Author Topic: Legions Demise: Testers Needed  (Read 6355 times)

Offline DefCynodont119

• Ascended GTSC-Faustus Artist
    • Steam
Legions Demise: Testers Needed
This is my first real post here, sorry for any mistakes.

So anyway, I need a small team of testers for my minicampaign: Legions Demise. It's a two mission reenactment of FS2's opening cutscene. Where you, Roskva 1, are flying alongside the GTI Command ship; The GTD Legion, As it orbits Deneb III. You then find yourself at the forefront of disaster as things begin to go haywire.

I need people to confirm that it doesn't have any major issues/that it's stable before i can continue development. as most/all of the FREDing for the first mission is done.
I just want to make sure it works for other people, because apparently that's not always the case.
Any help will be appreciated, thank you.

If your interested: Post below. then i can send you the link and unzip password.

PS: Thank you for everyone who let me use their assets, and sorry for the first version of this topic post, it was awful. i am a n0ob.

-DefCynodont119
My gift from Freespace to Cities Skylines:  http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=639891299

Offline Black Wolf

• Twisted Infinities
  • Hey! You! Get off-a my cloud!
    • Visit the TI homepage!
Re: Legions Demise: Testers Needed
Bah, if you'd posted this 24 hours earlier, I'd've been able to get straight onto this - as it is, I'm not likely to have time til Friday. If you still need people then, let me know.
TWISTED INFINITIES · SECTORGAME· FRONTLINES
Rarely Updated P3D.
Burn the heretic who killed F2S! Burn him, burn him!!- GalEmp

Offline DefCynodont119

• Steam
Bah, if you'd posted this 24 hours earlier, I'd've been able to get straight onto this - as it is, I'm not likely to have time til Friday. If you still need people then, let me know.

You have no idea how honored i would be if you helped me, whatever time you get id like to know.

Thanks again!

-DefCynodont119
« Last Edit: April 01, 2016, 09:40:02 pm by DefCynodont119 »
My gift from Freespace to Cities Skylines:  http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=639891299

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Sounds cool. I'm also rather busy but if you can't find a playtester, I'd be willing to take a look.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline Lepanto

• Believes in Truth
I could certainly do it.

BTW, ignore woutersmits if he asks to beta-test. TBH, he doesn't know what a good FS campaign looks like.
"We have now reached the point where every goon with a grievance, every bitter bigot, merely has to place the prefix, 'I know this is not politically correct, but...' in front of the usual string of insults in order to be not just safe from criticism, but actually a card, a lad, even a hero. Conversely, to talk about poverty and inequality, to draw attention to the reality that discrimination and injustice are still facts of life, is to commit the sin of political correctness. Anti-PC has become the latest cover for creeps. It is a godsend for every curmudgeon and crank, from fascists to the merely smug."
Finian O'Toole, The Irish Times, 5 May 1994

Blue Planet: The Battle Captains: Missions starring the Admirals of BP: WiH
Frontlines 2334+2335: T-V War campaign
GVB Ammit: Vasudan strike bomber
Player-Controlled Capship Modding Tutorial

Offline DefCynodont119

• Steam
karajorma/BW/lepanto,
Being a long-time lurker of this site, i know you all, [citation needed] and I'm surprised this got your attention, if any of you three have time between now and April 5th, PM me immediately.

i only need minor bugfixing help that i can't figure out. plus it's mostly done FREDing wise, so i need some time to finish writing/briefings after i know that this mod doesn't make your computer explode.

so 2-3 testers max, I'll easily make exceptions however.

After the 5th, my free time goes down significantly. but i will still need testers. so if Black Wolf could PM me next Friday that will work as well.

