Author Topic: [Release] Starlancer models dump  (Read 8693 times)

[Release] Starlancer models dump
Hello, I eventually managed to almost finish the conversion I started a while ago (after a long break!) and decided to post a link to the mod if someone is intersested.
I know models are old, but rather than letting the folder lie on my hdd I'd better share it here.

link: https://www.mediafire.com/?e5yt2i3816it1ud

Rather than repeating myself, I'll post the readme here ;)

Code: [Select]
Simple port of Starlancer assets to FSO

Just extract to your FSO main directory and you'll have 2 folders (starlancer and starlancer_cockpits)
Just select the mod (cockpit recommended) in the launcher (I used FSO v3.7.4 and wxlauncher v0.12_RC2)
Tested at 1920x1080

Starlancer assets list:
12 Alliance fighters (Coyote, Crusader, Grendel, Mirage, Naginata, Patriot, Phoenix, Predator, Reaper, Shroud, Tempest, Wolverine)
9 Coalition fighters (Azan, Basilisk, Haidar, Karak, Kossac, Lagg, Sabre, Sailin, Saracen)
2 Alliance bombers (Galahad, Hades)
3 Coalition bombers (Scimitar, Kamov, Kamov#Stealth)
2 Alliance transports (Lonestar, Breacher)
1 Coalition transport (Yakob)
2 Alliance freighters (Lueneburg, Mammoth)
2 Coalition freighters (Gurevich, Sharov)
7 Alliance capships (Ulysse, Reliant, Endeavor, Victorious, Bremen, Intrepid, Yamato) fromm 600 to 2400m in lenght
7 Coalition capships (Zakov, Badanov, Kiev, Ramases, Krasnaya, Pukov, Czar) from 480 to 3000m in lenght
2 Corvettes (Alliance prowler, Coalition kurgen) about 100m in lenght
2 Destroyer (Alliance kestrel, Coalition berijev) about 320m in lenght
2 Supports (Alliance nanny, Coalition antonov)
2 "Rescue" version of the support ships
2 Cargo containers
1 Mine

Other assets used:
GTT Corsair to add a 2nd coalition transport
GTI Bretonia
Asteroid base (resized)

Credits:
Table editing by Krevett62
Starlancer ships and music conversion by Krevett62
Normal/Shine maps of fighters/capships by Fightermedic
Turrets from BP assets and other models (as well as textures then) for the capships
Voices from BP to add more personas to the game
Mainhall bitmap from the defunct "Starlancer:the sol war" mod that was never published
Starlancer head ani by Ironbeer
GTT Corsair by Oddgrim
GTI Bretonia by c914
Asteroid installation by Unknow author ^^
Cockpit mod by fightermedic
Sound effects from freelancer game
And of course starlancer assets and textures from the original game (converted to dds)
Sorry if I miss anyone here

Notes:
I just post this dump as-is, feel free to use and/or expand upon this content
Sorry but most of descriptions/texts are in French
Also I did not remove FS original assets in tech room (I could have used ships.tbl and weapons.tbl but I'm lazy)
Missions were just made for testing and are far from being finished but still playable (for the first ones...)
Some assets are not totally finished and still require pof editing (especially docking points and subsystems for some of the capships), but all of them can be used ingame without major problems
Some misc ships and some capships don't have debris
Capships with debris are a bit weird, but eh...
Ships are fast and missiles are deadly (they will partially damage hull even with shields)
Capships are DANGEROUS
No beam weapons except for the Czar and the Phoenix (hey it's starlancer, they fight with torpedoes!!)
Fighters do have special features to use, they are described in the tech room (Cloak = ALT+SHIFT+F, Spectral shields = ALT+SHIFT+G, ECM = ALT+SHIFT+Q, you can change these keys by editing add-sct.tbm with notepad)
Mines just need to be set in FRED, no more scripting needed they'll detonate automatically if something gets near

Again, do not tell me the campaign is **** as it was just a sketch to test assets ;), if you like SL universe, do your own or better even make new versions of these old ships!!

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
Re: [Release] Starlancer models dump
You absolute hero.

I love these designs and always struggled to get to grips with the Starlancer editing tools.

This is a great effort.
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

Thanks I'm sorry to have no modeling skills otherwise I could have improved things a bit.
Also in the original game capships had rotating/separate subsystems but I did not manage to set them like that (except for the turrets).
Anyway in the case someone is interested I can also provide original conversions in blender format and textures in png.

Offline starlord

Great job.

Out of curiosity, what are your plans regarding the alliance/coalition base models/gates/satellites?

Also what of some ships not in your list, such as the sai, the loki, the science ship, the scarab troop transport and the ripper transport?

The sai, the loki and the ripper are in blend format, as some of the bases (Latov and another one) and just require pof editing to have them ingame.
The scarab require more works as it comes "empty" with no pods and is a bit buggy when exported (that's why it took me so long to convert some of the capships like the intrepid, endeavor and badanov, while exporting to ms3d there was some parts I had to remove because they were like "dedoubled"). Also I would need to find the pod in SL hog files!

