Author Topic: Briefing editor camera issue  (Read 2019 times)

Offline Edhotmetal

• GTF Ares is The Hulk, optimized for space combat
    • Steam
Briefing editor camera issue
I started making my first mission in FRED 2 using the walkthrough in the help. It was working fine until I got to the briefing editor. Whenever I open that window the main view shrinks to a tiny box in the top left corner and I can't select any of the ships. If I double click the main view it gets bigger but the ships still seem out of place. Clicking on ships doesn't select them and clicking empty space selects ships that aren't anywhere near where I clicked. I managed to make a couple icons but they fill up almost the whole view and don't let me select anything else because they are in the way. (Obnoxious buggers :rolleyes:)
I'm using FRED 3.7.2 RC4 with MediaVPs_2014.

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Re: Briefing editor camera issue
What resolution are you running under?

Offline Edhotmetal

• Steam
I'm running 1280X1024
Here's a log just in case.
It says error reading a registry key?
EDIT:
I think the registry error is because I didn't install FS2 on this operating system. I'm running it from my windows 8.1 installation on my other hard drive.

[attachment kidnapped by pirates]
« Last Edit: November 11, 2014, 10:59:15 am by Edhotmetal »

Offline Deora11

I have the same problem, almost.

When I want to select ships in the briefing view, I have to select the top left of the ships NAME, not the ship itself.
Might help you, might not.

I also have an issue where I can set up the icons all good and save the view, but in-game, any icon close to the edge is cut-off. kinda annoying.

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Can you get us a screenshot?
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline 0rph3u5

• Oceans rise. Empires fall.
The perspective change for the briefing editor (and the related issues with where to click) have been with FRED since FS1 retail ... if I recall correctly it's about transfering the relations of the 3D editor to the 2D of the in-game view and that is about something to do with makeing the scalling work on the original two/different resolutions (but I might be very wrong on that point ... I'm not a programmer)

To be displayed the coordinate point on which the icon is generated has to be in the field of view of tiny window, as long as that point is outside that frame - no matter how large the icon - it will not be displayed.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2014, 08:45:07 am by 0rph3u5 »
"As you sought to steal a kingdom for yourself, so must you do again, a thousand times over. For a theft, a true theft, must be practiced to be earned." - The terms of Nyrissa's curse, Pathfinder: Kingmaker

==================

"I am Curiosity, and I've always wondered what would become of you, here at the end of the world." - The Guide/The Curious Other, Othercide

"When you work with water, you have to know and respect it. When you labour to subdue it, you have to understand that one day it may rise up and turn all your labours into nothing. For what is water, which seeks to make all things level, which has no taste or colour of its own, but a liquid form of Nothing?" - Graham Swift, Waterland

"...because they are not Dragons."

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• The Cthulhu programmer himself!
    • Twitter
I also have an issue where I can set up the icons all good and save the view, but in-game, any icon close to the edge is cut-off. kinda annoying.
This shouldn't happen with recent Nightly builds.
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Codethulhu GitHub wgah'nagl fhtagn.

schrödinbug (noun) - a bug that manifests itself in running software after a programmer notices that the code should never have worked in the first place.

When you gaze long into BMPMAN, BMPMAN also gazes into you.

"I am one of the best FREDders on Earth" -General Battuta

<Aesaar> literary criticism is vladimir putin

<MageKing17> "There's probably a reason the code is the way it is" is a very dangerous line of thought. :P
<MageKing17> Because the "reason" often turns out to be "nobody noticed it was wrong".
(the very next day)
<MageKing17> this ****ing code did it to me again
<MageKing17> "That doesn't really make sense to me, but I'll assume it was being done for a reason."
<MageKing17> **** ME
<MageKing17> THE REASON IS PEOPLE ARE STUPID
<MageKing17> ESPECIALLY ME

<MageKing17> God damn, I do not understand how this is breaking.
<MageKing17> Everything points to "this should work fine", and yet it's clearly not working.
<MjnMixael> 2 hours later... "God damn, how did this ever work at all?!"
(...)
<MageKing17> so
<MageKing17> more than two hours
<MageKing17> but once again we have reached the inevitable conclusion
<MageKing17> How did this code ever work in the first place!?

<@The_E> Welcome to OpenGL, where standards compliance is optional, and error reporting inconsistent

<MageKing17> It was all working perfectly until I actually tried it on an actual mission.

<IronWorks> I am useful for FSO stuff again. This is a red-letter day!
* z64555 erases "Thursday" and rewrites it in red ink

<MageKing17> TIL the entire homing code is held up by shoestrings and duct tape, basically.

Offline Edhotmetal

• Steam
When I want to select ships in the briefing view, I have to select the top left of the ships NAME, not the ship itself.
The names of the ships are mushed together around the center of the view. Clicking within the mess of letters doesn't select ships either. Clicking seemingly random areas selects ships that are rather far away from where I clicked

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
I suspect the problem is the same as that described here:
http://scp.indiegames.us/mantis/view.php?id=3096

The problem gets worse as the screen resolution increases.

Offline Edhotmetal

• Steam
I tried 800X600, 640X480, and 1024X768. The ship names are still offset by the same amount. It does look like the same problem though. Here are some screenshots. It looks like the ship names all try to hover around the center of the view even though the ship model isn't on screen. The stars in the background look like they are super close when I rotate the camera. They move way too fast.

[attachment kidnapped by pirates]

Offline Edhotmetal

• Steam
Has anyone found a fix for this? I haven't had time to try new builds.