Author Topic: Vasudan design insperation  (Read 2339 times)

Offline starbug

• DarkSide Animations
Vasudan design insperation
I am wanting to design a vasudan destroyer as there seems to be a lack of vasudan capital ships, but i am struggling to find insperation. I have looked at beetles, scarabs, egyptian symbols etc for influence, but was wondering what you guys use for influence and insperation when designing vasudan capital ships
http://www.youtube.com/user/AnubisX1

if there is any consistancy with the Shivans, it's their lack of consistancy - -Norbert-

Offline HLD_Prophecy

• PVD_Hope in a former life
Re: Vasudan design insperation
I don't design Vasudan capital ships. :P Plus I'm not a modeller.

But, if you want my two-cents worth, I would actually say look at rocks.

I know this sounds weird, but I felt that a lot of Vasudan ships take design inspiration from rocks. Some are rocky, sort of "rumbly", if that makes sense. Take a rough, jagged structure with some crystalline parts (those crystals are definitely there in the retail Vasudan ships IMHO) and then smooth it way down. If you look at the large, flat parts of the Sobek's hull, for instance, it looks like a polished stone mosaic. At least it does to me.

Use tan, pinkish, or dark brown for the main hull, and cool blue or purple or pink for highlights. Maybe a little luminescent green, you can see it on the Taurus and Sekhmet.

Anyway, that's just my ideas. Good luck, I hope you're inspired to make something totally rad! :D

Take a look at the newer Sobek Cruiser, the Newer high detailed GVD Hatshepsut destroyer for some design cues and ideas. Try to keep the same texture style for the armor as in the Vasuden world, that's pretty much standard. There are also some newer cruiser types that are good. Look in the Freespace WIKI link on the main page.

Got Shivans? The SOC Ezechiel is the schnitzel! Don't leave base without it.

Offline starbug

• DarkSide Animations
cheers guys, its actually a destroyer i am looking for to match with the new newet and the selket cruiser, destroyer wise for vasudans there is very little on FSWIKI

if there is any consistancy with the Shivans, it's their lack of consistancy - -Norbert-

Offline Trivial Psychic

• Snoop Junkie
If you can't seem to come up with a new design, you could consider updating an old one, such as the GVD Asarte or the GVSD Het-Ka, the later of which appears to be based on an up-scaled Osiris bomber though.
The Trivial Psychic Strikes Again!

Offline starbug

• DarkSide Animations
Hmm true i did always have a soft spot for the old asartes

Offline 0rph3u5

• Oceans rise. Empires fall.
Just remember that the Vasudan design philosophy appears to favour ventral armaments (up and down in FS1, up in FS2), that why all their capital ship are rather flat as well
"As you sought to steal a kingdom for yourself, so must you do again, a thousand times over. For a theft, a true theft, must be practiced to be earned." - The terms of Nyrissa's curse, Pathfinder: Kingmaker

==================

"I am Curiosity, and I've always wondered what would become of you, here at the end of the world." - The Guide/The Curious Other, Othercide

"When you work with water, you have to know and respect it. When you labour to subdue it, you have to understand that one day it may rise up and turn all your labours into nothing. For what is water, which seeks to make all things level, which has no taste or colour of its own, but a liquid form of Nothing?" - Graham Swift, Waterland

"...because they are not Dragons."

Offline Luis Dias

that typo in the title is giving me OCD issues.

that typo in the title is giving me OCD issues.
Great, now I'm seeing it as well...

Offline Mito [PL]

• Proud Member of Slavicus Mechanicus
Yeah, I saw that from the beginning... This makes my eyes sore as much as "Vasuden" (not here, but some people are making that typo too)...
How do you kill a hydra?

You starve it to death.

Offline Nyctaeus

• The Slavic Engineer
  • My "FS Ships" folder is 582gb.
    • Minecraft
    • Exile
If you can't seem to come up with a new design, you could consider updating an old one, such as the GVD Asarte or the GVSD Het-Ka, the later of which appears to be based on an up-scaled Osiris bomber though.
Asarte cries for a few more polys for years. It's such a great design. I think you may draw a lot of inspiration from Asarte and turn it into Hatshepsut-style new heavy destroyer.
Exile | Shadow Genesis | Inferno | Series Resurrecta  | DA Profile | P3D Profile

Proud owner of NyctiShipyards. Remember - Nyx will fix it!

All of my assets including models, textures, skyboxes, effects may be used under standard CC BY-NC 4.0 license.

Offline fightermedic

• quite a nice guy, no really, i am
it's smple, look at oddgrim's stuff:
with that, you can't go wrong

the dagger and black wolf also have done some great vasudan ships over the years, for example:
http://www.hard-light.net/forums/index.php?topic=92299.msg1824868#new
>>Fully functional cockpits for Freespace<<
>>Ships created by me<<
Campaigns revised/voice-acted by me:
Lightning Marshal 1-4, The Regulus Campaign, Operation: Savior, Operation: Crucible, Titan Rebellion, Fall of Epsilon Pegasi 1.1Aftermath 2.1,
Pandora's Box 2.2, Deep Blood

Other Campaigns I have participated in:
The Antagonist, Warzone, Phantoms & Echo-Gate

All the stuff I release is free to use or change in any way for everybody who likes to do so; take whatever you need