Author Topic: High Poly GTD Orion  (Read 118190 times)

Offline Nyctaeus

• The Slavic Engineer
  • My "FS Ships" folder is 582gb.
    • Minecraft
    • Exile
It would be great, if the original edges remain sharp. Hades has strange tendency to smooth out most of the sharp edges of ships, like he did in Deimos, Leviathan... And now in Orion. Unfortunately it's changing original shapes and charakters of the ships. Orion should be blocky, as it was before. At this moment, Bobbau's HTL Orion and model from Freespace X3 Total Conversion are better than Hades' one for me.
Exile | Shadow Genesis | Inferno | Series Resurrecta  | DA Profile | P3D Profile

Proud owner of NyctiShipyards. Remember - Nyx will fix it!

All of my assets including models, textures, skyboxes, effects may be used under standard CC BY-NC 4.0 license.

Offline Zacam

• Magnificent Bastard
  • Administrator
  • I go Sledge-O-Matic on Spammers
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Twitter
    • ModDB Feature
What is really funny, is that any body looking at the Retail Models from FS1 and FS2 can more easily identify the last WIP shots as being an Orion.

More so than the X3 one, which has so many tacked on added "greebles for the sake of" and the current MediaVPs "more boxes for more stuff" approach.

Some slightly beveled edges or a few subtle curves are not going to over all detract from this model in a significant way, especially since we haven't seen it textured yet. And it is by far the closest return to Retail (while still being an upgrade) that this war-horse has seen yet from anybody.
Report MediaVP issues, now on the MediaVP Mantis! Read all about it Here!
Talk with the community on Discord
"If you can keep a level head in all this confusion, you just don't understand the situation"

¤[D+¬>

[08/01 16:53:11] <sigtau> EveningTea: I have decided that I am a 32-bit registerkin.  Pronouns are eax, ebx, ecx, edx.
[08/01 16:53:31] <EveningTea> dhauidahh
[08/01 16:53:32] <EveningTea> sak
[08/01 16:53:40] * EveningTea froths at the mouth
[08/01 16:53:40] <sigtau> i broke him, boys

Offline Commander Zane

• Spoot Knight of Anvils
Oh my, that looks amazing. :eek2:

Offline TwentyPercentCooler

• Operates at 375 kelvin
Mad props for taking on the ship that's the face of Freespace, so to speak, and coming up with something both easily identifiable as the Orion and also totally AWESOME.

Offline Hades

• FINISHING MODELS IS OVERRATED
  • i wonder when my polycounts will exceed my iq
EDIT: Guns are being revised.
[22:29] <sigtau> Hello, #hard-light?  I'm trying to tell a girl she looks really good for someone who doesn't exercise.  How do I word that non-offensively?
[22:29] <RangerKarl|AtWork> "you look like a big tasty muffin"
----
<batwota> wouldn’t that mean that it’s prepared to kiss your ass if you flank it :p
<batwota> wow
<batwota> KILL

Offline Skarab

I've been wondering how those turrets were going to be handled.  They remind me of the big guns on old WW2 era battleships, which I think is appropriate for this ship. Kudos.

Offline Mars

• I have no originality
  • Attempting unreasonable levels of reasonable
It would be great, if the original edges remain sharp. Hades has strange tendency to smooth out most of the sharp edges of ships, like he did in Deimos, Leviathan... And now in Orion. Unfortunately it's changing original shapes and charakters of the ships. Orion should be blocky, as it was before. At this moment, Bobbau's HTL Orion and model from Freespace X3 Total Conversion are better than Hades' one for me.

I'd imagine this complaint had been foreseen somewhat. To the point where it is, and has been, inevitable. And this is why everyone thought that an improved Orion would be impossible.

Long edit will follow.

EDIT:

What do you mean by blocky, exactly? This is an important aesthetic question. Blocky, as in "made out of straight up cubes" is not possible on a modern model while looking anywhere near on par. Blocky, as in "it's made out of huge, monolithic slabs of armor, with cannons sticking out" is exactly the look that's being sought after, as far as I can tell.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2012, 05:43:03 pm by Mars »

Offline sigtau

• unfortunate technical art assclown
I just hope it doesn't look like someone found the boolean button in Blender and started dicking around by combining cubes into a cluster**** until they made something that looked sort of like the retail Orion.

There's a boolean button in blender? Where's that at?

Also, nice model. yay.

Object Mode > Select an object > Add Modifier > Boolean

Do your worst  :ick:
Who uses forum signatures anymore?

Offline Aardwolf

• Minecraft

I'd imagine this complaint had been foreseen somewhat. To the point where it is, and has been, inevitable. And this is why everyone thought that an improved Orion would be impossible.

Long edit will follow.

EDIT:

What do you mean by blocky, exactly? This is an important aesthetic question. Blocky, as in "made out of straight up cubes" is not possible on a modern model while looking anywhere near on par. Blocky, as in "it's made out of huge, monolithic slabs of armor, with cannons sticking out" is exactly the look that's being sought after, as far as I can tell.

I imagine he's talking not so much about the "slabs" as about it being angular (as opposed to putting a fillet on so many of the edges which were originally creased).

Offline Zacam

• Magnificent Bastard
  • Administrator
  • I go Sledge-O-Matic on Spammers
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Twitter
    • ModDB Feature
We are of course also paying attention to the disparity of loadouts between FS1 and FS2 and we will hopefully coming up with a modeled Turrets system that will suffice for both.

