Author Topic: Weird error i cant figure out  (Read 1814 times)

Offline Lowcorn

• this makes me a seriously emo panda lol
Weird error i cant figure out
Hi Folks!

So i'm getting this error-

mv_assets-wep.tbm(line 111):
Error: Required token = [#End] or [$Name:], found [$Model File:      S_Rockeye.pof].

ntdll.dll! ZwWaitForSingleObject + 12 bytes
KERNELBASE.dll! WaitForSingleObject + 18 bytes
fred2_open_3_7_2_SSE.exe! <no symbol>

now what i cant figure out is that mv_Assets-wep.tbm isn't anything i have inside the mod folder i'm using. At first i thought it might be from the settings in my mod.ini but changing the primary and secondary lists to different other options doesn't change the effect. And leaving them 100% blank does nothing ether.

Anyone have thoughts?

Thanksss!

side note,
I seem to have hit the cap for how many ships i can have >.>

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
Re: Weird error i cant figure out
Please post your fs2_open.log file.  Instructions on how to do this can be found in this post.

mv_assets-wp.tbm is a file from the MediaVPs.

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• The Cthulhu programmer himself!
    • Twitter
now what i cant figure out is that mv_Assets-wep.tbm isn't anything i have inside the mod folder i'm using. At first i thought it might be from the settings in my mod.ini but changing the primary and secondary lists to different other options doesn't change the effect. And leaving them 100% blank does nothing ether.
mv_assets-wep.tbm is in the MediaVPs' "MV_Assets.vp" file. Changing your mod.ini won't do anything until you change mods in the launcher, because it won't re-parse the mod.ini until you re-select the mod. That being said, the error makes no sense. Judging by the line number, it's the 3.6.12 MediaVPs, but just as in the 2014 MediaVPs, that line is immediately preceded by a "$Name:" line, so for FSO to be looking for a "$Name:" line again should require it to have failed to find any valid entries, but "$Model file:" is a field dating back to retail. On the other hand, the 3.6.12 MediaVPs are quite outdated at this point, and new mods should really be using the 2014 MediaVPs instead. Still, if you want to help us figure out this bizarre error, please post your fs2_open.log file.  Instructions on how to do this can be found in this post.

fred2_open_3_7_2_SSE.exe
In addition to the 3.6.12 MediaVPs being out of date, FSO 3.7.2 is also out of date. You should use 3.7.4 instead. Also, unless your CPU is positively ancient, it should support at least SSE2 and you can just use the standard builds instead of SSE ones.
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Codethulhu GitHub wgah'nagl fhtagn.

schrödinbug (noun) - a bug that manifests itself in running software after a programmer notices that the code should never have worked in the first place.

When you gaze long into BMPMAN, BMPMAN also gazes into you.

"I am one of the best FREDders on Earth" -General Battuta

<Aesaar> literary criticism is vladimir putin

<MageKing17> "There's probably a reason the code is the way it is" is a very dangerous line of thought. :P
<MageKing17> Because the "reason" often turns out to be "nobody noticed it was wrong".
(the very next day)
<MageKing17> this ****ing code did it to me again
<MageKing17> "That doesn't really make sense to me, but I'll assume it was being done for a reason."
<MageKing17> **** ME
<MageKing17> THE REASON IS PEOPLE ARE STUPID
<MageKing17> ESPECIALLY ME

<MageKing17> God damn, I do not understand how this is breaking.
<MageKing17> Everything points to "this should work fine", and yet it's clearly not working.
<MjnMixael> 2 hours later... "God damn, how did this ever work at all?!"
(...)
<MageKing17> so
<MageKing17> more than two hours
<MageKing17> but once again we have reached the inevitable conclusion
<MageKing17> How did this code ever work in the first place!?

<@The_E> Welcome to OpenGL, where standards compliance is optional, and error reporting inconsistent

<MageKing17> It was all working perfectly until I actually tried it on an actual mission.

<IronWorks> I am useful for FSO stuff again. This is a red-letter day!
* z64555 erases "Thursday" and rewrites it in red ink

<MageKing17> TIL the entire homing code is held up by shoestrings and duct tape, basically.

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam
Also, unless your CPU is positively ancient, it should support at least SSE2 and you can just use the standard builds instead of SSE ones.

This seems to come up a lot.  I wonder if *_SSE.exe should be renamed *_SSE_legacy.exe  People who have an understanding of what SSE is will be likely to choose the build that mentions it, not knowing that the standard build has SSE2 support.  It's like the previous problem we had (users not choosing SSE2 because they didn't know what it was), but in reverse: tech-savvy people choosing SSE because they know it's an optimization their CPU supports, not realizing FSO standard has SSE2 support.

EDIT: I take that back...

What would probably have been least confusing, would have been to label all non-SSE builds *_legacey.exe, and just do *_standard_SSE2.exe to show that this is the normal build to be using for most folks.

Offline Yarn

What would probably have been least confusing, would have been to label all non-SSE builds *_legacey.exe, and just do *_standard_SSE2.exe to show that this is the normal build to be using for most folks.
In addition to something like that, I say discontinue the SSE builds. That would reduce clutter and make it unnecessary to directly reference SSE/SSE2 in build names. And the small number of players with CPUs that support SSE but not SSE2 would still be able to run the legacy (no-SSE) builds.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2016, 01:09:28 pm by Yarn »
"Your fighter is running out of oil.  Please check under the hood and add more if necessary"
--strings.tbl, entry 177

"Freespace is very tired.  It is shutting down to get some rest."
--strings.tbl, entry 178