Author Topic: SD Demon [WIP]  (Read 12818 times)

Offline Kolgena

There's also this from 3 years ago:

http://www.hard-light.net/forums/index.php?topic=73507.0

The link is surprisingly not dead, but I'm not sure if that mesh would be useful for you as a reference. However, there's some interesting discussion in the thread that might give you some ideas for your own model.

The demon is a fairly hard ship to upgrade because the original has so many large, flat, boring sections with no detail. In that respect, your approach might need to be that taken for the Sathanas, which is to invent interesting but recurrent surface details in those spaces. On the other hand, so much blank space means you have more liberties with it, so use that to play around with what you think is best.

Offline cahdoge

• Is a lubricated bug a butterfly?
If I'm seeing a shivan ship I'm thinking of a giant black/dark shrip with red glewing eyes, cracks and joints.
maybe this helps, if it dos so please reply.
Understanding do you me?

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
I think the biggest thing for me with any Demon upgrade is that it should convey that sense of "massive lump of armored death" present in the original.  I always liked the Demon because it looked like some sort of bloated spider or tick covered in huge slabs of armor.  It's big, it's round, it has big spiky claws, and it doesn't take **** from anyone.  If you ask me what that means in terms of actually modeling it...I have no idea. :p

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
Yeah, agreed. The Demon's shape has almost no dynamism, so you've got to play to that sense that it's this big brooding hulk of a ship that's just fastened itself to this piece of space and started oozing fighters from its bowels.

Offline Rodo

• Custom tittle
  • stargazer
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
A bug that spews shivans?.. pure nightmare material.
el hombre vicio...

Well, when seeing this thing i thought i can stop making my version because this is much better than i can do it.
Currently i havenĀ“t spend much time to the ship, preferred optimizing the Iceni and realizing the Warlock project...

This is so awesome  :eek2: :eek2: :eek2:

Offline An4ximandros

• Transabyssal metastatic event
That is impressive. I am waiting for someone to tackle HTLing the Ravana tho. :P

Offline The Dagger

• I like zod ships
Esarai's modelling-fu is too strong!

Offline BritishShivans

• Jolly good supernova
****, that was Esarai's model. My bad.

Loooove it. Reminds me of Gieger's style for some reason.
What is an "old nazi plate"?

One puts food on it then goebbels it up.

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
Maybe it's because it has no "filling" yet, but it seems too "light" to me. Of the few things you could say about the Demon is that it's heavy and that it has an armored shell, yet this doesn't really look like heavy armor. IMO, the shell should not be too greeble-heavy. I always imagined the HTL demon as having extreme detailing on the underside, where there's no gray armor, contrasted with slabby, though-looking armored shell.

Offline Nyctaeus

• The Slavic Engineer
  • My "FS Ships" folder is 582gb.
    • Minecraft
    • Exile
Esarai is awesome :D!
Exile | Shadow Genesis | Inferno | Series Resurrecta  | DA Profile | P3D Profile

Proud owner of NyctiShipyards. Remember - Nyx will fix it!

All of my assets including models, textures, skyboxes, effects may be used under standard CC BY-NC 4.0 license.

Offline Rodo

• Custom tittle
  • stargazer
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
Yes, it looks like stuff from nightmares. Please continue Esarai.
el hombre vicio...

Offline Kolgena

I don't like it. I question your design decision to completely remove the back half and turn the head into a hollow (and floating??) apparatus. Even from a balance standpoint, you're missing way too many turrets.

I kid. That looks amazing. Seems in line with the Cain and Lilith designs, which makes sense since this is an FS1 ship.

Any updates for the Demon?

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
Any updates? Or did the "Demon's curse" strike again? :) Please don't give up on that one, it's really great.

Offline eicca

Any updates on this? I hate to see the coolest ship in the game go neglected.

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
Another abandoned Demon, I suppose... It was such a shame to play the new, shiny BP release (well, it was a beta, but anyway) and see that ugly slab warp in. The retail model for that thing dates back to FS1! This thing is in such a dire need of an upgrade that I would try myself if I was any good at modeling. I hope someone does take it up.

Offline fightermedic

• quite a nice guy, no really, i am
this ship needs htl sooooooo bad :/
why are people always working on super special interenst models, and noone is working on one like this, that appears in almost every campaign in a prominent way, and in sooooooo many missions :/
on the other hand this model is just incredible hard to enhance, i would not even know where to start, so little detail in the original to go with  :hopping:
>>Fully functional cockpits for Freespace<<
>>Ships created by me<<
Campaigns revised/voice-acted by me:
Lightning Marshal 1-4, The Regulus Campaign, Operation: Savior, Operation: Crucible, Titan Rebellion, Fall of Epsilon Pegasi 1.1Aftermath 2.1,
Pandora's Box 2.2, Deep Blood

Other Campaigns I have participated in:
The Antagonist, Warzone, Phantoms & Echo-Gate

All the stuff I release is free to use or change in any way for everybody who likes to do so; take whatever you need

Offline The Dagger

• I like zod ships
I agree the Demon needs upgrading, but I'm not up to the quality of what Esarai has done and I have no idea where I would start, and that's also what Lc4hunter and lots of people think.
People work by passion and hence work on things that inspire them. Not anyone can take a brick and make it awesome. And we can't force people to do anything. A moder needs to really like what his doing to get to the final line, and that is a very long way on a big model such as this one.