Author Topic: Restarting a 3-part mission?  (Read 1935 times)

Restarting a 3-part mission?
So I'm playing through Derelict, and hit a three part mission (Resupply and Revelation, Shepherding 101, Striking the Line - I looked them up only after I ran into this). Of course, the third mission requires Trebuchets, which I didn't know I needed. So I try to go back to the first mission to change my load out, but it will only let me go back to the second... I thought this would be fixed by now :(. Is there anyway around this? Without Trebuchets or any kind of anti-cruiser weapon (geared for dogfighting) and no way to go back, I'm screwed, and I'm really close to the end and would like to be able to finish the campaign.

I'm using Freespace 2 purchased from GOG fitted with FreeSpace 2 Open 3.7.2 RC3, and MediaVPS 2014 though I'm pretty sure that's irrelevant.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2014, 10:44:45 pm by MaJoRoesch »

Offline Lepanto

• Believes in Truth
In this circumstance, I'd say it's quite acceptable to cheat. Details below.

Spoiler:
Enter www.freespace2.com during gameplay to unlock cheats. Then press '+9 to cycle through all secondary weapons until you get Trebs.
"We have now reached the point where every goon with a grievance, every bitter bigot, merely has to place the prefix, 'I know this is not politically correct, but...' in front of the usual string of insults in order to be not just safe from criticism, but actually a card, a lad, even a hero. Conversely, to talk about poverty and inequality, to draw attention to the reality that discrimination and injustice are still facts of life, is to commit the sin of political correctness. Anti-PC has become the latest cover for creeps. It is a godsend for every curmudgeon and crank, from fascists to the merely smug."
Finian O'Toole, The Irish Times, 5 May 1994

Blue Planet: The Battle Captains: Missions starring the Admirals of BP: WiH
Frontlines 2334+2335: T-V War campaign
GVB Ammit: Vasudan strike bomber
Player-Controlled Capship Modding Tutorial

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Re: Restarting a 3-part mission?
Is there anyway around this?

Not without cheating.  This has been acknowledged as a less-than-ideal design choice by the original creators.

Offline TopAce

• Stalwart contributor
  • FREDder, FSWiki editor, and tester
I agree. There's no way anyone can foresee anything like this. Under these circumstances, it's completely acceptable to cheat. This is also a reminder not to make three-part red-alerts if you decide to make a campaign yourself.
My community contributions - Get my campaigns from here.

I already announced my retirement twice, yet here I am. If I bring up that topic again, don't believe a word.

Quote from: Lepanto
In this circumstance, I'd say it's quite acceptable to cheat. Details below.

Thanks! That did the trick.

Quote from: TopAce
This is also a reminder not to make three-part red-alerts if you decide to make a campaign yourself.

Or at the very least control the load out so the player has the tools they need throughout...

Offline TopAce

• Stalwart contributor
  • FREDder, FSWiki editor, and tester
Even then I'd discourage FREDders from doing 3-part red-alerts. Players may want to go back to mission 1 fror various reasons, for example, too many wingmen lost or too much damage suffered.
My community contributions - Get my campaigns from here.

I already announced my retirement twice, yet here I am. If I bring up that topic again, don't believe a word.

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• The Cthulhu programmer himself!
    • Twitter
Nowadays, you can just make one really long mission with checkpoints, so there's not even a real reason to make Red Alert missions anymore.
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Codethulhu GitHub wgah'nagl fhtagn.

schrödinbug (noun) - a bug that manifests itself in running software after a programmer notices that the code should never have worked in the first place.

When you gaze long into BMPMAN, BMPMAN also gazes into you.

"I am one of the best FREDders on Earth" -General Battuta

<Aesaar> literary criticism is vladimir putin

<MageKing17> "There's probably a reason the code is the way it is" is a very dangerous line of thought. :P
<MageKing17> Because the "reason" often turns out to be "nobody noticed it was wrong".
(the very next day)
<MageKing17> this ****ing code did it to me again
<MageKing17> "That doesn't really make sense to me, but I'll assume it was being done for a reason."
<MageKing17> **** ME
<MageKing17> THE REASON IS PEOPLE ARE STUPID
<MageKing17> ESPECIALLY ME

<MageKing17> God damn, I do not understand how this is breaking.
<MageKing17> Everything points to "this should work fine", and yet it's clearly not working.
<MjnMixael> 2 hours later... "God damn, how did this ever work at all?!"
(...)
<MageKing17> so
<MageKing17> more than two hours
<MageKing17> but once again we have reached the inevitable conclusion
<MageKing17> How did this code ever work in the first place!?

<@The_E> Welcome to OpenGL, where standards compliance is optional, and error reporting inconsistent

<MageKing17> It was all working perfectly until I actually tried it on an actual mission.

<IronWorks> I am useful for FSO stuff again. This is a red-letter day!
* z64555 erases "Thursday" and rewrites it in red ink

<MageKing17> TIL the entire homing code is held up by shoestrings and duct tape, basically.

Offline Sarkoth

• Ser Campaign-listador
Nowadays, you can just make one really long mission with checkpoints, so there's not even a real reason to make Red Alert missions anymore.

And the magic keeps piling up. Tried looking into FRED for the first time in years a few days back. After three hours, I still had zero idea what I was doing and stopped. My amazement for FREDders is constantly growing.
Only the one passed trough darkness obtains the right to ask for light

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Which guide did you follow? The built in help?
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]