Author Topic: Consistent crash on Her Finest Hour  (Read 6124 times)

Re: Consistent crash on Her Finest Hour
BP2_Core does appear to have changed, I'll run the mission again later tomorrow to see how it goes. In the meantime, here is my fs2_open.log

Thanks again :)

[attachment kidnapped by pirates]

Verdammt! Still crashes :/

Offline Yarn

Code: [Select]
  -mod blueplanet2,blueplanet,mediavps_2014,mediavps_3612
Again, the game shouldn't be loading two MediaVP versions. Check your Blue Planet 2 mod.ini and make sure the secondarylist line looks exactly like this, complete with the capital letters (because Linux uses case-sensitive file names):
secondarylist = blueplanet,MediaVPs_2014;
Also, open your Blue Planet mod.ini and make sure the secondarylist line looks exactly like this:
secondarylist = MediaVPs_2014;

Found root pack '/media/peter/Main/Games/FreeSpace2/mediavps_3612/fsport-pit.vp' with a checksum of 0x5c650d0c
This file is obviously for the FreeSpace Port and thus does not belong with the main MediaVPs. Delete or move it.

Found root pack '/media/peter/Main/Games/FreeSpace2/mediavps_3612/MV_Advanced.vp' with a checksum of 0x4b8b0f5a
Found root pack '/media/peter/Main/Games/FreeSpace2/mediavps_3612/MV_AnimGlows.vp' with a checksum of 0x6a554026
Found root pack '/media/peter/Main/Games/FreeSpace2/mediavps_3612/MV_Assets.vp' with a checksum of 0x529cc70f
Found root pack '/media/peter/Main/Games/FreeSpace2/mediavps_3612/MV_Effects.vp' with a checksum of 0xb9a9a485
Found root pack '/media/peter/Main/Games/FreeSpace2/mediavps_3612/MV_Music.vp' with a checksum of 0xb3e21469
Found root pack '/media/peter/Main/Games/FreeSpace2/mediavps_3612/MV_RadarIcons.vp' with a checksum of 0x31dd7781
Found root pack '/media/peter/Main/Games/FreeSpace2/mediavps_3612/MV_Root.vp' with a checksum of 0x6ffd5c78
If you have the 3.6.12 MediaVPs, you also need their update files. Get them here (you want the three labeled "update"): http://www.hard-light.net/forums/index.php?topic=70736.0

Found root pack '/media/peter/Main/Games/FreeSpace2/mv_core.vp' with a checksum of 0xb6cb1f6a
Found root pack '/media/peter/Main/Games/FreeSpace2/mv_effects.vp' with a checksum of 0x1986a43c
Found root pack '/media/peter/Main/Games/FreeSpace2/mv_models.vp' with a checksum of 0x2f8a711a
Found root pack '/media/peter/Main/Games/FreeSpace2/mv_music.vp' with a checksum of 0xcca92482
Found root pack '/media/peter/Main/Games/FreeSpace2/mv_textures.vp' with a checksum of 0x2c43a80e
Delete these.

Searching root '/home/peter/.fs2_open/blueplanet2/' ... 74 files
Searching root '/home/peter/.fs2_open/blueplanet/' ... 100 files
You have lots of loose files in these folders, and they could be anything. Go to each of these folders and move or delete the "data" folders.

EDIT: Also:

Found root pack '/media/peter/Main/Games/FreeSpace2/blueplanet2/bp2-compat.vp' with a checksum of 0x9c7d79f8
Found root pack '/media/peter/Main/Games/FreeSpace2/blueplanet/bp-compat.vp' with a checksum of 0x6ef45eaf
Delete these.

