Author Topic: POF exporter for MAX - Need people with MAX 4, 5 and 6 for testing  (Read 280909 times)

POF exporter for MAX - Need people with MAX 4, 5 or 6 for testing
Right now I'm scrutinizing the mesh for intersections and other anomolies. Would such anomolies affect POF creation? Are there any tests I can do at my end?

Offline aldo_14

• Gunnery Control
What if the vertices were being processed in the wrong order when creating the shading?  (i.e. like clockwise instead pf anticlockwise)

Offline Styxx

• Hard Light Productions
Omniscaper: no, that shouldn't have any effect. The only thing that could affect is if your mesh has negative scaling.

And Aldo, the normals are pulled straight from MAX, I don't calculate them. The order should be the same for all the models too, and if it was wrong, the faces would also appear flipped on FS2, not just the normals...
Probably away. Contact through email.

Offline aldo_14

• Gunnery Control
Originally posted by Styxx
Omniscaper: no, that shouldn't have any effect. The only thing that could affect is if your mesh has negative scaling.

And Aldo, the normals are pulled straight from MAX, I don't calculate them. The order should be the same for all the models too, and if it was wrong, the faces would also appear flipped on FS2, not just the normals...

:nod:

Didn't think so, to be honest.

EDIT; that nodding smiley looks a bit too eager, dunnit?... ho hum

Ok Styxx, I figured the problem out. I corrected the pivot point alignment on the mesh and Reset X-form on all objects. This process still confuses me, but I kept adjusting alignment till the Reset X-form function stopped changing the mesh. My guess is that the object was upsidedown pivotwise.

I smell SUCCESS!!!

FINALLY I see this model shaded as I see it in 3dsmax. The specular shine still reveals some anomolies but this so far is the BEST conversion of this model. I take it the vertex based specular shine will not be as perfect as ambient shading. I guess we'll have to wait till speculars work on a per pixel basis.

Now time to test this plugin with turret/shield/lod pacement.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2004, 03:55:57 pm by 1582 »

Offline Styxx

• Hard Light Productions
Hmm, could be - nice one. I usually have to use the Reset X-Form when I try to export something to Truespace for all the subobjects to end up in the right places, maybe its needed here too.

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper
*predicts a drastic lowering of TS piracy in the near future*

*ahem*

:D
SERIOUSLY...! | {The Sandvich Bar} - Rhino-FS2 Tutorial | CapShip Turret Upgrade | The Complete FS2 Ship List | System Background Package

"...The quintessential quality of our age is that of dreams coming true. Just think of it. For centuries we have dreamt of flying; recently we made that come true: we have always hankered for speed; now we have speeds greater than we can stand: we wanted to speak to far parts of the Earth; we can: we wanted to explore the sea bottom; we have: and so  on, and so on: and, too, we wanted the power to smash our enemies utterly; we have it. If we had truly wanted peace, we should have had that as well. But true peace has never been one of the genuine dreams - we have got little further than preaching against war in order to appease our consciences. The truly wishful dreams, the many-minded dreams are now irresistible - they become facts." - 'The Outward Urge' by John Wyndham

"The very essence of tolerance rests on the fact that we have to be intolerant of intolerance. Stretching right back to Kant, through the Frankfurt School and up to today, liberalism means that we can do anything we like as long as we don't hurt others. This means that if we are tolerant of others' intolerance - especially when that intolerance is a call for genocide - then all we are doing is allowing that intolerance to flourish, and allowing the violence that will spring from that intolerance to continue unabated." - Bren Carlill

Offline Gloriano

• silver dracon
  • Machina terra
Awesome Work Styxx, there gonna be lot happy freespace modelers who Use MAX's :yes2::):yes:
« Last Edit: August 19, 2004, 04:13:52 pm by 153 »
You must have chaos within you to give birth to a dancing star.- Nietzsche

When in despair I remember that all through history the way of truth and love has always won; there have been tyrants and murderers, and for a time they can seem invincible, but in the end they always fall.- Mahatma Gandhi

Offline aldo_14

• Gunnery Control
Have you got an updated v4 one available?

Offline Hippo

• Darth water-horse
  • Grazing.
    • All Hands to War
Found the problem... (I think)... The model has 97 textures... Everywhere from 32v16, to 256x256... I guess that might be why... I don't know the limits for FSO, but texture numbers might be different depending on FRED/FSO...
VBB Survivor -- 387 Posts -- July 3 2001 - April 12 2002
VWBB Survivor -- 100 Posts -- July 10 2002 - July 10 2004

AHTW

Offline Styxx

• Hard Light Productions
Er, Modelview handles at most 70 textures. My converter won't complain about it, but you won't be able to load it on pretty much anything else.

And updated plugins for all versions will be posted in a few moments, with added Subsystem support - I'm just finishing some tests.

Offline aldo_14

• Gunnery Control
Originally posted by Hippo
Found the problem... (I think)... The model has 97 textures... Everywhere from 32v16, to 256x256... I guess that might be why... I don't know the limits for FSO, but texture numbers might be different depending on FRED/FSO...

97?!

Offline Styxx

• Hard Light Productions
Ok, updated versions - the ZIP has the plugins for MAX versions 4, 5 and 6:

http://www.3dap.com/hlp/staff/sticks/pofexp.zip

97 textures!? Time to utilize 3dsmax's excellent texture baking tools now that 3dsmax have been beefed up by the skills of Styxx. By the way, Styxx, any resolutions for the

bug?

I CAN FINALLY DELETE TRUESPACE!!!!

Now if only FSO supported morph targets......    =)
« Last Edit: August 19, 2004, 04:47:18 pm by 1582 »

Offline aldo_14

• Gunnery Control
Cheers Styxx :):yes:

Offline Styxx

• Hard Light Productions
Originally posted by Omniscaper
By the way, Styxx, any resolutions for the

bug?

Not right now, but I'm working on it.

Dude, no rush. If you lived in the New York area, I'd buy you a round of beers!!!

Offline KARMA

• Darth Hutt
    • http://members.fortunecity.com/aranbanjo
ok, now I have some questions:

1- does this plugin work with gmax too without all the exporting procedure?
2- does gmax have baking abilities?
3- does this plugin have all the autogen features we are used to?
4- does somebody want to teach me MAX?:p

@omni
what kind of distorsions does it have?

Originally posted by Sandwich

*ahem*

:lol: :lol:
:rolleyes:

Offline Taristin

• Snipes
  • BlueScalie
    • Skelkwank Shipyards
Originally posted by Omniscaper
Dude, no rush. If you lived in the New York area, I'd buy you a round of beers!!!

Lol! I'd take it for him! ;)
Freelance Modeler | Amateur Artist

Originally posted by Sandwich

*ahem*

*predicts a drastic rise of 3dsmax piracy in the near future*

*cough*

:D Thank goodness I have access to my school's extesive library of 3d program suites.

Karma, very little distortions on the specular side of shading. Its still a leap from previous TS conversions.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2004, 05:01:31 pm by 1582 »