Author Topic: Help please!  (Read 17211 times)

Thanks for the info. I messaged Talon and will see if he responds. In the meantime, I have gotten the cockpit mod working!

I will play with it for a bit and see if I can get it looking the way I want it to.

Thank you all again for all your help!

Good news! I got the files from Talon.

Bad news: Saga Open now crashes on startup.

Here is a link to the modified Saga Open:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/3m28ww113eftpde/Wing%20Commander%20Saga%20Open%20test.rar?dl=0

Just extract into the default Saga directory.

New problem:

I am trying to change the ship background for the weapons gauge in vanilla Saga. I make and import the ship silhouette but it comes out broken (see image).

What am I missing?

[attachment stolen by Russian hackers]

Offline Admiral Nelson

• Resurrecter of Campaigns
  • The GTA expects that every man will do his duty.
Crashing seems to be related to the cbanis.  WHen I removed them from the first mission, and also altered hud-gauges to support 1440p, I could get it to work with visible gun hardpoints.  I assume this is what you were looking for?

If a man consults whether he is to fight, when he has the power in his own hands, it is certain that his opinion is against fighting.

Offline Admiral Nelson

New problem:

I am trying to change the ship background for the weapons gauge in vanilla Saga. I make and import the ship silhouette but it comes out broken (see image).

What am I missing?

Color palette problem? See Mjn.Mixael's Ani creation tutorial.
If a man consults whether he is to fight, when he has the power in his own hands, it is certain that his opinion is against fighting.

Yes, it is!

How do I duplicate what you did?

Offline Admiral Nelson

Open up the first mission in Fred and then go into the command briefing section.  For each stage clear out the value entered for cb ani, then save the mission.

Ok, I got the custom background working!

Now I am trying to get the hardpoints gauge to show the weapons and their locations on the ship.

Ideally I would like to have one bank of two missiles displayed as two separate missile icons on the hardpoints gauge.

From what I can see this cannot be done so the default Saga ships use multiple weapons points for each side of the ship.

I tried to duplicate this on the hornet by having three separate missilebanks with one missile each. one dumbfire on the left side, one heatseeker in the middle, and a second dumbfire on the right side. When I use the hornet in game it only shows two missile banks. One on the left side with two dumbfires and one heatseeker in the middle.

How can I make it work identical to the default Saga ships?

Also, for some reason the hornet engine glow effects have moved inside the ship. They are in the correct location in PCS2.

Link to vp file: https://www.dropbox.com/s/oanm8pxmufaiibq/WC1.rar?dl=0

Note: This vp file is for vanilla Saga. I am finishing all the custom gauge work before porting everything over to Saga Open.

Offline Admiral Nelson

The trouble is there that you are using non FSO standard code to build them -- I would really recommend trying to use WCSO instead, and just working through the issues with it.  For instance, the hornet model has 61000 polys - who knows how or even whether the now very old WC Saga exe will handle that model.  The thrusters look OK in standard FSO.  Likewise the heading table you've attached seems to be using some WCS specific method of placing the hardpoint.  I don't think anyone could really debug that now a days.  I understand the frustration with WCS Open not being a completed project, but I don't think it is that far away from being useful.

This set of tables should eliminate crashing in WCSO, at least.

Open up the first mission in Fred and then go into the command briefing section.  For each stage clear out the value entered for cb ani, then save the mission.

I'm looking in the Command Briefing Editor but I can't find cb ani anywhere.

Edit: I'm looking at M01-BG-Hermes.fs2

Offline Admiral Nelson

I haven't had any more crashing in WCSO with the new tables I posted above, with or without the cbani changes.  Do you get crashing with them?

yes I do

Offline Admiral Nelson

It is at the bottom right of the command briefing editor:

I've cleared it here.

That's odd. It's already empty in mine. Is it in the missions folder of WCSO or in the WCS vp file?

Offline Admiral Nelson

I just updated the previous link I shared with all the non vp changes I have -- table missions, etc.  Download it again and try with nothing but the standard WCS vps and those folders added under WCS/data.  I can play any random WCS mission using 3.7.4 or 3.8 RC1 with the proper ship specific hud and no crashing.  The missions aren't yet fixed for the takeoff collision issue, but in general your wingmen do take off eventually.  It should be good enough to test your mod.

Sorry, it's still crashing.

Here is a capture of the error message. Hopefully it helps.

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Please post your fs2_open.log file.  Instructions on how to do this can be found in this post.

Whenever the engine crashes please post the log.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Here you are:

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• The Cthulhu programmer himself!
    • Twitter
Code: [Select]
  -old_collision
:wtf: You should not have this enabled.

Code: [Select]
Searching root pack 'C:\Program Files (x86)\Wing Commander Saga\hermes_sounds.vp' ... Failed to read file entry (currently in directory data\voice\special)!
It looks like hermes_sounds.vp is corrupted; I'm not sure why that would cause a runtime error, though.
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Codethulhu GitHub wgah'nagl fhtagn.

schrödinbug (noun) - a bug that manifests itself in running software after a programmer notices that the code should never have worked in the first place.

When you gaze long into BMPMAN, BMPMAN also gazes into you.

"I am one of the best FREDders on Earth" -General Battuta

<Aesaar> literary criticism is vladimir putin

<MageKing17> "There's probably a reason the code is the way it is" is a very dangerous line of thought. :P
<MageKing17> Because the "reason" often turns out to be "nobody noticed it was wrong".
(the very next day)
<MageKing17> this ****ing code did it to me again
<MageKing17> "That doesn't really make sense to me, but I'll assume it was being done for a reason."
<MageKing17> **** ME
<MageKing17> THE REASON IS PEOPLE ARE STUPID
<MageKing17> ESPECIALLY ME

<MageKing17> God damn, I do not understand how this is breaking.
<MageKing17> Everything points to "this should work fine", and yet it's clearly not working.
<MjnMixael> 2 hours later... "God damn, how did this ever work at all?!"
(...)
<MageKing17> so
<MageKing17> more than two hours
<MageKing17> but once again we have reached the inevitable conclusion
<MageKing17> How did this code ever work in the first place!?

<@The_E> Welcome to OpenGL, where standards compliance is optional, and error reporting inconsistent

<MageKing17> It was all working perfectly until I actually tried it on an actual mission.

<IronWorks> I am useful for FSO stuff again. This is a red-letter day!
* z64555 erases "Thursday" and rewrites it in red ink

<MageKing17> TIL the entire homing code is held up by shoestrings and duct tape, basically.

I did some swaping of files between the default WCSO and Admiral Nelson's latest build.

The problem is connected to the hud_gauges.tbl file.