Author Topic: New heavy frigate  (Read 48204 times)

Offline MatthTheGeek

• Captain Obvious
  • Frenchie McFrenchface
It's the first time I see this "Vaygr"...
You, dear sir, are making kitties cry.

Stopit ;_;
People are stupid, therefore anything popular is at best suspicious.

Mod management tools     -     Wiki stuff!     -     Help us help you

666maslo666: Releasing a finished product is not a good thing! It is a modern fad.

SpardaSon21: it seems like you exist in a permanent state of half-joking misanthropy

Axem: when you put it like that, i sound like an insane person

bigchunk1: it's not retarded it's american!
bigchunk1: ...

batwota: steele's maneuvering for the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: you mispelled grĂ¢ce
Awaesaar: grace
batwota: oh right :P
Darius: ah!
Darius: yes, i like that
MatthTheGeek: the way you just spelled it it means fat
Awaesaar: +accent I forgot how to keyboard
MatthTheGeek: or grease
Darius: the killing fat!
Axem: jabba does the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: XD
Axem: bring me solo and a cookie

Sir, I hereby apologize for making your kitties cry... whatever it means.... ???  :confused:

Offline An4ximandros

• Transabyssal metastatic event
He's sad you have never experienced this:

Offline niffiwan

• Eluder Class
i.e. it's from the game Homeworld (or Homeworld2, I never got around to playing the sequel)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Homeworld
Creating a fs2_open.log | Red Alert Bug = Hex Edit | MediaVPs 2014: Bigger HUD gauges | 32bit libs for 64bit Ubuntu
----
Debian Packages (testing/unstable): Freespace2 | wxLauncher
----
m|m: I think I'm suffering from Stockholm syndrome. Bmpman is starting to make sense and it's actually written reasonably well...

Offline Rodo

• Custom tittle
  • stargazer
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
ahhww now you've ruined it.
he'll spend his days playing hw instead of progressing with the model.
el hombre vicio...

Offline An4ximandros

MWahahhaahahahah!

ahhww now you've ruined it.
he'll spend his days playing hw instead of progressing with the model.

That'd make two of us  :sigh:

Offline Luis Dias

^**** where's my cd now?

Offline An4ximandros

I still can't get past Thaddis Sabbath. :mad:

Anything you can tell us arrow? :)

Not yet! One day I will... (the day I'll try Homeworld... :p)

Hey guys, I need your advice about this: since the beam cannon is the primary weapon of my ship, I'd like to add some extra protection to prevent it to be wiped out by a single shot. Here's the options I have thought about:

1- a 4 blade iris at the top of the cannon. Each blade has to pivot around the Y axis that passes through a single point (like clock's hands). I asked on the scripting section but I was told it would be difficult to implement;

2- a shield covering the "mouth" of the cannon, like fighters' one (maybe easier than the iris);
In this cases the beam emitter is assigned few hitpoints, so it can be easily destroyed after clearing the iris or weakening the shield ( or destroying an hypothetical shield generator)

3- the beam emitter subsystem is assigned more hitpoints. This is the easiest way, but the less realistic and the less interesting, in my opinion.

Do you think it would be worthy to spend time trying to make the first 2 ideas work, or I'd better to go for the third option? Do you think that this kind of extra protection would give the ship an excessive advantage over the enemies (considering GTVA as enemy)?

Seems like you could do the iris with the 4 blades each rigged to rotate about 4 different points, each 90 degrees apart. You might need to do a bit of trig to work it all out, but it doesn't seem impossible.
The good Christian should beware of mathematicians, and all those who make empty prophecies. The danger already exists that the mathematicians have made a covenant with the devil to darken the spirit and to confine man in the bonds of Hell.

The shield option makes the most sense to me--after all, they're the most efficient, especially given that you could divert power to the shield to recharge it faster than normal, which you couldn't do with armor. On top of that, it'd require bombers to carry anti-shield weapons when before they could just carry an all anti-armor loadout.

That, and I'm not sure how the clock-like blade iris would even work. If the rotating pivot point is the center, doesn't that mean that the blade iris is always at least partially blocking the cannon?

Delenda Est delenda est.

(Yay gratuitous Latin.)

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
You can do the iris with the animaiton code already in FSO. The blades would just have to rotate, which can be easily done. As long as there's no translation involved, you should be fine.

Offline headdie

• i don't use punctuation lol
  • Lawful Neutral with a Chaotic outook
    • Minecraft
    • Headdie on Deviant Art
The issue with the iris solution i think is making the animation happen every time the beam fires.  if using the beam fire sexps then it is workable but if the weapon is free firing then it will be extremely difficult iirc
Minister of Interstellar Affairs Sol Union - Retired
quote General Battuta - "FRED is canon!"
Contact me at [email protected]
My Release Thread, Old Release Thread, Celestial Objects Thread, My rubbish attempts at art

Thank you guys for your suggestions!  :)

The shield option makes the most sense to me--after all, they're the most efficient, especially given that you could divert power to the shield to recharge it faster than normal, which you couldn't do with armor. On top of that, it'd require bombers to carry anti-shield weapons when before they could just carry an all anti-armor loadout.

That, and I'm not sure how the clock-like blade iris would even work. If the rotating pivot point is the center, doesn't that mean that the blade iris is always at least partially blocking the cannon?

I think you're right about the shield. It's maybe the best option: it's the easiest to set up and the beam emitter would be visible. Moreover this weapon is meant to fire from a very long distance (the most of times), so the blade's animation wouldn't have been even seen by the player.
(As far as the blades are concerned, they would have had a pivot point each, so the cannon mouth would have been totally unobstructed after the rotation)

I've almost suspended modelling activities in this period because it's exams time at university, so I had very little spare time. Anyway I managed to build the emitter and here is a picture...

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
The issue with the iris solution i think is making the animation happen every time the beam fires.  if using the beam fire sexps then it is workable but if the weapon is free firing then it will be extremely difficult iirc
Spoon managed that on his Caliburn cruisers. They have a simpler hinged door, but the triggers are the same.

Offline Darius

You can set animations to trigger on firing.

(minor) UPDATE:
I worked a little bit over weaponry. If you take a look to the p3d window (first page) you will notice the gauss cannons' configuration (red). I think this will be more or less a definitive layout: 6 gauss cannon on the upper side and 4 on the lower side. I think 10 is a fair number since this is a mid-to-short range type of weapon. (a will 6 torpedo launch tubes) Of course all the others heavy weapons can be used even at short distance, but the ship must be perfectly aligned to the target in order to fire and, given the ship's shape, this wouldn't be so easy when fighting against a Deimos-class ship in close combat.

Those holes inside which the side gauss turrets are placed are intended to break the wings' geometry, because it felt a bit dull to me. But I am uncertain whether to keep them or look for a different solution.

That's all for now. Bye!

Offline Husker

Ok, THIS is what the Masyaf should be when this gets finished. :cool: :nod: