Author Topic: Blue planet ships have no cockpit?  (Read 4315 times)

Offline emark4

Blue planet ships have no cockpit?
Hello, i downloaded a blue planet mod from Metaldestoryer which enables cockpits. It works on the stock model ships but when playing as the Blue Planet ships, like the Aurora and the Uhlan, no cockpit shows.

I made sure the mod is in a separate folder called cockpit mod and enabled it im the launcher (-mod cockpitmod)
I checked the tbm files and all of the ship entries have the show ship flag. I think i am missing something here.

Metaldestroyer, i left a pm for you earlier reguarding this but feel free to reply here to me as well. Thx.

This post was originally on the blue planet section but this is a duplicate here since it relates more to modding the game.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
Re: Blue planet ships have no cockpit?
The team doesn't officially support cockpit mods, but it should only be a few minutes' work to make on. Hopefully somebody can hook you up.

Offline emark4

The team doesn't officially support cockpit mods, but it should only be a few minutes' work to make on. Hopefully somebody can hook you up.

Okay, im aware that cockpits are not a thing by default on blue planet, i got the cockpit mods via a third party (from metaldestoryer) and supposedly gives the UEF and othe bp ships cockpits. I sent a pm to metaldestoryer and hopign for a response soon.

Offline Aesaar

The simplest way (and the one I often use) is to go into the ship tables and add "show ship" to every ship's flags.  Can obscure the dialogue window.

Offline Cobra

• Snake on a Cain
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
I petition that Aesaar make cockpits for each UEF ship. :P

because someone needs to be crazy enough to do it :nervous:
To consider the Earth as the only populated world in infinite space is as absurd as to assert that in an entire field of millet, only one grain will grow. - Metrodorus of Chios
I wept. Mysterious forces beyond my ken had reached into my beautiful mission and energized its pilots with inhuman bomb-firing abilities. I could only imagine the GTVA warriors giving a mighty KIAAIIIIIII shout as they worked their triggers, their biceps bulging with sinew after years of Ivan Drago-esque steroid therapy and weight training. - General Battuta

Offline emark4

The simplest way (and the one I often use) is to go into the ship tables and add "show ship" to every ship's flags.  Can obscure the dialogue window.

So should i like, go into the bp complete root directory  find the ship tables, and add it from there? Because the mod i have here already installed has the show ship flags, especially for the blue planet exclusive ships.

Offline Aesaar

But Steve-O already did that!  They look great, too.  That's why show ship works fairly well.  At least for the Uhlan, Kent, Uriel, and Durga.

So should i like, go into the bp complete root directory  find the ship tables, and add it from there? Because the mod i have here already installed has the show ship flags, especially for the blue planet exclusive ships.
The mod you're using was made for a much older version of BP.  That's probably why it doesn't work.  I can't say for sure, because I've never used it.  I always just added show ship to UEF fighters in bp-shp.tbm.

Offline Cobra

• Snake on a Cain
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter

But Steve-O already did that!  They look great, too.  That's why show ship works fairly well.  At least for the Uhlan, Kent, Uriel, and Durga.

How much work would it be to make functional versions of the cockpits, a la Diaspora?
To consider the Earth as the only populated world in infinite space is as absurd as to assert that in an entire field of millet, only one grain will grow. - Metrodorus of Chios
I wept. Mysterious forces beyond my ken had reached into my beautiful mission and energized its pilots with inhuman bomb-firing abilities. I could only imagine the GTVA warriors giving a mighty KIAAIIIIIII shout as they worked their triggers, their biceps bulging with sinew after years of Ivan Drago-esque steroid therapy and weight training. - General Battuta

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
metaldestroyer's mod probably doesn't work because the pof names changed? I guess? I don't know. But it should be ten minutes' work to make a new one.

Offline emark4

The mod you're using was made for a much older version of BP.  That's probably why it doesn't work.  I can't say for sure, because I've never used it.  I always just added show ship to UEF fighters in bp-shp.tbm.

So its outdated huh. That sure explanes it.

I am trying the show ship method and the cockpit appeared!😀

Except now i have this strange mirror glass thing. Anyway how to deal with that?

And i can always move the cockpit camera with the cockpit offset line like in the older mods correct?

Offline procdrone

• Formerly TheHound
  • Balance breaker! Thats me!
    • Steam
THere was a mod adding cocpits, but digging that up now seems impossible, unless someone still have the files?

P.S. this thread should be made in Blue Planet subforum.
--Did it! It's RELEASED! VeniceMirror Thread--

Offline Aesaar

How much work would it be to make functional versions of the cockpits, a la Diaspora?
No idea.  I've never looked into it.  Not even sure how it's done.

Offline Mito [PL]

• Proud Member of Slavicus Mechanicus
Except now i have this strange mirror glass thing. Anyway how to deal with that?
I think turning off environment maps will help. You can always check if it works in F3 lab (press F3 in main menu) for laziness' sake.
How do you kill a hydra?

You starve it to death.

Sorry for butting in - I presume it's unfair to make another thread when there's a few people asking similar questions. I've modified a copy of bp-shp.tbm to add the "show ship" flag for all playable ships I'd like, how do I repackage it back into the VP I ripped it from? Using Dragon UNPacker5 I can rip things fine, I don't know how to repackage. If I'm a huge idiot and wasting time, I do apologize.
A story like the previous one never existed...

Offline emark4

Sorry for butting in - I presume it's unfair to make another thread when there's a few people asking similar questions. I've modified a copy of bp-shp.tbm to add the "show ship" flag for all playable ships I'd like, how do I repackage it back into the VP I ripped it from? Using Dragon UNPacker5 I can rip things fine, I don't know how to repackage. If I'm a huge idiot and wasting time, I do apologize.

Im new to modding this stuff too. But from my experience you gotta :

1-create a data folder if you dont have one in the bp or freespace 2 directory (where the ships data would reside in).

2- create a folder called tables in the data folder

3- put your modded tbm file into the table folder.

4-test it and see if it works.

I was told that the files not in the vp package would be prioritized by thr game first. The modded tbm file should be active instead of the unmodded one in the vp file. I dont think u need to repackage it into a vp file.

4-test it and see if it works.
[/quote]

Thanks for the advice. Oddly enough the cockpit overrides on Free Look view only - NumPad 0. Not the actual default cockpit/first-person view.

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
emark4 is correct. Editing vps is something you should not do, period; If you do it, and an update comes along, you will lose all your changes. If you follow emark's suggestion, you will not lose your customizations when an update happens (And, if your modifications happen to break something, you can easily get back to a working state by just deleting a single file)
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

emark4 is correct. Editing vps is something you should not do, period; If you do it, and an update comes along, you will lose all your changes. If you follow emark's suggestion, you will not lose your customizations when an update happens (And, if your modifications happen to break something, you can easily get back to a working state by just deleting a single file)
Right, I don't intend to mess with .VP files, just recreate what I've had before with older cockpit view modifications. I think I may have implimented something incorrectly, is the overlay meant to be default or only on free look view?