Author Topic: Velocity Mod?  (Read 1639 times)

Offline yuezhi

• no u
  • ¿¡you dare defy the commodore‽
Looking way back in the trashcan I found this fossil.
Now I expect the immediate response would be "gedder dun yerself". So instead I'll ask how was it? Awesome?
ϟIn Neo-Terra we Trustϟ
ϟGreat Tin Can Run (Download
☭Gods and Conquerors  - mission design, tech descriptions, sounds; currently 5% Book of Invasions(reserved)☭

░░░░░░███████ ]▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄        ︻╦╤─   Bob is building an army.
    ▂▄▅█████████▅▄▃▂          ☻/         This tank & Bob are against Google+
Il███████████████████].       /▌          Copy and Paste this all over
  ◥⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙◤...     / \          Youtube if you are with us!

Offline fightermedic

• quite a nice guy, no really, i am
i'm planning to do a complete rebalance of the main freespace campaigns with changed flight physics since i'm done with doing just that for Lightning Marshall, but there is allways something more interesting getting in the way :(
the rebalanced table itself is done if you want it
« Last Edit: October 30, 2013, 03:19:40 pm by fightermedic »
>>Fully functional cockpits for Freespace<<
>>Ships created by me<<
Campaigns revised/voice-acted by me:
Lightning Marshal 1-4, The Regulus Campaign, Operation: Savior, Operation: Crucible, Titan Rebellion, Fall of Epsilon Pegasi 1.1Aftermath 2.1,
Pandora's Box 2.2, Deep Blood

Other Campaigns I have participated in:
The Antagonist, Warzone, Phantoms & Echo-Gate

All the stuff I release is free to use or change in any way for everybody who likes to do so; take whatever you need

Offline Sushi

• Art Critic
Hah, that was mine! Not sure if it's still hosted anywhere, though. It would still work on vanilla FS2, but not on anything more modern due to table conflicts (this was made before TBMs existed). It wasn't terribly complicated: just doubling a lot of table values for ships and weapons.

I know there are several projects that have or do exist to rebalance FS2 flight physics but I don't have any handy links for them. Also, several TCs that start with faster physics from the beginning. (e.g. Diaspora: actual speeds are only slightly higher, but ships are so much smaller that it feels much faster).

By the way, having done a bunch of stuff related to this for Diaspora, I can say with confidence that the biggest problem with "high-velocity" mods is that they screw up the AI. There are a ton of hardcoded speed/distance thresholds in the AI code, and going too quickly tends to lock the AI into certain behaviors and out of others. So your mileage may vary.

Offline yuezhi

• no u
  • ¿¡you dare defy the commodore‽
I remember somewhere saying Subach HL-7 projectiles moving at 9000 m/s. :wtf: That's a joke, right?

Spoiler:
:nervous: And I didn't know you have a brother
ϟIn Neo-Terra we Trustϟ
ϟGreat Tin Can Run (Download
☭Gods and Conquerors  - mission design, tech descriptions, sounds; currently 5% Book of Invasions(reserved)☭

░░░░░░███████ ]▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄        ︻╦╤─   Bob is building an army.
    ▂▄▅█████████▅▄▃▂          ☻/         This tank & Bob are against Google+
Il███████████████████].       /▌          Copy and Paste this all over
  ◥⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙◤...     / \          Youtube if you are with us!

You might want to look at Joshua's RealFlight mods, about halfway down the page here. They're based on both Sushi's mod and the BtRL flight model. I last tried them using 3.6.10 and they seemed to work in as far as I tested them, but I remember him saying that they seemed to be somewhat broken using that build (IIRC they were made during the 3.6.9 era).

Offline fightermedic

• quite a nice guy, no really, i am
that's my flight model table for those interested:
http://www.mediafire.com/download/ke63r9n5m3v1cx7/flightModel-shp.rar

however they requite newtonian dampening to be activated or things will be strange
>>Fully functional cockpits for Freespace<<
>>Ships created by me<<
Campaigns revised/voice-acted by me:
Lightning Marshal 1-4, The Regulus Campaign, Operation: Savior, Operation: Crucible, Titan Rebellion, Fall of Epsilon Pegasi 1.1Aftermath 2.1,
Pandora's Box 2.2, Deep Blood

Other Campaigns I have participated in:
The Antagonist, Warzone, Phantoms & Echo-Gate

All the stuff I release is free to use or change in any way for everybody who likes to do so; take whatever you need