Author Topic: X-Wing model now in game!  (Read 32770 times)

Offline FUBAR-BDHR

• Self-Propelled Trouble Magnet
  • Master Drunk
    • 165th Beer Drinking Hell Raisers
Re: X-Wing model now in game!
The original X-Wing was extremely easy.  You could destroy the Star Destroyer in just about every mission.  All you had to do was get the fighters to chase you with all power diverted to engines so they couldn't keep up.  Then when you were far enough away turn back on them, fly past them at full speed and assault the cap.  The cap wouldn't launch any more fighters if there were any in game.
No-one ever listens to Zathras. Quite mad, they say. It is good that Zathras does not mind. He's even grown to like it. Oh yes. -Zathras

Offline CountBuggula

• Fate of the Galaxy
The original X-Wing was extremely easy.  You could destroy the Star Destroyer in just about every mission.  All you had to do was get the fighters to chase you with all power diverted to engines so they couldn't keep up.  Then when you were far enough away turn back on them, fly past them at full speed and assault the cap.  The cap wouldn't launch any more fighters if there were any in game.

I once went through the game blowing up the star destroyers every time one appeared, but the way I did it was just taking out the fighter waves over and over until they run out (they eventually stop launching - plus you get lots more kills on your record this way).  Once it was just me and the big brute I'd make attack runs on the shield generators until they blew, then disable it if I had Ions.  Took slightly longer in an X-Wing without the Ions, and much longer in an A-Wing with only concussion missiles, but I could do it just as well in any craft.

Wow...I was a big nerd back then.  I can't believe I spent that much time with X-Wing...

Offline aRaven

you really have too much time on your hands :D

Offline Thaeris

• Can take his lumps
  • Away in Limbo
It's not that hard anymore...I'm playing it all the way through at the moment :).

It's ****ing fun.
I made it harder by trying to keep all my wingmates alive, otherwise it'd be too easy with all the skills I've developed playing flight sims. Now that's hard!

I must agree. I would send off my squadmates when they reached critical damage. I try to do the same with FreeSpace. Unfortunately the game never seemed to recognize or reward your good intentions/skills in keeping your allies alive. It seems this will not hold true in Diaspora, which I've heard will keep track of the fighters and pilots available as a whole in the battlegroup's inventory. This concept could also work well for FotG, where the Rebels are commonly undergunned and undermanned.

-Thaeris
"trolls are clearly social rejects and therefore should be isolated from society, or perhaps impaled."

-Nuke

"Look on the bright side, how many release dates have been given for Doomsday, and it still isn't out yet.

It's the Duke Nukem Forever of prophecies..."

"Jesus saves.

Everyone else takes normal damage.
"

-Flipside

"pirating software is a lesser evil than stealing but its still evil. but since i pride myself for being evil, almost anything is fair game."

"i never understood why women get the creeps so ****ing easily. i mean most serial killers act perfectly normal, until they kill you."

-Nuke

Offline Snail

• SC 5
Yeah, it will be interesting to see what innovative mission concepts FotG will implement. We've seen orgasmic ships, hopefully we'll play orgasmic missions too.

Ahem. :nervous:

Offline aRaven

For now the only things orgasmic I need are the X-Wing and TIE Fighter models :).

Offline Turambar

• Determined to inflict his entire social circle on us
  • You can't spell Manslaughter without laughter
I recognize that normal map problem from when we were putting normal maps into Homeworld 2.

They solved it with a modification to the conversion process, which i assume modified the model data in some way.  Perhaps i can ask around at Tanis Shipyards and we can modify PCX2 the same way.
10:55:48   TurambarBlade: i've been selecting my generals based on how much i like their hats
10:55:55   HerraTohtori: me too!
10:56:01   HerraTohtori: :D

Offline chief1983

• Still lacks a custom title
  • ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
It might need the model itself changed, I think some solutions involved running a narrow row of polies down the centerline of the ship.
Fate of the Galaxy - Now Hiring!  Apply within | Diaspora | SCP Home | Collada Importer for PCS2
Karajorma's 'How to report bugs' | Mantis
#freespace | #scp-swc | #diaspora | #SCP | #hard-light on EsperNet

"You may not sell or otherwise commercially exploit the source or things you created based on the source." -- Excerpt from FSO license, for reference

Nuclear1:  Jesus Christ zack you're a little too hamyurger for HLP right now...
iamzack:  i dont have hamynerge i just want ptatoc hips D:
redsniper:  Platonic hips?!
iamzack:  lays

Offline Turambar

• Determined to inflict his entire social circle on us
  • You can't spell Manslaughter without laughter
I think their solution involved changing the W coordinate for half of the ship, if the ship was symmetrical.  When we mirror in max, the W coordinate gets flipped, and we need it to remain the same.  Their program changed it in the model data, i think, but i'm not really sure how to do that manually.
10:55:48   TurambarBlade: i've been selecting my generals based on how much i like their hats
10:55:55   HerraTohtori: me too!
10:56:01   HerraTohtori: :D

Offline chief1983

• Still lacks a custom title
  • ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
Maybe that centerline thing was just a hack to trick it into not flipping the W coord.  Would be good if we could force it not to do that.  It could happen at any stage really, in max before export, applied directly to the dae, or on dae import to PCS2 (or, maybe even directly on a PMF).
Fate of the Galaxy - Now Hiring!  Apply within | Diaspora | SCP Home | Collada Importer for PCS2
Karajorma's 'How to report bugs' | Mantis
#freespace | #scp-swc | #diaspora | #SCP | #hard-light on EsperNet

"You may not sell or otherwise commercially exploit the source or things you created based on the source." -- Excerpt from FSO license, for reference

Nuclear1:  Jesus Christ zack you're a little too hamyurger for HLP right now...
iamzack:  i dont have hamynerge i just want ptatoc hips D:
redsniper:  Platonic hips?!
iamzack:  lays