Once again: Thank you for your support.
-DefCynodont119

Offline DefCynodont119

• Steam
Just a heads up,  this is not dead.  Progress is being made!
           :headz:

Offline procdrone

• Formerly TheHound
  • Balance breaker! Thats me!
    • Steam
Well, you can send the mod my way as well, I can play it, but knowing myself, it will not be as accurate or dedicated mod testing as others will do. But still, might spot a bug or two, or have my own opinion on it.
--Did it! It's RELEASED! VeniceMirror Thread--

Offline DefCynodont119

• Steam
UPDATE

I need someone to help us Identify the cause of a highly complicated CTD Error/Bug:

I am having problems with the Change-Ship-Class SEXP, after making multiple test missions I have confirmed that there are more then one cause for the crash:

1:  targeting a subsystem on the ship as its model changes.  2:  turrets firing as the host model changes.

both these have been prevented by use of destruction of subsystems and stealth, the event in question still has a chance of crashing. The 3rd cause has yet to be determined as no set of conditions that confirms the crash 100% have been found this time, a test mission is pervaded with the mod.

anyone with Log-reading capability, and at least 2/3 hours of freetime is what I need.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Everyone else, here are some Attachments with Screenshots of stuff:

[attachment DELETED!! by Strong Bad]
« Last Edit: June 28, 2016, 01:53:19 pm by DefCynodont119 »

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• The Cthulhu programmer himself!
    • Twitter
Can you provide a test mission to recreate this crash? Preferably one without those workarounds; they shouldn't be necessary in the first place.
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Codethulhu GitHub wgah'nagl fhtagn.

schrödinbug (noun) - a bug that manifests itself in running software after a programmer notices that the code should never have worked in the first place.

When you gaze long into BMPMAN, BMPMAN also gazes into you.

"I am one of the best FREDders on Earth" -General Battuta

<Aesaar> literary criticism is vladimir putin

<MageKing17> "There's probably a reason the code is the way it is" is a very dangerous line of thought. :P
<MageKing17> Because the "reason" often turns out to be "nobody noticed it was wrong".
(the very next day)
<MageKing17> this ****ing code did it to me again
<MageKing17> "That doesn't really make sense to me, but I'll assume it was being done for a reason."
<MageKing17> **** ME
<MageKing17> THE REASON IS PEOPLE ARE STUPID
<MageKing17> ESPECIALLY ME

<MageKing17> God damn, I do not understand how this is breaking.
<MageKing17> Everything points to "this should work fine", and yet it's clearly not working.
<MjnMixael> 2 hours later... "God damn, how did this ever work at all?!"
(...)
<MageKing17> so
<MageKing17> more than two hours
<MageKing17> but once again we have reached the inevitable conclusion
<MageKing17> How did this code ever work in the first place!?

<@The_E> Welcome to OpenGL, where standards compliance is optional, and error reporting inconsistent

<MageKing17> It was all working perfectly until I actually tried it on an actual mission.

<IronWorks> I am useful for FSO stuff again. This is a red-letter day!
* z64555 erases "Thursday" and rewrites it in red ink

<MageKing17> TIL the entire homing code is held up by shoestrings and duct tape, basically.

Offline DefCynodont119

• Steam
Can you provide a test mission to recreate this crash? Preferably one without those workarounds; they shouldn't be necessary in the first place.

sure, basic mod-free test mission incoming.

If it does not crash immediately, cycle the subsystems on the legion until it does.

« Last Edit: June 28, 2016, 01:26:30 am by DefCynodont119 »

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• Twitter
I found the problem almost immediately (good ol' debugger); the player's targeted subsystem was stuck in the old subsystem list and thus causing out-of-bounds array accesses leading to the crash. Pull request for a fix here.

schrödinbug (noun) - a bug that manifests itself in running software after a programmer notices that the code should never have worked in the first place.