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
I think all the ships models would be well received by this community.  :yes:
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....

I'll probably try to add the loki, sai and ripper then. But for the others I don't know if I'll have the time to dig more through SL archives it's quite messed up! Also it's sad but with my skills the ripper won't have moving pincers to catch up cargo pods...

There's also plenty other things in the archives, like satellites, bases, the ion cannon, but some models require some work to be imported in blender as explained in previous post the importer in ms3d sometimes mess up with some models duplicating and translating parts of the ship.

BTW perhaps someone can enlighten me on this, in the archives I got 4 kinds of textures (depending on the ships), standard textures, normalmaps, and sometimes (for capships especially) glowmaps and another greyed one but I don't know what kind of texture it is.

I attach two examples if someone knows about this, thanks!

[attachment stolen by Russian hackers]

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
BTW perhaps someone can enlighten me on this, in the archives I got 4 kinds of textures (depending on the ships), standard textures, normalmaps, and sometimes (for capships especially) glowmaps and another greyed one but I don't know what kind of texture it is.

I attach two examples if someone knows about this, thanks!

Just gonna take a wild guess here. Given that these textures line up exactly with the glowmaps, they are probably used to affect the lighting in some way. Now, looking at some of the fighters, it seems that the developers chose to use green for the glassy parts a lot; maybe these ships were supposed to have green windows too?
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

IDK about that, but the engine seems to use many textures I also found, but only for the fighters, a "green" and a "red" version of the textures...

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
I remember the fighters having blinking lights but not much variety to the glass and or glows.
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine

Secret bomb God.

Yeah there's no glowmaps for fighters, but they had glowpoints (and capships too) in the original.
As for the glass they were all the same, green with no transparency.

While you're here how would you classify the Sai and Loki? In the game they sucked (you can't even fly them without editing the game), but I think their stats were so low because they were not intended for players. For now the Sai is in the same category as Naginata, and for the Loki I made it a fighter-bomber.

Of course as you've probably seen, ships are not exactly like in the original game (especially regarding weapons) but as the FS engine is not exactly the same I took some freedom...

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
The sai looked like it could be a slow heavy?

Loki I just can't remember :/
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine

Secret bomb God.

Ok, I managed to import 4 new ships + escape pods for the alliance and coalition.
I still need to edit pof, the scarab can dock with 12 pods.

Some bases are in as the science cruiser of the coalition. Still need the pof editing and adding turrets, but the conversion is done.
When I get the time to finish all of this, I'll probably release an updated version if people are still interested ;)

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
I'm absolutely interested bud.  Bit confused about the jump effect in game at the moment also I don't understand the dialogue in mission of the campaign too, but that doesn't detract from the rest of the work that's gone into this as well as being reminded of just how much (in my own opinion) the CS Kiev is the perfect ship.  I absolutely loved it's style and shape at the time I got starlancer and I still love it now.  It's just darn tootin.
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine

Secret bomb God.

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
Double post, not bothered as it's all gravy and separate point.

The cyclone and tornado cruisers, I've forgotten if they were a separate model or different loadout.
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine

Secret bomb God.

For the jump effect I can answer. In SL ships did not use subspace drive (except coalition later IIRC) so I used the hyperspace effect in tables. As a side effect it makes ships jumping in almost not noticeable when they arrive.

Also for the missions there's not too much dial, I just made them as a trial and as you probably noticed, they still require to be completed and probably balanced as well (I play on medium difficulty and sometimes get totally screwed), but they are not my top priority for now.
Perhaps someone will make a true campaign with these assets, if that's the case I'm willing to help ^^

As a side note I did not post a picture, but the Saladin prison ship is in too!

Ship warping effects for Star Lancer should be a mix of Freespace 2 style and the WC Saga Mod style.
wrong answer you see hiding in that asteroid belt are 6 dralthi fighters, a Kilrathi gangbang. -Devereaux

Yeah I know it's not really good for now if you know how to do it better i'm all hears as i'd really like to improve it. Once I got a bit of free time I will probably release an updated version with additional models converted but it still need quite some work!

Offline 0rph3u5

• Oceans rise. Empires fall.
I remember that "Burning Heaven" had something that look pretty much like Starlancers rapid-acceleration jumps in their trailers. The mod has been released, so you can take a look what was going on there (I didn't have opportunity to check it out myself).
"As you sought to steal a kingdom for yourself, so must you do again, a thousand times over. For a theft, a true theft, must be practiced to be earned." - The terms of Nyrissa's curse, Pathfinder: Kingmaker

==================

"I am Curiosity, and I've always wondered what would become of you, here at the end of the world." - The Guide/The Curious Other, Othercide

"When you work with water, you have to know and respect it. When you labour to subdue it, you have to understand that one day it may rise up and turn all your labours into nothing. For what is water, which seeks to make all things level, which has no taste or colour of its own, but a liquid form of Nothing?" - Graham Swift, Waterland

"...because they are not Dragons."