Author Topic: BETA development of the FreeSpace Open Installer  (Read 44423 times)

Offline headdie

• i don't use punctuation lol
  • Lawful Neutral with a Chaotic outook
    • Minecraft
    • Headdie on Deviant Art
Re: RELEASE: FreeSpace Open Installer, v2.0 BETA

again where mods have multiple options please make these visually distinct
What do you mean with this?
Perhaps a line space or something to break things up, the list suffers from Wall Of Text tm so I found uncomfortable to read and had difficulty distinguishing between mods to begin with especially where FS port and the mods that depended on it finished

Download bandwidth limiter
Eh, why?  All the testers so far have wanted to make downloads faster.
while faster downloads would be awesome there is only so much you can do for this so mods such as complete BP would still take a significant amount of time to download on slower connections (fiber optic broadband is still to be activated in my area for example) and I found at times the download impacted my ability to browse significantly.

[attachment deleted by an evil time traveler]
Minister of Interstellar Affairs Sol Union - Retired
quote General Battuta - "FRED is canon!"
Contact me at [email protected]
My Release Thread, Old Release Thread, Celestial Objects Thread, My rubbish attempts at art

Offline niffiwan

• Eluder Class

Perhaps a line space or something to break things up, the list suffers from Wall Of Text tm so I found uncomfortable to read and had difficulty distinguishing between mods to begin with especially where FS port and the mods that depended on it finished

What about slight changes in the background colour for all the mods from a single source file? ie. every 2nd set had a light grey (or some other colour) background?
Creating a fs2_open.log | Red Alert Bug = Hex Edit | MediaVPs 2014: Bigger HUD gauges | 32bit libs for 64bit Ubuntu
----
Debian Packages (testing/unstable): Freespace2 | wxLauncher
----
m|m: I think I'm suffering from Stockholm syndrome. Bmpman is starting to make sense and it's actually written reasonably well...

Download bandwidth limiter
Eh, why?  All the testers so far have wanted to make downloads faster.

I second the notion of an optional download bandwidth limiter. It is extremely usefull when on a slow shared internet connection, as other people, and myself, can keep using the internet without hassle whilst the downloads roll on. It's a basic feature on download managers (hence it took Valve 10 years to implement it :P).

Offline headdie

• Minecraft
    • Headdie on Deviant Art

What about slight changes in the background colour for all the mods from a single source file? ie. every 2nd set had a light grey (or some other colour) background?
that would probably work too
My Release Thread, Old Release Thread, Celestial Objects Thread, My rubbish attempts at art

Hello, this is my first post in this forum after lurking for a few days.

I have an issue with the installer.

I've installed all the assets one first time and the FSO installer did well, but I messed up the game installation because of a nightly build that avast was blocking so I had to reinstall it fresh.

And now, whenever I try to use the FSO installer, it says to me that everything is up to date and wont let me download the mods again but I have only the basic FSO files installed on my game folder!

Is that a bug or am I misssing something?

Thanks!

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
This is pretty easy to solve. Go to your user directory (c:\users\<your username>\) and delete the file called "fsoinstaller.properties".

Regarding avast: We know that some of the builds trigger warnings in some malware scanners. These are false positives.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Thank you for the quick response!

Problem solved!

Oh, man. I've been missing a lot of changes! Nice work, Goob! I'm currenytly downloading the new versions now!
I must say. Although I hate Java, you did a wonderful job! :)

I'll test & play when I have some free time and if the power line allows.  :S

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Great to hear it. :)

Right now I'm stuck in dependency purgatory trying to get innoextract to compile.  Ideally I'd transcode it to Java somehow, but even compiling on Windows is a pain. >.<

Offline fightermedic

• quite a nice guy, no really, i am
thank's for the continued work on this Goober :)
>>Fully functional cockpits for Freespace<<
>>Ships created by me<<
Campaigns revised/voice-acted by me:
Lightning Marshal 1-4, The Regulus Campaign, Operation: Savior, Operation: Crucible, Titan Rebellion, Fall of Epsilon Pegasi 1.1Aftermath 2.1,
Pandora's Box 2.2, Deep Blood

Other Campaigns I have participated in:
The Antagonist, Warzone, Phantoms & Echo-Gate

All the stuff I release is free to use or change in any way for everybody who likes to do so; take whatever you need

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
You're welcome. :)  The good news now is that I've gotten a working version of innoextract from the author himself.  So I'll hopefully have the official release of the installer in the near future.

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
One thing: There were a couple of reports where people had deleted their FS2 directories, but the installer still thought mods were installed and was not allowing people to redownload the content. Deleting the fsoinstaller.properties file from the user directory fixed it, but I think this is something that should be made easier to fix from within the installer itself.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Hmm.

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
With the recent podcast mentioning the FSO installer I figured I should upload the version with the latest bugfixes...

DOWNLOAD (or use your existing Installer to upgrade to the new one)

Changes since the last version:

• Major progress toward being able to install the game from GOG source files, with thanks to the innoextract author for fixing a compatibility issue with Windows XP.  The GOG installation isn't fully working yet, since this version is being released a bit early, but it is essentially complete except for a few small fixes.
  • Added a checkbox to force reinstallation of mods that are already installed, per suggestion.  If the checkbox is likely to be confusing or distracting, I can change this to a command-line option.
  • Added a check to clear the cached mod version if the mod folder was deleted
  • Added a connection timeout, which defaults to 30 seconds and can be changed using the command line*
  • Made the mod list alternate between shaded and unshaded regions, per suggestion (et al.)
  • Fixed a bug where special install items (such as setting up OpenAL) wouldn't re-attempt the install if they failed and were tried again
  • Remove .java source files from the jar, which makes the jar a bit smaller (the source can still be checked out from SVN)
  • Added additional user-friendly notices and messages
  • Some refactoring and performance fixes

* Here is the current list of command-line options:

• Set the maximum number of parallel downloads using the option -DmaxParallelDownloads=X, where X is any number >= 1.  Example: java -DmaxParallelDownloads=2 -jar FreeSpaceOpenInstaller.jar.
  • Set the connection timeout using the option -DconnectionTimeout=Y, where Y is a number of milliseconds >= 0.  Setting to 0 indicates an infinite timeout.  Example is as above.
  • Validate an existing install txt file using the option validate.  Example: java -jar FreeSpaceOpenInstaller.jar validate.

A full working GOG installation is planned for the next version.  In the meantime, I've attached the list of XSTR strings so that our intrepid translator volunteers can get started translating.  Any language supported with an IETF language tag is fair game.  This means that I'm happy to include language variants such as en_UK en_GB and en_AU if people are inclined to supply the changes. :)
« Last Edit: May 07, 2014, 12:11:57 am by Goober5000 »

Offline headdie

• Minecraft
    • Headdie on Deviant Art
Nice one, just gave it a run with sync, transcend and windmills, all looks good, the grey banding definitely helps.

all in all good job

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
I've updated the XSTR file with what should be the final version.  See attached.

With recent successes on the GOG installation front, I should be able to post a stable release soon.

[attachment deleted by an evil time traveler]

Offline Cyborg17

• Life? Don't talk to me about life....
Really excited!  Thank you for all the hard work Goober!    :yes:

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
The Installer is now ready for wide release, so I've posted a new thread.  Go here for the build and for further discussion.

Changes since the last version:

• InnoExtract will now properly extract and move the GOG files to their proper locations
  • Added a hash command line option for calculating MD5, SHA-1, and SHA-256 hashes
  • Spanish translations, courtesy of Rodo
  • Portuguese translations, courtesy of Luis Dias
  • Minor GUI fixes
  • A few other bug fixes