Found root pack '/media/peter/Main/Games/FreeSpace2/blueplanet2/bp2-core.vp' with a checksum of 0xe11fa333
This file is outdated. Go to the War in Heaven release thread and redownload bp2-core.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2014, 02:52:13 pm by Yarn »
"Your fighter is running out of oil.  Please check under the hood and add more if necessary"
--strings.tbl, entry 177

"Freespace is very tired.  It is shutting down to get some rest."
--strings.tbl, entry 178

Sorry! Realised it was an outdated log. Today's attached (after a check through of the issues you outlined)

[attachment kidnapped by pirates]

Offline Yarn

Is the mission still crashing, even with your current setup? If so, are you actually triggering the crash while making the logs (which is what you're supposed to do)?
"Your fighter is running out of oil.  Please check under the hood and add more if necessary"
--strings.tbl, entry 177

"Freespace is very tired.  It is shutting down to get some rest."
--strings.tbl, entry 178

Yup, it's still crashing with the same error (the log doesn't look like it's recording any part of the crash).

Offline niffiwan

• Eluder Class
And just to confirm, it's crashing when the Carthage surrenders?  ('coz if it is, I actually haven't played the mission all the way through to that point on the latest BP release yet)
Creating a fs2_open.log | Red Alert Bug = Hex Edit | MediaVPs 2014: Bigger HUD gauges | 32bit libs for 64bit Ubuntu
----
Debian Packages (testing/unstable): Freespace2 | wxLauncher
----
m|m: I think I'm suffering from Stockholm syndrome. Bmpman is starting to make sense and it's actually written reasonably well...

Just after the Carthage surrenders - same place as the OP, though I don't even see a flicker of the box with the choices of what to do with the Carthage

Offline m!m

I have been experiencing a similar crash caused by a script-eval SEXP calling a non-existent lua function. Could you check if FSO opened an error dialog?

No error dialogue, it just kicks me back to desktop. Because I run FS2 from the terminal, I can see the error which caused the crash (I think) - see above.

Offline m!m

Oh, I haven't seen that. It's exactly the error I am having. I will have to check the mission files to confirm that my crash isn't caused by some old files but it seems like the latest update for BP2 doesn't include the scripting that creates the wpt variable anymore.

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• The Cthulhu programmer himself!
    • Twitter
it seems like the latest update for BP2 doesn't include the scripting that creates the wpt variable anymore.
Ah-ha!

Italianmoose, try sticking this file in your /blueplanet2/data/tables/ folder.
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Codethulhu GitHub wgah'nagl fhtagn.

schrödinbug (noun) - a bug that manifests itself in running software after a programmer notices that the code should never have worked in the first place.

When you gaze long into BMPMAN, BMPMAN also gazes into you.

"I am one of the best FREDders on Earth" -General Battuta

<Aesaar> literary criticism is vladimir putin

<MageKing17> "There's probably a reason the code is the way it is" is a very dangerous line of thought. :P
<MageKing17> Because the "reason" often turns out to be "nobody noticed it was wrong".
(the very next day)
<MageKing17> this ****ing code did it to me again
<MageKing17> "That doesn't really make sense to me, but I'll assume it was being done for a reason."
<MageKing17> **** ME
<MageKing17> THE REASON IS PEOPLE ARE STUPID
<MageKing17> ESPECIALLY ME

<MageKing17> God damn, I do not understand how this is breaking.
<MageKing17> Everything points to "this should work fine", and yet it's clearly not working.
<MjnMixael> 2 hours later... "God damn, how did this ever work at all?!"
(...)
<MageKing17> so
<MageKing17> more than two hours
<MageKing17> but once again we have reached the inevitable conclusion
<MageKing17> How did this code ever work in the first place!?

<@The_E> Welcome to OpenGL, where standards compliance is optional, and error reporting inconsistent

<MageKing17> It was all working perfectly until I actually tried it on an actual mission.

<IronWorks> I am useful for FSO stuff again. This is a red-letter day!
* z64555 erases "Thursday" and rewrites it in red ink

<MageKing17> TIL the entire homing code is held up by shoestrings and duct tape, basically.

Horay! It worked, thank you!

Offline Axem

As the one who had packed up all the files for the released, I apologize for the trouble! The file is now in the proper release archives and in the installer. An update should just go very quickly for anyone else now.

Don'lt worry, it's a very good mission! :P Thanks to all who gave advice, my install is considerably tidier now too :D