<MageKing17> "There's probably a reason the code is the way it is" is a very dangerous line of thought. :P
<MageKing17> Because the "reason" often turns out to be "nobody noticed it was wrong".
(the very next day)
<MageKing17> "That doesn't really make sense to me, but I'll assume it was being done for a reason."
<MageKing17> **** ME

<MageKing17> Everything points to "this should work fine", and yet it's clearly not working.
(...)
<MageKing17> so

<@The_E> Welcome to OpenGL, where standards compliance is optional, and error reporting inconsistent

<MageKing17> It was all working perfectly until I actually tried it on an actual mission.

<MageKing17> TIL the entire homing code is held up by shoestrings and duct tape, basically.

Offline DefCynodont119

• Steam
I found the problem almost immediately (good ol' debugger); the player's targeted subsystem was stuck in the old subsystem list and thus causing out-of-bounds array accesses leading to the crash. Pull request for a fix here.

Thanks!   I should mention that I worked around that by killing all the subsystems and stealthing the ship just before changing the model, and it would still (inconsistently) crash.

just to be safe I'll/my testers will attach some Log files once I/My testers have reproduced it with the workarounds.  Stand by.

EDIT: Here is another instance of the test mission, but this time it crashed on model-change. not after messing around with targeting.

I doubt this will help but I just want to make sure I'm not doing something stupid.

« Last Edit: June 28, 2016, 09:10:55 pm by DefCynodont119 »

Offline DefCynodont119

• Steam
OK, so I messed around with a variation of the test mission, only this time with the workarounds and this happened:

Code: [Select]
Assert: pair2.dist >= 0
File: shiphit.cpp
Line: 1088

ntdll.dll! NtWaitForSingleObject + 21 bytes
kernel32.dll! WaitForSingleObjectEx + 67 bytes
kernel32.dll! WaitForSingleObject + 18 bytes
fs2_open_3_7_3_SSE2_20151222_7e9a798-DEBUG.exe! SCP_DumpStack + 354 bytes
fs2_open_3_7_3_SSE2_20151222_7e9a798-DEBUG.exe! WinAssert + 194 bytes
fs2_open_3_7_3_SSE2_20151222_7e9a798-DEBUG.exe! spark_compare + 119 bytes
fs2_open_3_7_3_SSE2_20151222_7e9a798-DEBUG.exe! std::_Insertion_sort1<spark_pair *,int (__cdecl*)(spark_pair const &,spark_pair const &),spark_pair> + 127 bytes
fs2_open_3_7_3_SSE2_20151222_7e9a798-DEBUG.exe! std::_Insertion_sort<spark_pair *,int (__cdecl*)(spark_pair const &,spark_pair const &)> + 60 bytes
fs2_open_3_7_3_SSE2_20151222_7e9a798-DEBUG.exe! std::_Sort<spark_pair *,int,int (__cdecl*)(spark_pair const &,spark_pair const &)> + 288 bytes
fs2_open_3_7_3_SSE2_20151222_7e9a798-DEBUG.exe! std::sort<spark_pair *,int (__cdecl*)(spark_pair const &,spark_pair const &)> + 80 bytes
fs2_open_3_7_3_SSE2_20151222_7e9a798-DEBUG.exe! choose_next_spark + 899 bytes
fs2_open_3_7_3_SSE2_20151222_7e9a798-DEBUG.exe! ship_hit_create_sparks + 131 bytes
fs2_open_3_7_3_SSE2_20151222_7e9a798-DEBUG.exe! ship_apply_local_damage + 1103 bytes
fs2_open_3_7_3_SSE2_20151222_7e9a798-DEBUG.exe! ship_weapon_do_hit_stuff + 573 bytes
fs2_open_3_7_3_SSE2_20151222_7e9a798-DEBUG.exe! ship_weapon_check_collision + 3077 bytes
fs2_open_3_7_3_SSE2_20151222_7e9a798-DEBUG.exe! check_inside_radius_for_big_ships + 519 bytes
fs2_open_3_7_3_SSE2_20151222_7e9a798-DEBUG.exe! collide_ship_weapon + 367 bytes
fs2_open_3_7_3_SSE2_20151222_7e9a798-DEBUG.exe! obj_collide_pair + 2404 bytes
fs2_open_3_7_3_SSE2_20151222_7e9a798-DEBUG.exe! obj_find_overlap_colliders + 338 bytes
fs2_open_3_7_3_SSE2_20151222_7e9a798-DEBUG.exe! obj_sort_and_collide + 288 bytes
fs2_open_3_7_3_SSE2_20151222_7e9a798-DEBUG.exe! obj_move_all + 1131 bytes
fs2_open_3_7_3_SSE2_20151222_7e9a798-DEBUG.exe! game_simulation_frame + 1121 bytes
fs2_open_3_7_3_SSE2_20151222_7e9a798-DEBUG.exe! game_frame + 501 bytes
fs2_open_3_7_3_SSE2_20151222_7e9a798-DEBUG.exe! game_do_frame + 231 bytes
fs2_open_3_7_3_SSE2_20151222_7e9a798-DEBUG.exe! game_do_state + 403 bytes
fs2_open_3_7_3_SSE2_20151222_7e9a798-DEBUG.exe! gameseq_process_events + 232 bytes
fs2_open_3_7_3_SSE2_20151222_7e9a798-DEBUG.exe! game_main + 787 bytes
fs2_open_3_7_3_SSE2_20151222_7e9a798-DEBUG.exe! WinMain + 328 bytes
fs2_open_3_7_3_SSE2_20151222_7e9a798-DEBUG.exe! invoke_main + 30 bytes
fs2_open_3_7_3_SSE2_20151222_7e9a798-DEBUG.exe! __scrt_common_main_seh + 346 bytes
fs2_open_3_7_3_SSE2_20151222_7e9a798-DEBUG.exe! __scrt_common_main + 13 bytes
fs2_open_3_7_3_SSE2_20151222_7e9a798-DEBUG.exe! WinMainCRTStartup + 8 bytes
kernel32.dll! BaseThreadInitThunk + 18 bytes
ntdll.dll! RtlInitializeExceptionChain + 99 bytes
ntdll.dll! RtlInitializeExceptionChain + 54 bytes