Fortunately, it only really focuses on 8 out of the 16 Turrets that we have to really worry about from a Canon perspective. This of course won't address any additional campaigns going crazy on their loadouts.

So far, between FS1 and FS2 (counting ST and ST:R) the only turrets on the Orion that situate both Turrets and Beams are: 06, 07, 08, 09, 10, 11, 14, 16. The rest of the loadout swapping is having Flak in some spots in the first 5 multi-part/multi-barrel spots, but those can share nicely enough. Otherwise it's all variations of the same type (Weak vs Standard, AAAf vs AAAh).

If there are any high standing campaigns that sport different configurations in terms of Turrets/Flak vs Beams or that are sporting additional non-Retail turret placements, I'd personally like to hear of it. No guarantee's that we will make any concessions in trying to adapt or implement them in the new model, but at the least if we don't/can't there will be a heads-up regarding it.
Report MediaVP issues, now on the MediaVP Mantis! Read all about it Here!
Talk with the community on Discord
"If you can keep a level head in all this confusion, you just don't understand the situation"

¤[D+¬>

[08/01 16:53:11] <sigtau> EveningTea: I have decided that I am a 32-bit registerkin.  Pronouns are eax, ebx, ecx, edx.
[08/01 16:53:31] <EveningTea> dhauidahh
[08/01 16:53:32] <EveningTea> sak
[08/01 16:53:40] * EveningTea froths at the mouth
[08/01 16:53:40] <sigtau> i broke him, boys

Offline esarai

• Steathy boi
    • Minecraft
You know... there were always the Terran Turret guns that looked like they should have had rotating subsystems but never did.  Any chance we could give those an upgrade?

And also this thing looks sexy as f**k.  It's got Hades' trademark smoothness, but at the same time it hasn't lost the overall utilitarian appearance that made the Orion so distinct.  The Orion still very much feels a design of necessity and function, not aesthetics and pleasing appearances. 
<Nuclear>   truth: the good samaritan actually checked for proof of citizenship and health insurance
<Axem>   did anyone catch jesus' birth certificate?
<Nuclear>   and jesus didnt actually give the 5000 their fish...he gave it to the romans and let it trickle down
<Axem>and he was totally pro tax breaks
<Axem>he threw out all those tax collectors at the temple
<Nuclear>   he drove a V8 camel too
<Nuclear>   with a sword rack for his fully-automatic daggers

Esarai: hey gaiz, what's a good improvised, final attack for a ship fighting to buy others time to escape to use?
RangerKarl|AtWork: stick your penis in the warp core
DarthGeek: no don't do that
amki: don't EVER do that

Really, really nice. I've been thinking the orion needed doing for a while. I even attempted modelling it, before I realised I didn't have a clue. :P

My only suggestion would be (assuming you're not already planning to do this) to add even more detail to the fighterbay and runway, since mods might want the player to launch from there or dock there at the end of a mission, and I remember the current orion looking very sparse when launching from it in Mystery of the Trinity.

I remember the current orion looking very sparse when launching from it in Mystery of the Trinity.
That's a Hecate, not an Orion, and you are launching from one of its "wings".

Oops. Still applies, though.

*makes mental note to research topics before posting on them*

Offline redsniper

• Aim for the Top!
Wait what? You definitely launch from an Orion's runway thing in one nebula mission. I thought for sure it was Trinity.... :wtf:
"Think about nice things not unhappy things.
The future makes happy, if you make it yourself.
No war; think about happy things."   -WouterSmitssm

Hard Light Productions:
"...this conversation is pointlessly confrontational."

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
That was Hecate.
But you do launch from an Orion in the final mission of FS1.

Offline MatthTheGeek

• Captain Obvious
  • Frenchie McFrenchface
Wait what? You definitely launch from an Orion's runway thing in one nebula mission. I thought for sure it was Trinity.... :wtf:
You're probably thinking of a mod or campaign, cause that's definitely not in the FS2 retail campaign. Period.
People are stupid, therefore anything popular is at best suspicious.

Mod management tools     -     Wiki stuff!     -     Help us help you

666maslo666: Releasing a finished product is not a good thing! It is a modern fad.

SpardaSon21: it seems like you exist in a permanent state of half-joking misanthropy

Axem: when you put it like that, i sound like an insane person

bigchunk1: it's not retarded it's american!
bigchunk1: ...

batwota: steele's maneuvering for the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: you mispelled grâce
Awaesaar: grace
batwota: oh right :P
Darius: ah!
Darius: yes, i like that
MatthTheGeek: the way you just spelled it it means fat
Awaesaar: +accent I forgot how to keyboard
MatthTheGeek: or grease
Darius: the killing fat!
Axem: jabba does the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: XD
Axem: bring me solo and a cookie

Offline Kolgena

**** just got real. I'm not seeing pipes that are too thick anywhere.

(It looks a tid bit like Lego, but that's a plus for me if anything, since it exudes blockiness without any of the ugliness)

Offline Hades

• FINISHING MODELS IS OVERRATED
  • i wonder when my polycounts will exceed my iq

Deck guns, all credit goes to VA.
[22:29] <sigtau> Hello, #hard-light?  I'm trying to tell a girl she looks really good for someone who doesn't exercise.  How do I word that non-offensively?
[22:29] <RangerKarl|AtWork> "you look like a big tasty muffin"
----
<batwota> wouldn’t that mean that it’s prepared to kiss your ass if you flank it :p
<batwota> wow
<batwota> KILL

Offline Commander Zane

• Spoot Knight of Anvils
:jaw:

That is all.