Author Topic: A huge shield?  (Read 2863 times)

White Dove and I have been brainstorming for some missions. We came up with a recon mission where you have to rescue a group of kidnapees. As you're flying along you suddenly bump into something, which you realise is a massive forcefield. Now how would one get this to work? Well, I thought perhaps you could put a model (like Carl's Borg Cube) in position and make it have the invisible.pcx texture. That way you wouldn't see it as you collide with it, so it looks like an invisible force field. And then you have to find a way to deactivate it... Blah, blah, blah. Then you disable it (ship-vanish) and then you can go in and make the rescue, etc.

Point is, can this work? Will the invisible texture make it invisible and such.
--
'Captain' Nick Brown

Make the invisible texture and then have the ship hidden from sensors. That should work.

------------------
Defination of a shivan: Target Practice....
"I am that which lurks in the night, I am both the fallen, and the man"
Webmaster for...
Imperium Chronicals
We Take Modders....

Offline Jabu

• One of our many cases
I've done this, as a protective field around my really big base. I've had some trouble with my invisible texture, though. So I'm not really of any help.

Except I did it before you  

Offline QXMX

I"m wondering how the game's AI will react.  Will they "see" it even though it's invisible.  A stealth tag might help here.  It sounds like an original idea though.

------------------
.....File not found....please enter password

Webmaster of Subspace Zero

Co-Creator, GroundZero
ICQ# 117983680

Offline Red5

• http://www.roughnecks.org
 Wow, do u use a all green 0 255 0 color for its map??? this sounds neat, i wonder can u make it where a ship cloaks in and out of view, that would rock!
This is my signature

Offline Jabu

• One of our many cases
That's been debated, and it was deemed possible. But no-one actually did anything  

Offline Nico

• Venom
    Parlez-vous Model Magician?

Originally posted by Red5:
Wow, do u use a all green 0 255 0 color for its map??? this sounds neat, i wonder can u make it where a ship cloaks in and out of view, that would rock!

No, that wouldn't work, because some cards can't handle it. But if you map the object with a texture called invisible.pcx (or somthing like that, not sure about the name), FS won't show it (look at the big cube around the knossos for a good example)
SCREW CANON!

Originally posted by venom2506:

No, that wouldn't work, because some cards can't handle it. But if you map the object with a texture called invisible.pcx (or somthing like that, not sure about the name), FS won't show it (look at the big cube around the knossos for a good example)

I've tried it, but it shows up with the green or the InvisibleLight map colour stuff in ModelView. Will it show up invisible in FS2 though?
--
'Captain' Nick Brown