Author Topic: How come no one ported X3 ships in Freepsace?  (Read 9442 times)

Offline TrashMan

• T-tower Avenger. srsly.
  • God-Emperor of your kind!
    • Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
How come no one ported X3 ships in Freepsace?
X3 has some really good looking ships that look fine even today. Especially if you count in mods.
Many of he boron ships would make fantastic vasudan vessels (with just a small color change)

How come no one did it?

Chart of vanila ships:
http://www.fybertech.com/4thread/v_125159149/1326650029700.jpg

Some great modded ones:
http://bbs.deeptimes.org/data/attachment/forum/201112/18/125724r9l5rq2u1l9irn9r.jpg

http://img165.poco.cn/mypoco/myphoto/20111204/03/563825992011120403230404.jpg
Nobody dies as a virgin - the life ****s us all!

You're a wrongularity from which no right can escape!

Offline Darius

Re: How come no one ported X3 ships in Freepsace?
It's been plenty done before with mixed results.

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
Yeah, I remember those. :) X3 ships were a thing back when I was on the main team. They were inefficient, had texture problems (due to being reskinned in a somewhat odd way) and could bring legal issues with them as well. They did look nice, though I hated working with them.

I wouldn't be against seeing a couple of straight conversions using the original textures (as opposed to reskinning them like BP did), but it's not a straightforward job.

Offline starbug

• DarkSide Animations
How do you extract the X3 models and get them into 3ds max?, as there are a couple of ships i like
http://www.youtube.com/user/AnubisX1

if there is any consistancy with the Shivans, it's their lack of consistancy - -Norbert-

Offline NeonShivan

• Previously known as BTA
  • By the Omnisiah's grace.
Yeah, I remember those. :) X3 ships were a thing back when I was on the main team. They were inefficient, had texture problems (due to being reskinned in a somewhat odd way) and could bring legal issues with them as well. They did look nice, though I hated working with them.

I wouldn't be against seeing a couple of straight conversions using the original textures (as opposed to reskinning them like BP did), but it's not a straightforward job.

You can argue fair use and properly cite the original models, I don't see why X3 developers would mind if their models were used for non-profit purposes so long as they're properly cited.
In German even the most beautiful love letter sounds like an execution order -Mito

(•_•)
 <)  )/
 /  \ All the Single Ladies

( •_•)
\(  (>

(•_•)
 <)  )/
 /  \  Oh Oh Oh

Author of Dusk Wars - A modification for Freespace 2.

Offline headdie

• i don't use punctuation lol
  • Lawful Neutral with a Chaotic outook
    • Minecraft
    • Headdie on Deviant Art

You can argue fair use and properly cite the original models, I don't see why X3 developers would mind if their models were used for non-profit purposes so long as they're properly cited.

Fair use on what grounds?
Some countries the law requires you to enforce you ownership when every you find a breach to keep the ownerships regardless of how its used
Minister of Interstellar Affairs Sol Union - Retired
quote General Battuta - "FRED is canon!"
Contact me at [email protected]
My Release Thread, Old Release Thread, Celestial Objects Thread, My rubbish attempts at art

Offline Darius

How do you extract the X3 models and get them into 3ds max?, as there are a couple of ships i like

Google DBOX2 for 3ds max

Offline starbug

• DarkSide Animations
Cheers Darius : )
http://www.youtube.com/user/AnubisX1

if there is any consistancy with the Shivans, it's their lack of consistancy - -Norbert-

Fair use is a positive defence (i.e. it only exists when you're in court being sued for IP theft) and the terms under which it applies are much, much narrower than 'non-profit purposes'.
The good Christian should beware of mathematicians, and all those who make empty prophecies. The danger already exists that the mathematicians have made a covenant with the devil to darken the spirit and to confine man in the bonds of Hell.

Offline NeonShivan

Well, had you still considered perhaps asking the developers?
In German even the most beautiful love letter sounds like an execution order -Mito

(•_•)
 <)  )/

( •_•)
\(  (>

(•_•)
 <)  )/
 /  \  Oh Oh Oh

Offline TrashMan

• T-tower Avenger. srsly.
  • God-Emperor of your kind!
    • Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
Nobody dies as a virgin - the life ****s us all!

You're a wrongularity from which no right can escape!

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
BP at one point got refused couldn't obtain permission for the model we wanted to use. So there's that. If you can get an X3 mod to hand over its models for conversion (and manage to convert them so that they looks good), then I'm sure it'd be very welcome.

Offline Darius

Not sure what you're on about Dragon.
The head of the X-tended modpack was happy for us to use their models but couldn't get in contact with the modellers to get specific permission. That was why we discarded them.

Again, modded ships from X3 were ported over several times, from Cadius X-tra ship pack

Custos-X
Custos
Morena MacDuff
Florence

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
Ah, you're right. Fixed. :) I recall something like this about the model we wanted for the UEF AWACS ship (the large one, with a big cluster of dishes on top). Then again, that was long ago. TBH, I forgot that Cadius' pack was from X3 as well.

Well, because of fairness:
The Florence is MY model. Cadius had the allowness to use it and modified it for one of his X3-projects...
I was really wondered when playing war in heavon and seeing the ship...

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
Funny how things turned out. :) Well, it's a really good model, do you still have the original files? While the current Florence looks pretty nice, that doesn't mean there's no way to improve it.

Offline NeonShivan

Well, because of fairness:
The Florence is MY model. Cadius had the allowness to use it and modified it for one of his X3-projects...
I was really wondered when playing war in heavon and seeing the ship...

*cough*

(•_•)
 <)  )/

( •_•)
\(  (>

(•_•)
 <)  )/
 /  \  Oh Oh Oh

sins. i love that game though never used the carrier much.

Sins model vs. my model... i rebuild the model for X3 and have not used the original one.

As you can see here i already made this in 2009.
http://forum.egosoft.com/viewtopic.php?t=265516

And yes, it´s just fair to name me as the creator of the basic model which Cadius used.
That was the agreement we made.  :nod:

@Dragon: You can download the file (and other ships) from the list at the link. All files are still there, just the pictures are missing.

Offline Darius

Thanks for letting us know Lc4Hunter.

Are you still happy for us to use it in the mod? I'll update the wiki and ingame credits to reflect proper creator.