Author Topic: New heavy frigate  (Read 48199 times)

Offline asyikarea51

• -__-||
It reminds me of a Shivan ship for some reason... maybe it's the camera angles. I literally did a triple take on the pictures before I realised it was a Terran design...
Inferno plz
The Power of Nightmares
TheHound: "Nice idea, but I have a thing against announcing campaigns before having them already finished."
G5K: "The flipside of that is that if you don't announce your campaign, yet take too long to finish it, other people may independently come up with some of the same ideas."

It reminds me of a Shivan ship for some reason... maybe it's the camera angles. I literally did a triple take on the pictures before I realised it was a Terran design...

Actually, I had this feeling too in the middle of the modelling phase. But I decided to follow that direction since I think it's pretty consistant with the BP's storyline.
Spoiler:
Since Fedayeen are "controlling" a Shivan specimen, I'd fancy that this ship's blueprints was developed largely using its fast computing intelligence and its knowledge. If the expertise acquired on TEV's technology after the seizure of Agincourt was taken into account, the overall result would be something like this ship. This is the best of both worlds!

Offline esarai

• Steathy boi
    • Minecraft
Holy balls that's amazing.  Texture it.  Texture it NOW.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2014, 05:04:47 pm by esarai »
<Nuclear>   truth: the good samaritan actually checked for proof of citizenship and health insurance
<Axem>   did anyone catch jesus' birth certificate?
<Nuclear>   and jesus didnt actually give the 5000 their fish...he gave it to the romans and let it trickle down
<Axem>and he was totally pro tax breaks
<Axem>he threw out all those tax collectors at the temple
<Nuclear>   he drove a V8 camel too
<Nuclear>   with a sword rack for his fully-automatic daggers

Esarai: hey gaiz, what's a good improvised, final attack for a ship fighting to buy others time to escape to use?
RangerKarl|AtWork: stick your penis in the warp core
DarthGeek: no don't do that
amki: don't EVER do that

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
That looks really sweet
Urutorahappī!!

[02:42] <@Axem> spoon somethings wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> critically wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> im happy with these missions now
[02:44] <@Axem> well
[02:44] <@Axem> with 2 of them

Offline esarai

• Steathy boi
    • Minecraft
Also, I must say this thing looks quite like a stealth frigate.  I know that's virtually impossible in space, but it just screams stealth.
<Nuclear>   truth: the good samaritan actually checked for proof of citizenship and health insurance
<Nuclear>   and jesus didnt actually give the 5000 their fish...he gave it to the romans and let it trickle down

Esarai: hey gaiz, what's a good improvised, final attack for a ship fighting to buy others time to escape to use?

Offline An4ximandros

• Transabyssal metastatic event
We can always blame Shivan shenanigans and subspace quantum plot foam. :p

Also, I must say this thing looks quite like a stealth frigate.  I know that's virtually impossible in space, but it just screams stealth.

It is intended to be also stealth, or better, to have a heavy electronic warfare suite... remind me to add anti-radiation coffee dispensers inside the hangar bay too...  :D

Man, I've finished to draft my graduation thesis in law 10 min ago... my brain is laying on the floor right now! But I'm very excited about it!  :bump:
Aside from jokes, I think I'll be very busy next weeks and I have to go through the tutorial again, because I need to learn texturing from zero. It'll take a while...  ;)

I know that's virtually impossible in space, but it just screams stealth.

other things impossible in space: everything in freespace
The good Christian should beware of mathematicians, and all those who make empty prophecies. The danger already exists that the mathematicians have made a covenant with the devil to darken the spirit and to confine man in the bonds of Hell.

Offline An4ximandros

• Transabyssal metastatic event
My only concern is it not replacing the Narayana Masyaf if it gets picked up by BP...

I doubt it would happen but... ya know.

Offline Nyctaeus

• The Slavic Engineer
  • My "FS Ships" folder is 582gb.
    • Minecraft
    • Exile
You can always use tiles/parts of other textures and than bake them all into single texture. Despite the method of texturing U will use, I wonder if that detailed model should use one texture, as the polycount is pretty high. I think it should use 2-3 2048x2048px maps or one single 4096x4096px texture.

Wish you luck. You will need it, as it will be somekind of horror to make uvmapp for this :P
Exile | Shadow Genesis | Inferno | Series Resurrecta  | DA Profile | P3D Profile

Proud owner of NyctiShipyards. Remember - Nyx will fix it!

All of my assets including models, textures, skyboxes, effects may be used under standard CC BY-NC 4.0 license.

