the matching 'Ram1_B', all because FSO unhelpfully interpreted them to be different LODs of the same object, which then didn't play nice with the look_at code.

But where it stands now is that if your look_at enabled subobjects are attached to the hull, or attached to another subobject that is attached to the hull, then they will work fine: http://slickpic.us/1092822NDVl

Where it fails is anything further down the hierarchy than that - the further down you go, the more your look_at subobjects will miss their target by. That implies to me it's a cumulative error in the code that runs through the hierarchy to work out where things are in relation to each other.

If people want to have a look themselves, here's a test model with a table and test mission: (Though you'll need Goob's latest builds, which I don't think he's posted here)
http://www.mediafire.com/download/j27ifbegf9q63cr/LookAtTestRod_H.zip

The key "1" extends the 3-segment arm, "2" retracts.
Get the 2014 Media VPs and report any bugs you find in them to the FSU Mantis so that we may squish them. || Blender to POF model conversion guide
Twisted Infinities