Author Topic: RELEASE: 3.6.12 Release Candidate 3 (RC3)  (Read 21659 times)

Re: RELEASE: 3.6.12 Release Candidate 3 (RC3)
seeing as inferno builds are "highly recommended", does that mean I can use those in place of standard builds for the unmodded (aside from mediaVPs) gameplay?
Fun while it lasted.

Then bitter.

Offline chief1983

• Still lacks a custom title
  • ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
You can (and should) use Inferno builds for everything at this point.  Multi is using them primarily, most current campaigns and mods are being developed against them, and they should work fine with all previous content.  If they don't, we need to know about that kind of thing.
Fate of the Galaxy - Now Hiring!  Apply within | Diaspora | SCP Home | Collada Importer for PCS2
Karajorma's 'How to report bugs' | Mantis
#freespace | #scp-swc | #diaspora | #SCP | #hard-light on EsperNet

"You may not sell or otherwise commercially exploit the source or things you created based on the source." -- Excerpt from FSO license, for reference

Nuclear1:  Jesus Christ zack you're a little too hamyurger for HLP right now...
iamzack:  i dont have hamynerge i just want ptatoc hips D:
redsniper:  Platonic hips?!
iamzack:  lays

Beautiful. Great job to you guys. :yes:
Fun while it lasted.

Then bitter.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
When do we get to stop releasing two separate brands of builds and go to Inferno only? Could we please make 3.6.12 final like that?

And then we can stop calling them Inferno builds and confusing everyone, too!

Offline FUBAR-BDHR

• Self-Propelled Trouble Magnet
  • Master Drunk
    • 165th Beer Drinking Hell Raisers
3.6.12 is supposed to be the last with 2 separate builds.  Inferno will then become the standard but there are some changes that need to take place for that to happen. 
No-one ever listens to Zathras. Quite mad, they say. It is good that Zathras does not mind. He's even grown to like it. Oh yes. -Zathras

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
No.  That was the original plan, but with Taylor's new pilot code, it will be possible to make the limits dynamic.  Inferno builds will then become obsolete.

'Post Processing' crash still going on
Just a note here as I have already updated Mantis:

I have updated FSO to 3.6.12-RC3 and also my graphics drivers to ATI Catalyst 10.6 and the Post Processing crash I was experiencing on RC2 is still happening. A developer compiled a build off of the 3.6.13 trunk that resolved the issue, so there is a fix already in the code somewhere - just not in here (yet). :)

Confirmed the above a few minutes ago.
Dunno about the fix though, the .13 build I'm using from the WiH beta (..latest?) is also crashing.
"Neutrality means that you don't really care, cuz the struggle goes on even when you're not there: Blind and unaware."

"We still believe in all the things that we stood by before,
and after everything we've seen here maybe even more.
I know we're not the only ones, and we were not the first,
and unapologetically we'll stand behind each word."

Offline chief1983

• ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
Well, fixed or not, there's a reason it's in experimental, and being the 11th hour not a lot is going to go towards post proc in 3.6.12, since it currently lacks a real maintainer.
Fate of the Galaxy - Now Hiring!  Apply within | Diaspora | SCP Home | Collada Importer for PCS2

"You may not sell or otherwise commercially exploit the source or things you created based on the source." -- Excerpt from FSO license, for reference

Quick question:
What are the "SSE" builds and what's the difference between them and the regular one?
I notice the SSE ones have FRED open in them, but the FS2 open ones have a slightly different icon.
Fun while it lasted.

Then bitter.

Offline Angelus

• The Angriest Angel
Quick question:
What are the "SSE" builds and what's the difference between them and the regular one?
I notice the SSE ones have FRED open in them, but the FS2 open ones have a slightly different icon.

SSE builds can give a performance boost on older systems.

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
I swear, one of these days.....

