Author Topic: Is there GTD Orion with more turrets?  (Read 2155 times)

Offline Axel Wers

• I remember Descent: FreeSpace as a new game.
    • FreeSpace
Is there GTD Orion with more turrets?
First: I visit this community only sometimes, so I have no overview, what is new, or something has changed. Second: I tried to find topics about this, I found something, but lot of them are by old date.

I started play Descent Freespace sometimes in autumn 1998 year, when this game was new. Orion was massive ships, but something was wrong - too less turrets. 16 turrets is too little for that big ship (15 turrets for PVD Typhoon ditto). In FS2 nothing changed, Orion was little obsolete destroyer and was replaced by Hecate class, so for GTVA technicians "there was not reason for more turrets".

But this ship is still very popular and in age of AAA turrets, flak guns, beam turrets and other laser turrets is 16 turrets very little. In FS2 this was extreme: on left side were only three turrets, which were armed by beams against big ships, so on left side Orion was totally unprotected from fighters and bombers! So Orion needs more turrets. I found TrashMan version, but file gives 404 error.

FS2 Open gives lot of possibilities, so if nobody so far did not make Orion with more turrets, PLEASE do it and make it as default Orion for SCP. Orion with about 25-30 turrets would be great war ship in FreeSpace Universe.

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Re: Is there GTD Orion with more turrets?
FS2 Open gives lot of possibilities, so if nobody so far did not make Orion with more turrets, PLEASE do it and make it as default Orion for SCP. Orion with about 25-30 turrets would be great war ship in FreeSpace Universe.

I am pretty sure there are upgunned versions of the Orion model around, but one thing is absolutely clear: They will never, ever replace the model in the MediaVPs (or if they do, the extra turrets will be disabled and nonfunctional). If we were to add turrets to the ship, several missions would have their balance severely disrupted, which violates the core rule of both the SCP and the MediaVPs to keep the game balance intact.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Probably here is this Orion.

Axel Wers, nobody will stop you from making mod, which uses modified Orion. :)

Also check FreeSpace Blue.
It doesn't use upgunned Orion, but it's a gently remastered rebuild of FreeSpace 2.
You may find it interesting.

Offline Droid803

• Trusted poster of legit stuff
  • /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕ 人\ Do you want to be a Magical Girl?
Adding turrets is a trivial exercise in PCS2 + notepad for tables, especially on something like an orion which is basically a box so you don't have to worry about rotation angles other than 90-degree rotations should you wish to do so yourself, but for the aforementioned reasons it will never be the default.
(´・ω・`)
=============================================================

Offline Axel Wers

• FreeSpace
Thanks for answers.

It's a pity that Orion won't have more turrets, 16 turrets make this warship poor in my opinion.

There would be any problem to make ship with more turrets by me, but I have not experiences with PCS2 or TrueSpace or what I need for it.

tomimaki thanks, I downloaded it, Orion has 27 turrets, later I'll test it. It's 8 years old model, so pretty outdated, so it will little awfull against modern SCP ships. Never mind.

Offline Axel Wers

• FreeSpace
Probably here is this Orion.

OK, I tested that Orion for FS2, it looks pretty good, there are some visual issues, but I think I can live with. Orion has classical beam turrets like Hecate.

Offline Cyborg17

• Life? Don't talk to me about life....
Orion has classical beam turrets like Hecate.

Bach? Mozart? Hendel? /badjoke