Author Topic: Nightly (Windows): 02 Sep 2014 - Revision 11061  (Read 1667 times)

Offline SirKnightly

• George or Keira?
Nightly (Windows): 02 Sep 2014 - Revision 11061
Here is the nightly for Windows on 02 Sep 2014 - Revision 11061

Open non-feature issues in Mantis: 125

Group: Standard
fso_Standard_20140902_r11061.7z
MD5Sum

Group: NO-SSE
fso_NO-SSE_20140902_r11061.7z
MD5Sum

Group: SSE
fso_SSE_20140902_r11061.7z
MD5Sum

Code: [Select]
------------------------------------------------------------------------
r11046 | Goober5000 | 2014-09-01 18:30:23 -0500 (Mon, 01 Sep 2014) | 1 line
Changed paths:
   M /trunk/fs2_open/code/mission/missioncampaign.cpp

substitue main hall for displaying MjnMixael's main halls in fsport
------------------------------------------------------------------------

Re: Nightly (Windows): 02 Sep 2014 - Revision 11061
Is it a known issue, that EMP lightnings don't work anymore?

I mean, they don't even cut the radio chatter when using current SCP build.

Offline niffiwan

• Eluder Class
That's the 1st that I've heard of that specific issue.  There was an issue fixed fairly recently with Nebula EMP not playing in Windows in Debug mode. Would you be able to find out if this issue is present in all the 3.7.2RC's?
Creating a fs2_open.log | Red Alert Bug = Hex Edit | MediaVPs 2014: Bigger HUD gauges | 32bit libs for 64bit Ubuntu
----
Debian Packages (testing/unstable): Freespace2 | wxLauncher
----
m|m: I think I'm suffering from Stockholm syndrome. Bmpman is starting to make sense and it's actually written reasonably well...

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• The Cthulhu programmer himself!
    • Twitter
Is it a known issue, that EMP lightnings don't work anymore?

I mean, they don't even cut the radio chatter when using current SCP build.
I just fired up As Lightning Fall and got EMP'd by the lightning.
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Codethulhu GitHub wgah'nagl fhtagn.

schrödinbug (noun) - a bug that manifests itself in running software after a programmer notices that the code should never have worked in the first place.

When you gaze long into BMPMAN, BMPMAN also gazes into you.

"I am one of the best FREDders on Earth" -General Battuta

<Aesaar> literary criticism is vladimir putin

<MageKing17> "There's probably a reason the code is the way it is" is a very dangerous line of thought. :P
<MageKing17> Because the "reason" often turns out to be "nobody noticed it was wrong".
(the very next day)
<MageKing17> this ****ing code did it to me again
<MageKing17> "That doesn't really make sense to me, but I'll assume it was being done for a reason."
<MageKing17> **** ME
<MageKing17> THE REASON IS PEOPLE ARE STUPID
<MageKing17> ESPECIALLY ME

<MageKing17> God damn, I do not understand how this is breaking.
<MageKing17> Everything points to "this should work fine", and yet it's clearly not working.
<MjnMixael> 2 hours later... "God damn, how did this ever work at all?!"
(...)
<MageKing17> so
<MageKing17> more than two hours
<MageKing17> but once again we have reached the inevitable conclusion
<MageKing17> How did this code ever work in the first place!?

<@The_E> Welcome to OpenGL, where standards compliance is optional, and error reporting inconsistent

<MageKing17> It was all working perfectly until I actually tried it on an actual mission.

<IronWorks> I am useful for FSO stuff again. This is a red-letter day!
* z64555 erases "Thursday" and rewrites it in red ink

<MageKing17> TIL the entire homing code is held up by shoestrings and duct tape, basically.

Now this is very weird. I specifically booted "As the lightning fall" again myself with r11061 and none of the initial dialogue in the mission is interrupted by EMP. Also none of the text is replaced by "-" characters which should almost always be the case with that specific mission. Sure, I got some "EMP" effects later on, but the phenomenom is so rare now, that this is the first time I have been able to succesfully read all the dialogue without guessing.

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• The Cthulhu programmer himself!
    • Twitter
Given the element of randomness, it's always been possible to have the opening dialogue be uninterrupted. It just wasn't very likely before the recent bugfixes since the effect wasn't actually being based on the position of the lightning, unlike retail FS2.
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Codethulhu GitHub wgah'nagl fhtagn.

schrödinbug (noun) - a bug that manifests itself in running software after a programmer notices that the code should never have worked in the first place.

When you gaze long into BMPMAN, BMPMAN also gazes into you.

"I am one of the best FREDders on Earth" -General Battuta

<Aesaar> literary criticism is vladimir putin

<MageKing17> "There's probably a reason the code is the way it is" is a very dangerous line of thought. :P
<MageKing17> Because the "reason" often turns out to be "nobody noticed it was wrong".
(the very next day)
<MageKing17> this ****ing code did it to me again
<MageKing17> "That doesn't really make sense to me, but I'll assume it was being done for a reason."
<MageKing17> **** ME
<MageKing17> THE REASON IS PEOPLE ARE STUPID
<MageKing17> ESPECIALLY ME

<MageKing17> God damn, I do not understand how this is breaking.
<MageKing17> Everything points to "this should work fine", and yet it's clearly not working.
<MjnMixael> 2 hours later... "God damn, how did this ever work at all?!"
(...)
<MageKing17> so
<MageKing17> more than two hours
<MageKing17> but once again we have reached the inevitable conclusion
<MageKing17> How did this code ever work in the first place!?

<@The_E> Welcome to OpenGL, where standards compliance is optional, and error reporting inconsistent

<MageKing17> It was all working perfectly until I actually tried it on an actual mission.

<IronWorks> I am useful for FSO stuff again. This is a red-letter day!
* z64555 erases "Thursday" and rewrites it in red ink

<MageKing17> TIL the entire homing code is held up by shoestrings and duct tape, basically.

My faint memory tells me that the EMP was somewhat more aggressive in retail FS2 version of "As the Lightning falls" than it is now after the fix of positional bug. I remember that I couldn't understand anything about the conversation with Snipes at the end. Now there is no problem at all. I suppose the frequency of lightning strikes is not changed or is it? Or is the effect radius still the same?

But honestly though, I didn't even remember that EMP was also affected by the lightning position. I thought the whole bug was about the "screen flash" effect being at 100% strength no matter if the player was looking at a lightning or not.

I hate to sound nitpicky at this whole "lightning & emp" stuff, but there is a single mission project of mine, where I have tried to capture the same overall chaotic feeling with all those sensors going haywire all the time. With recent FSO build changes (first the flash thingy, and now this) the mission has really been a pain in the ass :P I'm still a noob though, so I presume that there are some alternative workarounds.