Author Topic: Ship of Theseus  (Read 11596 times)

Offline Mars

• I have no originality
  • Attempting unreasonable levels of reasonable
I feel like Dragon is making a reference to the soul. Not sure if that is conjecture. The real thing that holds things to a name is form information, as has been stated (memes.) That is something that can be grasped even in a materialistic philosophy.

Offline Herra Tohtori

• The Academic
  • Bad command or file name
I guess it wouldn't be far off to speak of machine spirit... :drevil:
There are three things that last forever: Abort, Retry, Fail - and the greatest of these is Fail.

Offline watsisname

Here's another question: if I duplicated a computer down to every single atom so that every component, every speck of dust, every electrical charge were completely identical, then destroyed the original at exactly the same time, why wouldn't it be the same computer?

Because, while the parts are identical, they aren't the same parts
What makes them different?  The atoms that make it up carry absolutely no information about what it is they're constituting, so what is it that makes these two hypothetical computers different?

Their world lines. :)
In my world of sleepers, everything will be erased.
I'll be your religion, your only endless ideal.
Slowly we crawl in the dark.
Swallowed by the seductive night.

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
I feel like Dragon is making a reference to the soul. Not sure if that is conjecture. The real thing that holds things to a name is form information, as has been stated (memes.) That is something that can be grasped even in a materialistic philosophy.
Note, I was not speaking of "soul" in the spiritual sense. There really isn't a different word that can describe things which are unrelated, but have the same effect of "personalizing" an object such as a computer, a car or a ship. For a person, this indeed is information and memes, the actual personality. For computers, it's the HD contents (hardware quirks can happen, but are rare, reinstalling the OS usually results in a "blank slate" without the usual glitches). However, for other things, it's various things that either appear over time or are inherent in the construction method. Those thing make a complex piece of technology unique, despite being made of mass produced parts.
Okay then, is it still the Ship of Theseus if you probably still have original planks on board but maybe have already replaced them all?
If you can't be sure of whether there are still original parts left, you can't be sure of that, either (the probabilities of either state are proportional to the average confidence level in it). If nobody knows for sure and there are no logs (with probabilities being 50-50), then this question can't, in fact, be answered for that particular vessel. If you want to be pedantic, you might assume a superposition of both states, but I'm not sure if doing it for the entire ship is a valid reasoning (works for particles, though). :)

Offline zookeeper

• *knock knock* Who's there? Poe. Poe who?
So I've been studying Metaphysics lately. It's fun! Recently we tackled a very interesting question:

In ancient times, Theseus built a ship he used to defend Athens. After Theseus died, the Athenians decided to preserve his ship as a memorial. But after a time, a few of the planks started to rot, so the Athenians removed them and replaced them with fresh ones. A few years later, more planks started to rot and were replaced. This continued for centuries, until one day every plank of the ship had been replaced- there wasn't a single original plank left! Is it still the same ship Theseus used? If not, when did it stop being Theseus's ship?

For an added twist, suppose the old, partly-rotted planks were not discarded, but stored in a museum. Then, after every single plank has been replaced, someone takes all the rotted planks and puts them back together to form a ship. So now you have two ships. Which one is the ship of Theseus?

Who wants to try and answer? I myself am stumped.

I don't understand why people bother with questions like that. It's just a matter of semantics, nothing more. If you want to define the idea of "ship of Theseus" so that both ships match, then fine. If you want to define it so that only one of them matches, then fine. Whichever definition you pick, it doesn't matter at all, and certainly the answer doesn't tell us anything about anything but yourself.

Offline Gray

So I've been studying Metaphysics lately. It's fun! Recently we tackled a very interesting question:

In ancient times, Theseus built a ship he used to defend Athens. After Theseus died, the Athenians decided to preserve his ship as a memorial. But after a time, a few of the planks started to rot, so the Athenians removed them and replaced them with fresh ones. A few years later, more planks started to rot and were replaced. This continued for centuries, until one day every plank of the ship had been replaced- there wasn't a single original plank left! Is it still the same ship Theseus used? If not, when did it stop being Theseus's ship?

