Author Topic: New heavy frigate  (Read 48170 times)

Offline Darius

Ok, THIS is what the Masyaf should be when this gets finished. :cool: :nod:

kk

Just a little size comparison between my ship and FD Vexor by Steve-O (EDIT: Vexor's author added...)

« Last Edit: October 02, 2013, 11:27:06 am by whitearrow »

Offline Oddgrim

• I like building stuff.
    • Art Thumblr
The ship outline reminds me quite a bit of a fighter, but its design is different enough to distance itself from that. Very well done. c:
[GhostOfMjn: I can provide hi res vasudan ass]
[Hades]: we have so much in common we should bang.
My models page:
http://p3d.in/u/Oddgrim

Offline niffiwan

• Eluder Class
wow, that's looking really cool  :yes:
Creating a fs2_open.log | Red Alert Bug = Hex Edit | MediaVPs 2014: Bigger HUD gauges | 32bit libs for 64bit Ubuntu
----
Debian Packages (testing/unstable): Freespace2 | wxLauncher
----
m|m: I think I'm suffering from Stockholm syndrome. Bmpman is starting to make sense and it's actually written reasonably well...

Offline An4ximandros

• Transabyssal metastatic event

Fantastic. :D

that is the most brilliant abuse of latin i have ever seen
The good Christian should beware of mathematicians, and all those who make empty prophecies. The danger already exists that the mathematicians have made a covenant with the devil to darken the spirit and to confine man in the bonds of Hell.

Offline Husker

I agree. Though, I'm glad most impressionable kids don't know Latin; or this site for that matter. :D Vidi would be the better use of Latin.

Well, we can make a good compromise through inverting the classic chronological sequence: vidi - veni... :D

Offline ShadowWolf_IH

• A Real POF Guy
    • CoW
That looks really sharp, well done.
You can't take the sky from me.  Can't take that from me.

Casualties of War

Offline Husker

Right, back on topic. :nervous:  :P

Offline T-Man

• I came... I saw... I had a cuppa!
*Struggling to understand Blender and barely get a basic shape, sees Whitearrow's Frigate and Vexor*
...I hate you... :lol:.

Nah that ship's looking lovely man; very original design, yet I could see it fitting in with other Federation ships quite well (especially the Sanctus). Not sure on those long 'wings' either side (i'd maybe shorten them a little) but that'd just be personal aesthetic; it looks gorgeous all over; you use a few detail elements really well on this. That beam emitter looked bloody good btw (you had close-ups on a previous page). :yes:

Assuming that Vexor (which looks gorgeous!) is yours too. Nice.  :yes:
Also goes by 'Murasaki-Tatsu' outside of Hard-Light

UEF fanboy. Rabid Imagination.

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
The Vexor is Steve-O's model.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline T-Man

• I came... I saw... I had a cuppa!
The Vexor is Steve-O's model.
Ah that's still the original/a remake by Steve-O himself. Kudos to him for that one then; assumed it a remake by Arrow; pardon confusion.

Frigate still gorgeous though Arrow :yes:

EDIT: Why am I suddenly thinking of the Imperial March theme looking at the frigate :lol:.

(And O/T: Yes to the 'Veni' picture...just yes...)
« Last Edit: October 02, 2013, 05:15:25 am by T-Man »
Also goes by 'Murasaki-Tatsu' outside of Hard-Light

UEF fanboy. Rabid Imagination.

Thank you T-man! Steve-O is a great modeller and I took a lot of inspiration from his work. I like thinking of my ship as Vexor's little brother, if I may say so. Though I think that Vexor is a mature model. Steve-O must have had well clear in mind where he wanted to get, even before he started modelling; whereas I changed so many things from the beginning, that I can say that I would have gotten to the point I am now in half the time otherwise...
« Last Edit: October 02, 2013, 11:30:26 am by whitearrow »

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
Do you think you could also give it Steve-O-style textures? This is quite a unique scheme, but unfortunately, there's only a few ships that follow it. Esarai, on the other hand, has numerous imitators, and Scooby Doo made enough ships in his style to last the community a lifetime. I like having a consistent look across the fleet, not to mention this style lends itself to team colors.

Well, I was thinking of something different for the textures. This is supposed to be a secret stealth ship, so it should feature some kind of particular coating, e.g. radar absorbing. I may try to "stealthify" a UEF styled texture, but I need to learn how textures work first (it will be my first attempt to texture something!  :D).

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
I would waaaaaay rather see 'whitearrow' style textures than 'whitearrow-copycat-Steve-O' style.

Or, more accurately.. I'd rather see whitearrow develop his own creativity than to be limited to copying someone else's style.
Cutscene Upgrade Project - Mainhall Remakes - Between the Ashes
Youtube Channel - P3D Model Box
Between the Ashes is looking for committed testers, PM me for details.
Freespace Upgrade Project See what's happening.

Offline Cobra

• Snake on a Cain
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
I love the design of this ship. Bonus points on the first page for immediately making me think of the Eclipse SSD.

*snip*
Fantastic. :D

I get it!
To consider the Earth as the only populated world in infinite space is as absurd as to assert that in an entire field of millet, only one grain will grow. - Metrodorus of Chios
I wept. Mysterious forces beyond my ken had reached into my beautiful mission and energized its pilots with inhuman bomb-firing abilities. I could only imagine the GTVA warriors giving a mighty KIAAIIIIIII shout as they worked their triggers, their biceps bulging with sinew after years of Ivan Drago-esque steroid therapy and weight training. - General Battuta

little UPDATE:
I tried to add some gribbles at midship. That kind of hears you can see there are part of the electronic warfare equipment... check p3d window.
Let me know if you find it plausible...