Author Topic: World of Warships - Now Available  (Read 276295 times)

Offline Aesaar

Re: World of Warships - Closed Beta
I agree with NGTM-1R on this one.  Maybe it was just the last time I played, but everything was so damn shiny, and the particle effects while probably technically superior also felt much more like they got in the way of gameplay more than World of Tanks.  Graphics that get in the way of the game, however technically good looking or impressive, automatically lose to graphics that do not get in the way of the game.
  What does "get in the way of the game" even mean?

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
I agree with NGTM-1R on this one.  Maybe it was just the last time I played, but everything was so damn shiny, and the particle effects while probably technically superior also felt much more like they got in the way of gameplay more than World of Tanks.  Graphics that get in the way of the game, however technically good looking or impressive, automatically lose to graphics that do not get in the way of the game.
Grass in warthunder tonks blocks your view, can be disabled to give you a vision advantage and a FPS one.
Grass aside, which he doesn't directly mention, I don't know what he is on about specifically.
Urutorahappī!!

[02:42] <@Axem> spoon somethings wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> critically wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> im happy with these missions now
[02:44] <@Axem> well
[02:44] <@Axem> with 2 of them

I've noticed that this thread seems to have derailed from the original subject. Allow me to "steer the ship back on course" (ba-dum-tshh)  :p
Here's a beauty shot of the new premium ship USS Sims:

And my second game in the ship, with my greatest result so far in WoWS. Pure fun to play:

Offline Aesaar

Grass in warthunder tonks blocks your view, can be disabled to give you a vision advantage and a FPS one.
Grass aside, which he doesn't directly mention, I don't know what he is on about specifically.
Ah, yeah, low graphic settings giving you an advantage is a very annoying part of WT tanks.  One of its biggest problems, actually.  I still play with settings on high because I have self-respect and don't value winning that much, but I really wish doing so didn't put me at a disadvantage, because it really is a gorgeous game.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2015, 03:52:28 pm by Aesaar »

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline crizza

So... is it possible to buy more places for ships or am I stuck with one to three premium ships? :D

Offline StarSlayer

• Men Kaeshi Do
    • Steam
You should get about 6 slots to start with, likely two are taken up by the 2 starter ships the Erie and Katori.  If you bought one of the Prem ships you would have some gold/piaster/tokens to buy more slots.
“Think lightly of yourself and deeply of the world”

Offline crizza

Well, I'll see it in about an hour I guess^^

Offline StarSlayer

• Men Kaeshi Do
    • Steam
Achievement Unlocked: Sank Yamato.

Special Type Destroyer is very special indeed.

“Think lightly of yourself and deeply of the world”

Offline crizza

Just did my first random match in the Kawachi... Although I was imideatly flamed that I won't survive the first salvo, I duked it out with a DD, a cruiser and a congo... and the last one was not able to hit me while I returned fire with my aft turret, steaming away... Great :D

just played the most fun game of WoWS so far.
Beat this!:

1st 1v1'd a DD, sunk that and dodged his torps
then swung around an island and came face to face with a full health Kongo. Ate this first volley, but he ate all 6 torps, he died.
came around the large island and...ooo look a CV at 4kM lol, so set his flight deck on fire, got right up next to him, but far enough away to launch torps, and well you know the rest.
Proceeded towards the cap, knocked out an enemy destroyer.
Continued west, yet another 1v1 full health Kongo, dodged his first and second volleys while returning fire, eventually swung around to the opposite side of his guns and launched a full spread torps that he ate and died.
Finally came to another destroyer, but he was knocked out by an ally before my shots, which were already in the air, could hit him. He was the last enemy. Game over.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2015, 04:23:38 pm by TechnoD11 »

Offline TrashMan

• T-tower Avenger. srsly.
  • God-Emperor of your kind!
    • Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
Just started playing myself. Wonderfull
Nobody dies as a virgin - the life ****s us all!

You're a wrongularity from which no right can escape!

Offline bigchunk1

• bigchunk1 = Awesome²
  • ...and by awesome I mean Jerk!
Are there world war 1 Dreadnoughts and Cruisers/Destroyers?

I'm just wondering if I can start fantasizing about reenacting the battle of Jutland.
BP Multi
The Antagonist
Zacam: Uh. No, using an effect is okay. But you are literally using the TECHROOM ani as the weapon effect.

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
Are there world war 1 Dreadnoughts and Cruisers/Destroyers?

I'm just wondering if I can start fantasizing about reenacting the battle of Jutland.

The game's rough timeframe parameters are 1906-1954. There are ships from before 1906 in the game, but they were at least in service at that date and have a fairly uniform battery.

Kawachi is WW1 purely, because she was scrapped before 2; Myogi would probably have been the same if the B-40 project had gone to production. Kongo is World War 1; Fuso is World War 1+. Even Nagato is a direct result of the Japanese trying to apply the lessons of Jutland to a battleship design. The fact these ships are associated with the Second World War is not surprising considering they lasted in service that long. It isn't until A-140 at Tier 9 and and Yamato at Tier 10 that there's something which really represents post-WW1 design on the Japanese tree; even Amagi is just a really big version of Nagato in some ways.

When the USN line hits, South Carolina actually predates HMS Dreadnaught in conception, and every battleship up to Tier 6 will have either been completed during or immediately after WW1, and Colorado is basically the American Nagato in regards to design. The first really "World War 2" design on the USN tree is at Tier 8 with North Carolina.

The ships we think of as iconicly "World War 2" start at Tier 7 or Tier 8 on most battleship lines. They're in earlier on cruiser and destroyer lines, at Tier 6 or Tier 7. Before that point it's basically World War 1 or early interwar.

For details, there's always this thread on what we know about the tech trees. Some of the information on the front page is old, though.
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
Weird sidenote: I find myself flashing back to Alpha, during which it was common for people to "attack" enemy scout planes (we had controllable scouts back then) by closing them to shoot them down.

I comment on this because I find myself doing the same thing with the Cleveland; when I see an enemy attack squadron incoming these days my first thought is usually not to my own defense, but how to best to ensure they fly directly over me so my 20mms get in on the action.
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline TrashMan

• T-tower Avenger. srsly.
  • God-Emperor of your kind!
    • Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
B.t.w - username is THE_TrashMan, so add me.

would be nice to play a few rounds with you guys.
Nobody dies as a virgin - the life ****s us all!

You're a wrongularity from which no right can escape!

Offline crizza

Just did my first coop with the Langley... can this bucklet launch only two squadrons at once?^^

Offline headdie

• i don't use punctuation lol
  • Lawful Neutral with a Chaotic outook
    • Minecraft
    • Headdie on Deviant Art
Just did my first coop with the Langley... can this bucklet launch only two squadrons at once?^^

the two fighter "upgrades" in the first column are more options for a 3rd squardon, one runs it as a fighter squadron, the other as a torp squadron
Minister of Interstellar Affairs Sol Union - Retired
quote General Battuta - "FRED is canon!"
Contact me at [email protected]
My Release Thread, Old Release Thread, Celestial Objects Thread, My rubbish attempts at art

Offline crizza

Ah, thx.
That match was intense... I got hit 42 time by HE shells and ate 10 torpedos... after evading three additional waves :D

[attachment deleted by nobody]

What's this you say? Cleveland is a good ship you say? Best ship in game you say?
I do believe you are correct   :D