This happened right at the model change. this is what I was looking for to show you, It looks like there's more then just that one bug with the event.

I should note that bombers were attacking the ship when it changed.

EDIT: New Log attached, old one removed:

« Last Edit: June 29, 2016, 12:52:34 am by DefCynodont119 »

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• Twitter
This happened right at the model change. this is what I was looking for to show you, It looks like there's more then just that one bug with the event.

I should note that bombers were attacking the ship when it changed.
This scenario never would have happened with the test mission you sent me because it has to do with hit sparks: the spark itself contains a reference to the submodel it's coming off of (and since the new ship type has fewer submodels, you're getting out-of-bounds array access again, leading to nonsensical values which are causing problems when it tries to sort them). It's going to be slightly more difficult to solve this problem, but it should also be doable.

(the very next day)
<MageKing17> **** ME

(...)
<MageKing17> so

Offline DefCynodont119

• Steam
Log:   (here because you can't put attachments in PMs)

(nothing deleted by no one)
« Last Edit: June 30, 2016, 12:00:10 am by DefCynodont119 »

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• Twitter
That "log" file is 0 kB and contains nothing.

(the very next day)
<MageKing17> **** ME

(...)
<MageKing17> so

Offline DefCynodont119

• Steam
That "log" file is 0 kB and contains nothing.
Sorry, something must of happened on upload, re-uploading here.

Offline DefCynodont119

• Steam

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• Twitter
http://www.hard-light.net/forums/index.php?PHPSESSID=a09c5ee7b37a6206cbb0b9d379d8f9eb&topic=92175.0

Yay! Thanks! I'll be sure to check the nighties.
The most recent Windows nightly build as of this post doesn't have the fix, but it has been merged now, so it should be in the next one.

(the very next day)
<MageKing17> **** ME

(...)
<MageKing17> so