Author Topic: Two people, one internet connection  (Read 2521 times)

Offline Ghost

• whoopdidoo
Two people, one internet connection
My roommate is an old friend of mine, and we are both avid FS fans from way back. We both just got everything set up, and we both have FS2netD profiles. We're trying to play the FS2 co-op campaign. However, only one of us can be logged into FS2netD at one time - if one of us is logged in, the other one gets a "disconnected from server" message upon entering the Ready Room. My hunch is this is because we're both using the same Wifi connection. Does anyone have any ideas?
Wh00t!? Vinyl? Is it like an I-pod 2 or something?

[/sarcasm]

-KappaWing

The Greatest Game in Existance

Offline niffiwan

• Eluder Class
Re: Two people, one internet connection
I've seen this occur when trying to test multi with two computers on the one internet (cable, no wifi involved) connection. I believe it only affects the lobby/chat (which shouldn't matter if you're within shouting distance of each other :D), and I definitely managed to get both computers into the same game although I forget the details on exactly what I did (I'm sure it wasn't very hard though).  The only downside is that I'm not sure if doing this trashed my fs2netd stats for both pilots or not... I haven't got around to confirming exactly how that happened.
Creating a fs2_open.log | Red Alert Bug = Hex Edit | MediaVPs 2014: Bigger HUD gauges | 32bit libs for 64bit Ubuntu
----
Debian Packages (testing/unstable): Freespace2 | wxLauncher
----
m|m: I think I'm suffering from Stockholm syndrome. Bmpman is starting to make sense and it's actually written reasonably well...

Offline Ghost

• whoopdidoo
^^ Neither of us are really concerned about stats, since stats tend to be buggered no matter what you do, since I haven't noticed any netplay updates on HLP in the past couple years. We just want to play together. We gave using the host's IP address a shot, and we got as far as joining the same game's lobby, but as soon as I(the host) hit launch, he was disconnected for no apparent reason. If you have any suggestions, I'd love to hear them.

[/sarcasm]

-KappaWing

Offline niffiwan

• Eluder Class
If you just want to play & don't care about stats, why not disable "PXO" and not connect to FS2netD? i.e. have one of you host the game and the other join via your LAN IP (or the auto-discovery should work if you're on the same network). Or does the co-op campaign not work when you do that? (I've only tested single-missions that way)
Creating a fs2_open.log | Red Alert Bug = Hex Edit | MediaVPs 2014: Bigger HUD gauges | 32bit libs for 64bit Ubuntu
----
----
m|m: I think I'm suffering from Stockholm syndrome. Bmpman is starting to make sense and it's actually written reasonably well...

Offline Ghost

• whoopdidoo
We tried that; I was hosting and he had my IP address entered in, PXO disabled. Like I said he was able to join my game's lobby, we could chat back and forth while I chose a mission/campaign. As soon as I launched and the mission was loading, he was disconnected. Pretty annoying. When we get more time we'll try different things, but I was just hoping that people had ideas. I feel like things would work better if we could both log into FS2netD at the same time.

[/sarcasm]

-KappaWing

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
I doubt it. The problem you describe is not going to be made better by throwing PXO into the mix and may even be made worse.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline niffiwan

• Eluder Class
Have you both checked your local firewall to see if it might be blocking connections?

Also, which FSO builds are you both using?
----
----

Offline Ghost

• whoopdidoo
^^ That was the next thing I was going to try; I have a nightly from a couple weeks ago when I got around to reinstalling, and he just installed everything yesterday, so he has a very recent build. And my firewall isn't blocking freespace, I'll have to check his later.

Karajorma, is there anything you'd like to add?

[/sarcasm]

-KappaWing

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Check your router's forwarded ports. It might be doing something stupid there (like forwarding everything to only one of your PCs). Beyond that, I'm not sure what could cause your issues. You could try running a debug build and see if that triggers anything.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline Ghost

• whoopdidoo
Check your router's forwarded ports. It might be doing something stupid there (like forwarding everything to only one of your PCs). Beyond that, I'm not sure what could cause your issues. You could try running a debug build and see if that triggers anything.

You will have to explain this as if I were an idiot child, I know nothing of what you speak. I see "forward your ports!" a lot on these boards, at least as much as "don't forward your ports!" I've tried to figure out what they mean but I am terrible with technology.

edit:

Finally remembered my router's password. I must have tried to do this before because my router already has settings in place, but I don't know if they're right or not.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2014, 10:14:31 am by Ghost »

[/sarcasm]

-KappaWing

Offline Lyonide

I'm also suffering from the same issue, the router is configured correctly, seems FS2.net cannot handle multiple connections from the same IP Address currently.

Offline niffiwan

• Eluder Class
I *think* it's just the chat/lobby that has the problem... but I should really retry that to figure out exactly what I did to get it working.
----
----

Offline chief1983

• Still lacks a custom title
  • ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
Yeah, it should say you were disconnected from the lobby or whatever, but then drop you to the game browser, and the game browser should still be showing you FS2NetD games, and not just local ones.
Fate of the Galaxy - Now Hiring!  Apply within | Diaspora | SCP Home | Collada Importer for PCS2
Karajorma's 'How to report bugs' | Mantis
#freespace | #scp-swc | #diaspora | #SCP | #hard-light on EsperNet

"You may not sell or otherwise commercially exploit the source or things you created based on the source." -- Excerpt from FSO license, for reference

Nuclear1:  Jesus Christ zack you're a little too hamyurger for HLP right now...
iamzack:  i dont have hamynerge i just want ptatoc hips D:
redsniper:  Platonic hips?!
iamzack:  lays