Look here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Streaming_SIMD_Extensions

Short version: Non-SSE builds will work on any CPU. SSE builds will work on anything that is a Pentium 3 or better. SSE2 will work on anything that is a Pentium 4 or better. SSE/SSE2 builds offer a slight performance increase over normal builds.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Thank you. I guess it's a dumb question, but I'm sure anyone trying to get FSO working for the first time would ask the same thing...
Fun while it lasted.

Then bitter.

I swear, one of these days.....

Look here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Streaming_SIMD_Extensions

Short version: Non-SSE builds will work on any CPU. SSE builds will work on anything that is a Pentium 3 or better. SSE2 will work on anything that is a Pentium 4 or better. SSE/SSE2 builds offer a slight performance increase over normal builds.

It would probably help a bit if a short blurb this on the download links on page 1. For example:

3.6.12-RC3_INF.EXE               <-- General build for all Windows PC's (When in doubt, just use this one)
3.6.12-RC3_INF_SSE.EXE       <-- Enhanced for PC's with a Pentium III CPU or better
3.6.12-RC3_INF_SSE2.EXE     <-- Enhanced for PC's with a Pentium 4 CPU or better

:)

Offline FUBAR-BDHR

• Self-Propelled Trouble Magnet
  • Master Drunk
    • 165th Beer Drinking Hell Raisers
Except that those aren't entirely true and leave out what processors actually have the ability.  It's not just a straight P3 and P4 cut.  Also that leaves out the entire AMD line.  So the best bet is to check the previous wiki link (can't believe I just made that statement) on what your processor supports.
No-one ever listens to Zathras. Quite mad, they say. It is good that Zathras does not mind. He's even grown to like it. Oh yes. -Zathras

Offline Fury

• The Curmudgeon
I don't think non-SSE builds should be linked to by default, but maybe in troubleshooting section if at all. These are only needed if you have Pentium 2, Pentium MMX, Pentium Pro, Pentium, first generation Athlon (the one without XP suffix), AMD K6 or K5. Older CPU's than that probably can't run retail FS2.

Pentium 3, Athlon XP/Duron and all newer CPUs supports SSE.

Meanwhile you could link directly to following article for people unsure if their CPU supports SSE2.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SSE2#CPUs_supporting_SSE2

Offline chief1983

• ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
Or just run CPU-Z to be sure :)

Except that those aren't entirely true and leave out what processors actually have the ability.  It's not just a straight P3 and P4 cut.  Also that leaves out the entire AMD line.  So the best bet is to check the previous wiki link (can't believe I just made that statement) on what your processor supports.

The problem with this thinking is that while it is true that it is not a completely straightforward cut, the people that know that already know which build they need. Also, mentioning the AMD line is largely irrelevant because the AMD market share is very small and largely enthusiast (i.e. most people that have AMD processors know exactly what they have because they have specifically purchased them - there are not really all that many OEM AMD machines out there). Also, we AMD users (I have been exclusively AMD since the AMD K6) tend to know very well which Intel chip our parts match up to as just about every system requirement spec for software only lists Intel processors. It is generally only games released within the last couple of years that mention AMD at all (good fallout from the short-but-sweet period when AMD was eating Intel's lunch performance-wise).

In short, the way I have it noted may not be * 100% completely accurate and inclusive * but it would take care of just about anyone who would ask that question to begin with. If they want more info (most non-techies don't really care for the details anyway), they can use their search engine of choice to research it.

I am in no way trying to belittle your response, but you are looking at this thing from the top down, not the bottom up. Joe User just wants to know which build is the one he is supposed to be downloading while following the instructions on the page. Only us geek/nerd types (and some * few * curious individulas) care anything at all about the underlying technology that makes each build different. :) This is one of the hardest lessons I have had to learn doing my job in Verizon FiOS tech support. . .  :)

Offline Fury

• The Curmudgeon
http://store.steampowered.com/hwsurvey/processormfg/

AMD has roughly 30% market share and is common in OEM computers too. More common than your comment gives credit for.

Why not check for SSEx presence when the engine starts?
STRONGTEA. Why can't the x86 be sane?