Author Topic: Strange Bug with Surface Shields & Beams  (Read 1034 times)

Strange Bug with Surface Shields & Beams
I have some beam cannons with the "no pierce shields" flag, and some capital ships with the "surface shields" flag and $Shield Impact Explosion set.

However, when the beam cannons hit, they keep using their normal $Impact Explosion. This is persistent across capital ship turret beams and fighter gunpoint beams. All non-beam weapons correctly use the assigned $Shield Impact Explosion.
"Obviously the meson bomb is a form of cat-toast-device, with the buttered toast inverted, so that the cat and toast both fly in the direction of gravity much faster than expected. By introducing artificial gravity, a pair of cat-toast perpetual motion accelerator units can be made to collide with one another, and they produce an unimaginably devastating explosion. Both cats are named 'Meson'."

- Wikileaks 2383

Offline zookeeper

• *knock knock* Who's there? Poe. Poe who?
Re: Strange Bug with Surface Shields & Beams
Looks like several of the new shield-related features I've added, such as shield impact explosions, only work with regular weapons, not beams. This particular one should be easy to fix though, I'll see what I can do.

For interested coders: this is because beam collisions don't go through ship_weapon_check_collision(), only beam_collide_ship(), whereas all that new stuff exists only in the former. As said, shield impact explosions ought to be easy to fix, model point shields shouldn't be affected, but auto spread shields might be annoying to port over.