Author Topic: What am i doing wrong  (Read 2625 times)

What am i doing wrong
Hey guys im completly new here and i want to expand my experience of fs2 i have installed fs2 open and got the media vp's. i can sorta see some difference but i see YouTube videos and the quality is soooooooooo much better than what i have. What am i doing wrong?

Offline niffiwan

• Eluder Class
Re: What am i doing wrong
You probably need to select the "MediaVPs 2014" as a mod in the launcher. That will let you play the retail campaign with upgraded models, effects, music, and more :)
Creating a fs2_open.log | Red Alert Bug = Hex Edit | MediaVPs 2014: Bigger HUD gauges | 32bit libs for 64bit Ubuntu
----
Debian Packages (testing/unstable): Freespace2 | wxLauncher
----
m|m: I think I'm suffering from Stockholm syndrome. Bmpman is starting to make sense and it's actually written reasonably well...

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• The Cthulhu programmer himself!
    • Twitter
Also make sure you've selected your monitor's resolution in the launcher. If that still doesn't do it, then please post your fs2_open.log file.  Instructions on how to do this can be found in this post.
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Codethulhu GitHub wgah'nagl fhtagn.

schrödinbug (noun) - a bug that manifests itself in running software after a programmer notices that the code should never have worked in the first place.

When you gaze long into BMPMAN, BMPMAN also gazes into you.

"I am one of the best FREDders on Earth" -General Battuta

<Aesaar> literary criticism is vladimir putin

<MageKing17> "There's probably a reason the code is the way it is" is a very dangerous line of thought. :P
<MageKing17> Because the "reason" often turns out to be "nobody noticed it was wrong".
(the very next day)
<MageKing17> this ****ing code did it to me again
<MageKing17> "That doesn't really make sense to me, but I'll assume it was being done for a reason."
<MageKing17> **** ME
<MageKing17> THE REASON IS PEOPLE ARE STUPID
<MageKing17> ESPECIALLY ME

<MageKing17> God damn, I do not understand how this is breaking.
<MageKing17> Everything points to "this should work fine", and yet it's clearly not working.
<MjnMixael> 2 hours later... "God damn, how did this ever work at all?!"
(...)
<MageKing17> so
<MageKing17> more than two hours
<MageKing17> but once again we have reached the inevitable conclusion
<MageKing17> How did this code ever work in the first place!?

<@The_E> Welcome to OpenGL, where standards compliance is optional, and error reporting inconsistent

<MageKing17> It was all working perfectly until I actually tried it on an actual mission.

<IronWorks> I am useful for FSO stuff again. This is a red-letter day!
* z64555 erases "Thursday" and rewrites it in red ink

<MageKing17> TIL the entire homing code is held up by shoestrings and duct tape, basically.

Niffiwan i have already done that but thanks for the suggestion i have followed these instructions: http://www.hard-light.net/forums/index.php?topic=78710.0. Also im not sure if this is the correct file but i think it is

[attachment kidnapped by pirates]

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• The Cthulhu programmer himself!
    • Twitter
Code: [Select]
-mod Incursion
That is not the MediaVPs.
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Codethulhu GitHub wgah'nagl fhtagn.

schrödinbug (noun) - a bug that manifests itself in running software after a programmer notices that the code should never have worked in the first place.

When you gaze long into BMPMAN, BMPMAN also gazes into you.

"I am one of the best FREDders on Earth" -General Battuta

<Aesaar> literary criticism is vladimir putin

<MageKing17> "There's probably a reason the code is the way it is" is a very dangerous line of thought. :P
<MageKing17> Because the "reason" often turns out to be "nobody noticed it was wrong".
(the very next day)
<MageKing17> this ****ing code did it to me again
<MageKing17> "That doesn't really make sense to me, but I'll assume it was being done for a reason."
<MageKing17> **** ME
<MageKing17> THE REASON IS PEOPLE ARE STUPID
<MageKing17> ESPECIALLY ME

<MageKing17> God damn, I do not understand how this is breaking.
<MageKing17> Everything points to "this should work fine", and yet it's clearly not working.
<MjnMixael> 2 hours later... "God damn, how did this ever work at all?!"
(...)
<MageKing17> so
<MageKing17> more than two hours
<MageKing17> but once again we have reached the inevitable conclusion
<MageKing17> How did this code ever work in the first place!?

<@The_E> Welcome to OpenGL, where standards compliance is optional, and error reporting inconsistent

<MageKing17> It was all working perfectly until I actually tried it on an actual mission.

<IronWorks> I am useful for FSO stuff again. This is a red-letter day!
* z64555 erases "Thursday" and rewrites it in red ink

<MageKing17> TIL the entire homing code is held up by shoestrings and duct tape, basically.

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam
Maybe he was attempting to play another mod first.

i had the mvp's in there first and it didnt do anything ill switch it back an send you another log file

here it is

Offline niffiwan

• Eluder Class
It seems that FSO can't find the expected VP files in your MediaVPs_2014 folder.  Could you please take a screenshot of the contents of it?

Searching root 'E:\SteamLibrary\SteamApps\common\Freespace 2\MediaVPs2014\' ... 37 files

e.g. mine has these files:

FSU-MVP.bmp  FSU-MVP_small.bmp  mod.ini  MV_Advanced.vp  MV_A-Glows.vp  MV_Assets.vp  MV_CB_ANI_1.vp  MV_CB_ANI_2.vp  MV_Effects.vp  MV_Music.vp  MV_RadarIcons.vp  MV_Root.vp  readme.txt
Creating a fs2_open.log | Red Alert Bug = Hex Edit | MediaVPs 2014: Bigger HUD gauges | 32bit libs for 64bit Ubuntu
----
----
m|m: I think I'm suffering from Stockholm syndrome. Bmpman is starting to make sense and it's actually written reasonably well...

here you go

Offline niffiwan

• Eluder Class
OK - those files are all still compressed.  You'll need to download 7zip, extract the .7z files and put the contents in the MediaVPs_2014 directory.
----
----

i think that fixed it thanks a million guys i probably be making more posts later on as im hopeless with this stuff but thanks :)

Offline deathspeed

• i can't think of a good avatar
    • Steam
Glad it works!  These guys here are the best in the world at figuring this stuff out.
Maybe someday God will give you a little pink toaster of your own.