For an added twist, suppose the old, partly-rotted planks were not discarded, but stored in a museum. Then, after every single plank has been replaced, someone takes all the rotted planks and puts them back together to form a ship. So now you have two ships. Which one is the ship of Theseus?

I don't understand why people bother with questions like that. It's just a matter of semantics, nothing more. If you want to define the idea of "ship of Theseus" so that both ships match, then fine. If you want to define it so that only one of them matches, then fine. Whichever definition you pick, it doesn't matter at all, and certainly the answer doesn't tell us anything about anything but yourself.

I tend to agree here, though i occasionally follow such discussions.

On a somewhat related note:

If i disassemble and take most parts (apart from tires, rims, license plate and the ugly Spoiler) off my neighbours car to complete the car i have in my garage, is it still my neighbours car?

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
If you can't be sure of whether there are still original parts left, you can't be sure of that, either (the probabilities of either state are proportional to the average confidence level in it). If nobody knows for sure and there are no logs (with probabilities being 50-50), then this question can't, in fact, be answered for that particular vessel. If you want to be pedantic, you might assume a superposition of both states, but I'm not sure if doing it for the entire ship is a valid reasoning (works for particles, though). :)

Do you see why a definition which allows us to categorically state that it is the Ship of Theseus is preferable to most of the people who have commented on the thread yet?
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline InsaneBaron

• In the CR055H41R2

Here's another question: if I duplicated a computer down to every single atom so that every component, every speck of dust, every electrical charge were completely identical, then destroyed the original at exactly the same time, why wouldn't it be the same computer?

Because, while the parts are identical, they aren't the same parts
What makes them different?  The atoms that make it up carry absolutely no information about what it is they're constituting, so what is it that makes these two hypothetical computers different?

Atoms still exist. I can hold up two virtually identical pieces of wood, one in each hand, and no matter how similar they are, I can say that they aren't the same object. Same with the computers.
Doesn't matter what the press says. Doesn't matter what the politicians or the mobs say. Doesn't matter if the whole country decides that something wrong is something right. This nation was founded on one principle above all else: the requirement that we stand up for what we believe, no matter the odds or the consequences. When the mob and the press and the whole world tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth, and tell the whole world — "No, you move." - Captain America

InsaneBaron's Fun-to-Read Reviews!
Blue Planet: Age of Aquarius - Silent Threat: Reborn - Operation Templar - Sync, Transcend, Windmills - The Antagonist - Inferno, Inferno: Alliance

Offline InsaneBaron

• In the CR055H41R2

It's a metaphysical question, about the nature of identity.
Doesn't matter what the press says. Doesn't matter what the politicians or the mobs say. Doesn't matter if the whole country decides that something wrong is something right. This nation was founded on one principle above all else: the requirement that we stand up for what we believe, no matter the odds or the consequences. When the mob and the press and the whole world tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth, and tell the whole world — "No, you move." - Captain America

Blue Planet: Age of Aquarius - Silent Threat: Reborn - Operation Templar - Sync, Transcend, Windmills - The Antagonist - Inferno, Inferno: Alliance

Offline zookeeper

• *knock knock* Who's there? Poe. Poe who?
It's a metaphysical question, about the nature of identity.

Yes, exactly.

Offline StarSlayer

• Men Kaeshi Do
    • Steam
You are attempting to apply an emotional/sentimental human value to an inanimate object.

The value of it being the "Ship of Theseus" purely exists as an intangible mental construct, the truth of it is always going to be defined by the beliefs of the person asked. 

There is no "right" answer.

That said as a human being I love the Constitution, she's such a bad ass.

Fifth rates eat your heart out.
“Think lightly of yourself and deeply of the world”

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.

