Author Topic: Using Variables in Fred2  (Read 2219 times)

Using Variables in Fred2
I've just read-up on using variables in Fred2 and it looks promising.

I've designed a test mission for the Alpha Quadrant project where the Federation battles a small Borg Fleet led by a Borg Probe (Borgified Setekh) (steak will be happy). When a fighter's shields go down (including Alpha 1) a Borg drone can beam in and assimilate the pilot (including you) and fight for the Borg. If you are assimilated, you will follow the Borg campaign. But, anyway... I used a variable to count the number of ships assimilated to use in messages and debriefing. It sorta looked like this (for every fighter/bomber).

Code: [Select]
Alpha 2 Assimilated

when

-Shield Quad Low
  -Alpha 2

-Change-IFF
  -Hostile
  -Alpha 2
-Send Message
  -$Command
  -High
  -Federation vessel assimilated
-Modify Variable
  -StarshipAssimilated
  - +
      -StarshipAssimilated

It worked and it was cool.

I was just wondering what are some other things that you can do with variables? What's the best thing you have done?
--
'Captain' Nick Brown

Offline Sushi

• Art Critic
I've never used variables, but there is a LOT of power there.  

------------------
Sushi- the OTHER white meat!

Accelerate your game-Velocity Mod
Sushi's Freespace Zone-Future home of loads of cool stuff.

Offline Slanker

The great Peter Drake (the guy who wrote the official FRED2 documentation) used variables to simulate a tactical jump of a shivan Moloch. Check out the Boomerang campaign @ the VW Archives!
Here comes my sig... oh finished :D

Originally posted by Slanker:
The great Peter Drake (the guy who wrote the official FRED2 documentation) used variables to simulate a tactical jump of a shivan Moloch. Check out the Boomerang campaign @ the VW Archives!

Thanks Slanker, I'll go have a look. I'll report my findings here too...
--
'Captain' Nick Brown