Author Topic: An Old Friend, the GTF Hercules Mk III  (Read 7092 times)

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
Re: An Old Friend, the GTF Hercules Mk III
How about adding working ones (and the gear inside)? :) They could be operated with a script. That could be a nice feature, especially if you were to make more ships like that.

Humm...I DO like that idea! I know the bottom sail would have to be retractable as well which is not much to begin with and it would require some changes to the bottom fin too.
I'll make a run and see what happens.

All the best,
Jadehawk
Got Shivans? The SOC Ezechiel is the schnitzel! Don't leave base without it.

Ok, modified the bottom sail as a separate object that can now rotate backward during landing. I have found it needs to rotate backward -47.10 degrees from pivot point. I believe that part is easy to do script wise. As far as the landing gear is concerned, that's gonna be a dozy to do as the lower fins must be cleared  and that's quite a drop. Of course this will hover and not land like today's jets. So that's not really a problem, just a headache! I'll post model update soon.

All the best,
Jadehawk

And here it is:
https://p3d.in/BMpTB
« Last Edit: May 20, 2016, 07:45:22 pm by Jadehawk »

ok, here is the Herc with the landing gear. Note, this is just the gear, no recess for the gear yet. Yes it's landing skids as this thing hovers like the X-wing. Not easy to see, but this sits with a nose down altitude as the nose gear would be way too long as it's long enough as it is.

https://p3d.in/k6aCi

Jadehawk

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
I think it'd be better off with wheels instead. FSO's landing physics work better for wheels and plane-like landing.

I was not aware the game physics was that way. Humm. Well I had the notion I could add wheels later on for something else. It's easy to do, but I like skids better. Could go either way! :)

From the mainhall we know that Freespace fighters don't incorporate landing gear, instead attaching to moving clamps inside the hangar.
The good Christian should beware of mathematicians, and all those who make empty prophecies. The danger already exists that the mathematicians have made a covenant with the devil to darken the spirit and to confine man in the bonds of Hell.

Yes very true. My reasoning for just landing skids was due to the fact these fighters just might need landing gears for, well landing on a planet or a ship not equipped with ship transport clamps. I'd love to know what others think before I move ahead with this landing gear setup.

In the mean time, I'll go ahead with a version WITHOUT landing gears and just the ship.

All the best,
Jadehawk

Offline StarSlayer

• Men Kaeshi Do
    • Steam
Not sure if you are taking C&C but I personally might try the following:
-drooping the nose section slightly
-sharpening the nose cone just a tad
-moving the cockpit forward a bit
-converting to a fifth gen bubble style canopy

I think the those changes would give the forward fuselage more of a Herc II vibe and show a more natural progression from her predecessor. However, that's just my personal opinion so feel free to disregard.

Cheers,

JB 
“Think lightly of yourself and deeply of the world”

TO me, this looks like something I would expect from the Wing Commander universe. It's cool, to be sure. Not saying anything bad about it. Just reminds me of some stuff from Wing Commander: Prophecy, of which I once owned a second-hand copy.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2016, 04:08:28 am by LaineyBugsDaddy »
There are only 10 kinds of people in the world;
those who understand binary and those who don't.

It seems a little bit long for a Herc III. The Herc I and II were fairly stubby designs. Seems like it could use a tiny bit of un-sleekening.
"Obviously the meson bomb is a form of cat-toast-device, with the buttered toast inverted, so that the cat and toast both fly in the direction of gravity much faster than expected. By introducing artificial gravity, a pair of cat-toast perpetual motion accelerator units can be made to collide with one another, and they produce an unimaginably devastating explosion. Both cats are named 'Meson'."

- Wikileaks 2383

Offline Nohiki

• Graf von Kaffeetrinken
    • Minecraft
IIRC the gun placement on this was a complete hell, worse than the Shu or even the Amun xD If anything could be done with that that would be splendid.
:::ALSO PROUD VASUDAN RIGHTS SUPPORTER:::

in my experience, the gun placements don't matter as long as the gun convergence is set correctly. Again, this is from my own experience. You can adjust the convergence of the guns to what you prefer. In my case, I set the GVF Shu to 400 or 600 meters, I forget which. You would think all are set accordingly the same, but they are not and they should not to begin with due to the different gun placements on a given fighter.

I have no idea what the convergent is set for the GTF Hercules Mk III, but once I ever get to that stage to adjust them, I'll have them tested.

Jadehawk.