My only concern is it not replacing the Narayana Masyaf if it gets picked up by BP...

I doubt it would happen but... ya know.

I never thought that it could replace Narayana: I don't want that Shivan scum to drive my ship! :p I thought it could be usefull as deus-ex-machina, just in case UEF forces are overwelmed by TEVs. Anyway I'm aware it's likely BP team doesn't pick it up for the last parts, since maybe it would need too much plot adjusting. At least I hope that someone would eventually use it somewhere else.

You can always use tiles/parts of other textures and than bake them all into single texture. Despite the method of texturing U will use, I wonder if that detailed model should use one texture, as the polycount is pretty high. I think it should use 2-3 2048x2048px maps or one single 4096x4096px texture.

Wish you luck. You will need it, as it will be somekind of horror to make uvmapp for this :P

I don't remeber which method was better, if 2-3x 2048x2048 or a single 4096x4096. I recenly had a look at vexor and it should sport 3x2048...

Offline esarai

• Steathy boi
    • Minecraft
Both ways work well, just some GPUs can't handle the 4098s and will hate you for it.  As far as appearance goes, make sure it has uniform pixel density.

Offline Mito [PL]

• Proud Member of Slavicus Mechanicus
 :nod: :nod: :nod:
Maybe Thanatos?
How do you kill a hydra?

You starve it to death.

Here some pictures that illustrate the direction I'm following. The dark parts are heavy armored plates. I added some physical plates too like the ones you see on the bow... unwrapping is now at 70% more or less.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
Gorgeous.

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• The Cthulhu programmer himself!
    • Twitter
This looks utterly amazing. Can't wait to see it finished!
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Codethulhu GitHub wgah'nagl fhtagn.

schrödinbug (noun) - a bug that manifests itself in running software after a programmer notices that the code should never have worked in the first place.

When you gaze long into BMPMAN, BMPMAN also gazes into you.

"I am one of the best FREDders on Earth" -General Battuta

<Aesaar> literary criticism is vladimir putin

<MageKing17> "There's probably a reason the code is the way it is" is a very dangerous line of thought. :P
<MageKing17> Because the "reason" often turns out to be "nobody noticed it was wrong".
(the very next day)
<MageKing17> this ****ing code did it to me again
<MageKing17> "That doesn't really make sense to me, but I'll assume it was being done for a reason."
<MageKing17> **** ME
<MageKing17> THE REASON IS PEOPLE ARE STUPID
<MageKing17> ESPECIALLY ME

<MageKing17> God damn, I do not understand how this is breaking.
<MageKing17> Everything points to "this should work fine", and yet it's clearly not working.
<MjnMixael> 2 hours later... "God damn, how did this ever work at all?!"
(...)
<MageKing17> so
<MageKing17> more than two hours
<MageKing17> but once again we have reached the inevitable conclusion
<MageKing17> How did this code ever work in the first place!?

<@The_E> Welcome to OpenGL, where standards compliance is optional, and error reporting inconsistent

<MageKing17> It was all working perfectly until I actually tried it on an actual mission.

<IronWorks> I am useful for FSO stuff again. This is a red-letter day!
* z64555 erases "Thursday" and rewrites it in red ink

<MageKing17> TIL the entire homing code is held up by shoestrings and duct tape, basically.

Offline cahdoge

• Is a lubricated bug a butterfly?
A very beautiful ship!  :yes: :yes: :yes:
how about naming it Phobetor.
 https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phobetor
Understanding do you me?

Offline fightermedic

• quite a nice guy, no really, i am
here is a normal map for the panels texture, if you want to use it:

[attachment deleted by an evil time traveler]
>>Fully functional cockpits for Freespace<<
>>Ships created by me<<
Campaigns revised/voice-acted by me:
Lightning Marshal 1-4, The Regulus Campaign, Operation: Savior, Operation: Crucible, Titan Rebellion, Fall of Epsilon Pegasi 1.1Aftermath 2.1,
Pandora's Box 2.2, Deep Blood

Other Campaigns I have participated in:
The Antagonist, Warzone, Phantoms & Echo-Gate

All the stuff I release is free to use or change in any way for everybody who likes to do so; take whatever you need

not a fan, i'd prefer a clean, sleek, 'ceramic' look to those plates, like whitearrow is doing right now
The good Christian should beware of mathematicians, and all those who make empty prophecies. The danger already exists that the mathematicians have made a covenant with the devil to darken the spirit and to confine man in the bonds of Hell.