Do you see why a definition which allows us to categorically state that it is the Ship of Theseus is preferable to most of the people who have commented on the thread yet?
Notice that this definition is flawed in that you can make a certain statement without certainty about the actual state of the ship. This definition makes the term lose meaning (i.e. anything we call Ship of Theseus is Ship of Theseus). To be able to categorically state a fact about a thing, you need to know something about that thing for certain. If you make such a statement without knowledge, you're either lying or making a meaningless statement. If there is uncertainty, you should either use superposition (it is and it isn't) state likelihoods (it might be with x% chance) or refrain from a concrete statement (it is or it isn't; I don't know).

I mean, if either ship can be categorically called the One True Ship of Theseus, it's the one with the replacement parts by continuity. But what the scenario really shows is that the abstraction of there being a thing called 'the ship of Theseus' only goes so far in describing what is ultimately a number of parts arranged in a certain way.
The good Christian should beware of mathematicians, and all those who make empty prophecies. The danger already exists that the mathematicians have made a covenant with the devil to darken the spirit and to confine man in the bonds of Hell.

Offline Aesaar

Atoms still exist. I can hold up two virtually identical pieces of wood, one in each hand, and no matter how similar they are, I can say that they aren't the same object. Same with the computers.
They aren't virtually identical, they are completely identical.  That it isn't the same atoms doesn't matter, because, again, atoms don't carry any information about the object they make up.

Why are you so sure about the computers when you're not sure about the ship?  The computer may have had everything replaced at once, but the end result is the same.

Worth noting that the computer analogy comes from a conversation in #bp about a year ago in which we tried to determine if continuity of consciousness would be maintained through quantum teleportation.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2015, 01:34:38 pm by Aesaar »

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Worth noting that the computer analogy comes from a conversation in #bp about a year ago in which we tried to determine if continuity of consciousness would be maintained through quantum teleportation.

#bp has the best discussions.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline Bobboau

• Just a MODern kinda guy
    Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
every time you replace a plank on the ship, that plank becomes a part of the ship. if you replace every plank on the ship, one by one, then each one of those planks is a plank of the ship, every time the the ship emerging whole because every part of it is part of it. the ship is an arrangement, a pattern, a collection of matter, and the fact that things enter and leave that collection does not mean that it is a different collection.

of course this is less a discussion about the nature of things as it is a discussion about how humans decide to label the world and psychology.
Bobboau, bringing you products that work... in theory
learn to use PCS
creator of the ProXimus Procedural Texture and Effect Generator
My latest build of PCS2, get it while it's hot!
PCS 2.0.3

DEUTERONOMY 22:11
Thou shalt not wear a garment of diverse sorts, [as] of woollen and linen together

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
Well, it doesn't matter for the ship if it's "of Theseus" or not. :) It's a ship, and will sail the same regardless of who it belonged to (well, that's assuming the person in question left it in good order. Sometimes they don't, and you don't want to be the next captain on schedule if that happens... :)).

Offline Bobboau

• Just a MODern kinda guy
    Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
what, you mean like replacing rotting planks?
Bobboau, bringing you products that work... in theory
learn to use PCS
creator of the ProXimus Procedural Texture and Effect Generator
My latest build of PCS2, get it while it's hot!
PCS 2.0.3

DEUTERONOMY 22:11
Thou shalt not wear a garment of diverse sorts, [as] of woollen and linen together

Offline InsaneBaron

• In the CR055H41R2
WiPhi addresses the question and its significance for Khan Academy: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dYAoiLhOuao

Offline Flipside

• əp!sd!l£
There's also the proprietorial factor to consider, rather than a soul as such. Maybe as you replace memory, hard drives etc, it remains your computer because it is your computer, there are many computers in the world, there are many boats, but what makes them distinct in many ways is who owns them. It is mostly that, not wood and cloth, not hard-drives or memory that makes an item distinct.