Author Topic: [Release] Starlancer models dump  (Read 8700 times)

Re: [Release] Starlancer models dump
Well you're right I've taken a quick look and all those jumps are sexp-driven. It's quite annoying to do for each mission but it might be possible to do it via lua scripting.

Online Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
You can copy-paste sexpees.
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

Yes I know but if it's something I'm going to do in every single mission better scripting it. I've come up with something while not perfect it's better than the simple hyperspace jump

Offline Mobius

• Back where he started
  • Porto l'azzurro Dolce Stil Novo nella fantascienza
    • The Lightblue Ribbon | Cultural Project
krevett62, thanks a lot for sharing these models. I've been following many updates on Discord about some SL port and just found out what the source of that modeldump was, so thank you for not letting it fall into oblivion. Unfortunately, I can't help Unfortunate Pilot Dude out with his attempt to port StarLancer into FSO due to the many projects I'm involved in, but I really hope someone can do it. I really enjoyed SL back in the day (my first playthrough dates back to early 2006-ish) and even then I wished I could do some porting into FS.  :yes:
The Lightblue Ribbon

Inferno: Nostos - Alliance
Series Resurrecta: {{FS Wiki Portal}} -  Gehenna's Gate - The Spirit of Ptah - Serendipity (WIP) - <REDACTED> (WIP)
FreeSpace Campaign Restoration Project
A tribute to FreeSpace in my book: Riflessioni dall'Infinito
My interviews: [ 1 ] - [ 2 ] - [ 3 ]

Offline ToecrusherHammerjaw

• Trayus no more.
These are indeed some well-made memories of the golden age of space sims!  :)

I only found this out the other month, but did anyone know that there were at least 5 unused capital ship models in Starlancer? I saw this on the wiki. Anyone considered trying to model them?

Hi everyone.
I'm still lurking here even if not actively working on anything FSO related now ;)

I did not even know there was a discord about some SL port ^^

To provide a quick answer, I won't probably bother to convert any more things from SL (as I would need to learn again as my time as gone into D&D and excel programming!), but to convert these models here is a quick explanation about what I can recall without goint into too much details:
-first I extracted models from the SL cd-rom with an old utility allowing to view *.hog files contents (that tool should probably be available somewhere on the internet and my hdd lol), then exported them to ms3d files (milskhape 3d) thanks to a plugin
-then from ms3d I could export them to blender which is much more friendly for working and exporting a model to the FS engine (you will have to search by yourself the naming convention used in FS engine for your tree model). That would need resizing and moving objects to their correct position.
-from blender you can texture and edit your exported models (like adding turrets, weapons, subsystems, etc...) by following the correct naming
-then export the model to dae using blender build-in export tool ans import the resulting file in POFCS2 to save it as pof file that can be used inside FSO engine (that will need tables too ;) )
-adding debris and the like is a bit more work that can still be done with blender

Edit: attached a zip file with a word doc containing my personnal notes about converting these models and using blender (I was learning at the same time so bear with it ^^) some text is probably in mixed french/english (as I'm a french guy!)

[attachment eaten by a Shivan]
« Last Edit: August 04, 2020, 05:15:39 am by krevett62 »

Online Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
I think the process is even easier now than back then 👍👍
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

Offline ToecrusherHammerjaw

• Trayus no more.
These are the ones I mean, by the way:

Makes me wish I had access to these things and any amount of talent for texturing.

Hello all! Could you tell, please, is there some ongoing (not abandoned) Starlancer remake, or mod for something, or "inspired by" project? I would appreciate info on this, some link(s).
Speaking of inspired, I am making in Unreal Engine something like Terminal Velocity / Rogue Squadron 3D. Just a hobby project for now. Not sure if that would be ethical to post links to my project here, but let me know, if interesting to you (and if it is legit to post here).